• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Can someone close to the Tahs get them to watch the Reds / Sharks to start to get a clue what to do with the ball when the backs get it? Lovely backline play leading to a try.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Excellent game rom the Reds. All the loosies played well and really got stuck in at the breakdown creating a bit of space for the backs to work with.

Reds play the high paced high risk offload game, and they showed very good hands tonight.

Barnes control of the backline was very good and it allowed Quade to play with a bit more freedom. Digby at centre is a real handful. His hands have improved out of sight. He plays with so much composure these days.

Geez Kockett is the most annoying player in the S14

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Also, I thought Genia had a big game and made a real difference when he came on. He's a tough bugger for a midget.

The Reds really put pressure on the Sharks defence forcing the Sharks to fall off a heap of tackles.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
ACT Crusader said:
Excellent game rom the Reds. All the loosies played well and really got stuck in at the breakdown creating a bit of space for the backs to work with.

Reds play the high paced high risk offload game, and they showed very good hands tonight.

Barnes control of the backline was very good and it allowed Quade to play with a bit more freedom. Digby at centre is a real handful. His hands have improved out of sight. He plays with so much composure these days.

Geez Kockett is the most annoying player in the S14
Closely followed by Steyn with the whiny face he pulls every time something goes wrong.
Seriously though, a great effort from the Reds and well done. As ACTC says the forwards did a great job, and the backs repaid the work with good attacking play, support and some real innovative stuff. Can't over-emphasize how good it is to see players backing themselves, and surprise, surprise they more often than not make a bust. And they backed it up. And they chased kicks. Anyone in the NSW brains trust watching???

P

PhucNgo

Stop it, you're teasing me! I'm up in boganland again where the only thing on tv is Underbelly and the NRL, if you can tell them apart. So WTF won and what was the score? Please.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Brilliant win to the Reds. Best performance by any team in S14 this year. I take my hat off to them. The Queensland master pack is back. Difference this time is that they have a great set of backs, they know how to use them and they want to use them. Phil Mooney, take a bow.

Be very afraid.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Fantastic win by the Reds.

Steyn is a big whiney girl, he spends his time shaking his locks over what happened in the last phase instead of getting on with it.

The Reds were guaranteed a result when Pinnear left the field.

P

PhucNgo

PhucNgo said:
PaarlBok said:
Well from a Saffer position, you'll get a Sharks team on full force wanting to create history. Strong pack of forwards , best defensive side and able to run riot if you dont have your defense in place. They have gain a lot of confidense after winning the CC and it will take some team to roll them over.

You're right Paarl. The Sharks were my pick to take the tourney and they don't seem to have faultered. But don't write off the Reds just yet, they're a team who will only need a sniff to go on with it. With Ioane back in at 13 this week they're going to be a handful for the Sharks' backline. The problem from the Reds point of view, as others have pointed out, will be whether their they can put the wheels back on their forwards to achieve parity from the set piece. If they can do this, and its a big if, if MMM is unavilable to train, then they'll go a long way to pulling off an upset.

IMO the Reds best chances are going to come from the set piece, particularly scrums, where if they move it wide quickly they can possibly exploit the defensive frailties of Steyn (who is not a good one-on-one defender) and Jacobs. I think Cooper and Barnes can probably conjure up enough to put Ioane thru more than a few gaps.

Their other tactic should be to play short balls thru the forwards, up the centre one off the breakdown, as they were doing in earlier rounds. The Sharks do not commit to the breakdown and are good at slowing their opponent's ball. By working in depth thru the centre and avoiding the breakdown, the Reds will suck in defenders to create gaps out wide, which is where their strength lies.

But if they can't, well... they're toast.

Suck on that PB :thumb

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
fatprop said:

Steyn is a big whiney girl, he spends his time shaking his locks over what happened in the last phase instead of getting on with it.

I have recently been in a stoush with a South African on another board (NOT TSF) where I have opined that the only possible place for Steyn in a rugby team is fullback. He can not play close to the line - (1) his passing and catching skills are lamentable (2) his decision making is absurd (3) he is extremely susceptible to Steyn Removers - every half decent tackler in opposing teams is queuing up in a competition to put a better hit on him than Rob Horne did.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Biffo said:
fatprop said:

I have recently been in a stoush with a South African on another board (NOT TSF) where I have opined that the only possible place for Steyn in a rugby team is fullback. He can not play close to the line - (1) his passing and catching skills are lamentable (2) his decision making is absurd (3) he is extremely susceptible to Steyn Removers - every half decent tackler in opposing teams is queuing up in a competition to put a better hit on him than Rob Horne did.

Don't ruin a good thing. The best thing about South African rugby is their ability to sabotage themselves with stupid selection decisions, eg: Dannie Rossouw at flanker.

P

PhucNgo

Biffo said:
fatprop said:

:lmao: But Pienaar is all class.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
naza said:
Biffo said:
fatprop said:

Don't ruin a good thing. The best thing about South African rugby is their ability to sabotage themselves with stupid selection decisions, eg: Dannie Rossouw at flanker.

Sorry, Mate. Remember how we used to pray that England would never drop Will Carling? Same reasoning.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Planet Rugby got it right in one respect - Higginbotham MOTM - but gave the reds no credit at all. PR did report that Steyn had a shocker, but didn't mention that the Reds helped him to it.

S

Spook

Biffo said:
fatprop said:

He also appears to be extremely slow of thought.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Spook said:
Biffo said:
fatprop said:

He also appears to be extremely slow of thought.

sssshhhhh. A South African selector might hear you.

P

PhucNgo

Biffo said:
Planet Rugby got it right in one respect - Higginbotham MOTM - but gave the reds no credit at all. PR did report that Steyn had a shocker, but didn't mention that the Reds helped him to it.

The new Mark Loane commeth. :thumb

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
PhucNgo said:
Biffo said:

The new Mark Loane commeth. :thumb

Indeed, indeed, it may be so.

The Wallabies will be well served for 6s. Rocky, McMinimum and Higginsbum are all just kids yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.