• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds V Sharks - Round 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Doesn't the Brekky Creek (or its previous owners) own those wooden barrels? I seem to recall a brouhaha with the brewery some 35 years ago when XXXX threatened not to refill those wooden kegs. The BC owners bought up a supply of them and dared XXXX to carry out their threat. The beer's "off the wood" in the middle bar to this day.

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
Show some restraint godamit. Haven't you heard, if you bring your boots to the game, and appear half sober you could be starting a super rugby game for the sharks this weekend.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think he's trying to say that they're sister or twin cities.

They're actually not according to the wikipedia page of each city.

antimony

Herbert Moran (7)
I don't know where Rassie's going with it but I get where he's coming from. Both on the east coast about the same latitude and have monsoonal summers.

Rassie when you compare Pretoria to anywhere in the bush have you heard of a place called Canberra?

As for this game, I'm as nervous as hell. Haven't got a good record against them and don't know the players well enough to say that they're significantly weakened by injuries.

Maybe a change in tactics from the Queenslanders now we've played ball in hand boring rugby to get past the kiwi's. A bit more running to wear down the bigger South African sides over the next few weeks, hopefully

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
Reds need to take a deep breath and recognise the areas where things have not worked as well as they could have over the last two weeks. I have absolute confidence in Link to provide the ingredients to raise the bar from here

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Maybe a change in tactics from the Queenslanders now we've played ball in hand boring rugby to get past the kiwi's. A bit more running to wear down the bigger South African sides over the next few weeks, hopefully

Nothing personal but I get tired of reading this. Or do you mean they are less mobile? In which case I beg to differ. I would say the Stormers pack is as if not more mobile than the Tahs pack.

Week in week out for years not the Super packs and Bok packs have not been bigger. The Bulls pack was outweighed by the Canes and Waratahs.

Just setting it straight like...

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I don't know where Rassie's going with it but I get where he's coming from. Both on the east coast about the same latitude and have monsoonal summers.

Rassie when you compare Pretoria to anywhere in the bush have you heard of a place called Canberra?

As for this game, I'm as nervous as hell. Haven't got a good record against them and don't know the players well enough to say that they're significantly weakened by injuries.

And both cities have massive size cockroaches, for what its worth.

antimony

Herbert Moran (7)
Nothing personal but I get tired of reading this. Or do you mean they are less mobile? In which case I beg to differ. I would say the Stormers pack is as if not more mobile than the Tahs pack.

Week in week out for years not the Super packs and Bok packs have not been bigger. The Bulls pack was outweighed by the Canes and Waratahs.

Just setting it straight like.

Maybe it is just a lazy perception that I haven't updated yet, but in my head SA produces some seriously big boppers. I do note that you use the Tahs as your Aussie reference not the Reds, who have a smaller pack.

Also alluding to the style of game I expect. The Reds have been holding the ball and playing simple to limit turnovers against the NZ teams where as I expect that approach to less effective (and hopefully canned) against SA sides.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Shock move on cards for Ioane

Published: May 8, 2013 - 5:06PM

Could Wallabies winger Digby Ioane be a major selection surprise in the centres as Queensland attempts to rework its spluttering Super Rugby attack?

A potential shock move closer to the action appears on the cards for the tackle-busting Ioane after Reds coaching boss Ewen McKenzie delayed naming his starting team for Friday night's clash with the Sharks.

McKenzie will now unveil his side on Thursday after experimenting with combinations in the wake of the 11-11 draw with the Western Force when his side crossed just once despite enjoying the lion's share of possession.

The Sharks are the only side Queensland haven't beaten in four seasons under McKenzie and the Reds want to give last year's runners-up less time to plan for any selection curve-balls.

"It's a really important challenge and we'll sort (the team) out by tomorrow but we've been playing around with a few combinations and we've got a few things we want to fix," McKenzie said.

A backline reshuffle - with either Ben Tapuai, whose form has dipped in the past fortnight after starting each game this season, or Anthony Fainga'a making way for Ioane in the midfield - would also allow both Chris Feauai-Sautia and Rod Davies starts out wide.

Queensland boast the second best defence in the competition by conceding 14 tries in 11 matches but their attack has reaped 21 five-pointers as they have ground out seven wins and two draws.

Ioane was a stand-out in Perth, making 17 runs and 12 tackle busts against the strong Force defence, and has some history at outside centre for the Reds back in 2009 and 2010, as well as the Wallabies in 2009.

McKenzie confirmed the expected return of Wallabies prop James Slipper at tighthead and the loss of winger Dom Shipperley (back) wouldn't be the only alterations as he looks to shake up their play.

"We're not happy with where we are," he said. "We know we've got good players.

"The feeling is we're doing all right and we're sitting at the right end of the competition but can we do better?

One of the changes will not be Wallabies back-rower Radike Samo, 37, who finally seems to have succumbed to his age and has missed the squad after failing to impress in two club matches.

"It's one thing getting out there and running around but you have to get out there and play like a Test player," McKenzie said. "You have to earn your way back there."

AAP

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Maybe it's all a cunning plan, and Radike is raring to go.....

Greg Holmes to notch up the ton:

Ewen McKenzie won't disclose final XV
Damien Stannard, Courier-Mail: May 08, 2013 11:23AM
QUEENSLAND Reds boss Ewen McKenzie has kept his starting XV under wraps, only announcing a squad for Friday night's Super Rugby showdown with the Sharks.
Front-rower Greg Holmes is locked in to play his 100th match for Queensland at Suncorp Stadium, but otherwise, McKenzie is not gifting any information on his starting side to the South Africans.​
The return of winger Rod Davies for injured flyer Dom Shipperley (back) is the only change to the squad. Backrower Radike Samo had been considered a chance to return from a knee injury but is likely to be given another match in Brisbane club rugby this weekend.​
Holmes is set to become the first centurion since John Roe reached the 100-game mark against the Brumbies in 2008, and he will join Dan Crowley (124 games) and Stan Pilecki (122 games) as the third prop in Queensland Rugby history to reach the honour.​
As a reliable servant of the club across nine seasons, Holmes said it would be an honour to join an illustrious group of players to have played 100 games for Queensland.​
"It's quite humbling when you think about the calibre of players who have played 100 games for Queensland and the service they have given to the Reds," Holmes said.​
Queensland Reds line-up v Sharks:​
Forwards
Albert Anae, Jarrad Butler, Saia Fainga'a, Liam Gill, James Hanson, Greg Holmes, James Horwill (c), Ed O'Donoghue, Eddie Quirk, Beau Robinson, Jake Schatz, Rob Simmons, James Slipper​

Backs
Quade Cooper, Rod Davies, Anthony Fainga'a, Chris Feauai-Sautia, Will Genia (vc), Digby Ioane, Jono Lance, Ben Lucas, Ben Tapuai​

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby-...h-match-for-reds/story-fndpu22x-1226637488241

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Have you been on the XXXX Brewery Tour before? There'll be one at 4pm that would run you up until the game nicely. Tour, then beers and dinner at their restuarant and then off to the match.

That sounds alright. Do they run on Saturday. Flight home is at 9pm and apart from seeing some relations out at Springwood I have not much to do.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
I don't understand the reference Rassie, is Durban very similar to Brisbane or is it more obvious than that?
Both these teams have a rivalry dating back 1994 and both cities share the same climate, population size, and relaxed, seaside atmosphere.

I think he's trying to say that they're sister or twin cities.

They're actually not according to the wikipedia page of each city.
Yes they are
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natal_Sharks

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)

lol Do they slaughter and strip the chicken while you wait in Canberra? If yes then I think you may have a point there

Status
Not open for further replies.