• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds V Sharks - Round 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Sharks: 15 Riaan Viljoen, 14 Piet Lindeque, 13 JP Pietersen, 12 Meyer Bosman, 11 Lwazi Mvovo, 10 Pat Lambie, 9 Charl McLeod, 8 Keegan Daniel (captain), 7 Jean Deysel, 6 Marcell Coetzee, 5 Franco van der Merwe, 4 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 3 Wiehahn Herbst, 2 Kyle Cooper, 1 JC Janse van Rensburg

Substitutes: 16 Monde Hadebe, 17 Jannie du Plessis, 18 Anton Bresler, 19 Derick Minnie, 20 Willem Alberts, 21 Tian Meyer. 22 Odwa Ndungane

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Not a bad mob that.

Really disappointed with Lambie. He has played himself out of bok contention.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Really disappointed with Lambie. He has played himself out of bok contention.
Yes, likewise. Hasn't looked settled at all and he appears to be stuck in the middle of trying to play either a tactical kicking game or a more attacking, ball in hand approach. Hasn't managed to do either successfully on a consistent basis. His kicking game has not been accurate enough and when he hasn't kicked he has simply shovelled the ball down the backline with very little variation.

Same goes for the rest of the Sharks team really. The only players to have enhanced their reputations this year IMO are Pieter-Steph du Toit, Kyle Cooper and Wiehahn Herbst. Bosman has actually had a good season by his standards but he is a very limited player. The rest have gone backwards. Reinach at times has looked good, as has McLeod had very brief moments where he has shone. I don't think the rotation has helped either of them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Both these teams have a rivalry dating back 1994 and both cities share the same climate, population size, and relaxed, seaside atmosphere.

Yes they are
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natal_Sharks

"Durban and Brisbane are considered by many to be 'twin cities"

Considered by many...

If you look at each city's official list of twin/sister cities, they're not actually on each other's list.

Sorry for being pedantic.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
With the injured players on, the Sharks would be a tough proposition.
At present, the Reds clear favourites for this match. Still gotta do the hard work to take it home though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Reds:

Greg Holmes
Saia Fainga'a
James Slipper
Rob Simmons
Ed O'Donoghue
Ed Quirk
Liam Gill
Jake Schatz
Will Genia (c)
Quade Cooper
Digby Ioane
Anthony Fainga'a
Chris Feauai-Sautia
Rod Davies
Jono Lance

Res: James Hanson, Albert Anae, Adam Wallace-Harrison, Beau Robinson, Jarrad Butler, Ben Lucas, Ben Tapuai.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'll even go as far to say that I would prefer to play a full strength Shorks outfit with Horwill, than an injury ravaged mob without him. He really is THAT important to us.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah I like the backline. Just worried we don't have enough grunt up front. Hopefully with Beau coming on at 6 and Butler at 8 later in the game we should be able to secure some quick ball and those backs can do some damage against a jet lagged and disrupted Shorks team.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
They will be over their jetlag as they have been here for 2 weeks.

With Horwill out the Guppies are a much better chance but they are still the underfish by some margin.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Bugger. Going from the qualifying final last year they probably don't suffer from jet lag much anyway - at least they didn't seem to back then.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
"Durban and Brisbane are considered by many to be 'twin cities"

Considered by many...

If you look at each city's official list of twin/sister cities, they're not actually on each other's list.

Sorry for being pedantic.
you aren't being pedantic, you are being a pedant

T

TOCC

I think it's a good thing to have Horwill out, a players welfare is important and I think the effects of head knocks have been underestimated in the past

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I think it's a good thing to have Horwill out, a players welfare is important and I think the effects of head knocks have been underestimated in the past

Agree. And, just as an aside in a different vein altogether, I think it's actually open to reasonable debate as to whether Genia or Horwill is the better Reds' captain. We often forget how outstanding was the former as captain when the team was less developed and Horwill was out for a lot of 2010.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I think Genia plays a bit better when Big Kev is shouldering the bulk of the captaincy duties.

CFS - take this start with both hands. We're all waiting to see you start fulfilling your potential at Super Rugby level.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)

I think it was Ryan Girdler on the radio last weekend talking about how the head knocks he took in his playing days have contributed to his depression now. He was saying how he needs to medicate to stay even.

Status
Not open for further replies.