• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Just got home from the game! :thumb It's a great night to be a Qlder (even if i did back the sharks in the tipping comp) Ioane is an excitement machine and higgenbotham was awesome. Young Daley deserves credit for a tough initiation and barnes took a heap of pressure by playing a lot at 10. Scrum and lineout fixed after 1 week someones been doing homework.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Not sure about Higginbotham. Wasn't he who had made one of the worst passes I have ever seen to bomb a certain try?

Reds played well, but there is still improvement there, and should have had the game wrapped up after 60mins. Happy with the win of course though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
amazing performance.

I would have almost given man of the match to Ben Daley. Thought he was superb. held the scrum up just fine but did a pile of work around the ruck, plenty of (effective) tackles too. Shees he's bulked up a bit too since his last game v the Cru last year.

Genia has been cited on his tackle. Bye next week so interesting to see what may happen. Lucas probably out injured? Start with McKibbon? At least we'll kick some goals!!!

I wonder if that big lug that took (was it Higgers?) out with the shoulder charge got cited as well?

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I would have almost given man of the match to Ben Daley. Thought he was superb. held the scrum up just fine but did a pile of work around the ruck, plenty of (effective) tackles too.

He is a brilliant tackler I loved watching him play & he gets around the paddock like another openside.

Genia has been cited on his tackle. Bye next week so interesting to see what may happen. Lucas probably out injured? Start with McKibbon? At least we'll kick some goals!!!

I wonder if that big lug that took (was it Higgers?) out with the shoulder charge got cited as well?

It was Higginbotham that got nailed but I expect Genia to miss the Chiefs game unfortunately it didn't look good.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Bloody Foxtel satellite cut over a few times during the game.

Yeah, expect Genia to be suspended for a few weeks, especially as he avoided a yellow card in game which was very lucky for the Reds.

Was very impressed with Daley, and Kennedy when he came on. Kennedy looks like a solid lump of a kid.

Braid has been very good for the Reds over the last few weeks. Think he was a great buy. Good to see 3M really going well, and Higgenbotham too. Wasn't very impressed with Ezra Taylor, though. But he's still coming back from injury. Good to see the Reds getting some depth at lock and 6 - about time they developed some depth in the forwards.

Sharks were a little disappointing though. Once Pienaar was off, it was all over for them once Steyn moved to 5/8. Kockett is a huge pest at the back of the scrum, he's going to get penalised there a lot.

Reds really need that bye. Braid, Lucas, Cooper, Humphries, Horwill, Holmes all injured and all perhaps able to return in 2 weeks. A few others seem to have some niggling injuries. Really hope Lucas can make it back in time. Expect Horwill should come off the bench in 2 weeks?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Ash said:
Bloody Foxtel satellite cut over a few times during the game.

Yeah, expect Genia to be suspended for a few weeks, especially as he avoided a yellow card in game which was very lucky for the Reds.

Was very impressed with Daley, and Kennedy when he came on. Kennedy looks like a solid lump of a kid.

Braid has been very good for the Reds over the last few weeks. Think he was a great buy. Good to see 3M really going well, and Higgenbotham too. Wasn't very impressed with Ezra Taylor, though. But he's still coming back from injury. Good to see the Reds getting some depth at lock and 6 - about time they developed some depth in the forwards.

Sharks were a little disappointing though. Once Pienaar was off, it was all over for them once Steyn moved to 5/8. Kockett is a huge pest at the back of the scrum, he's going to get penalised there a lot.

Reds really need that bye. Braid, Lucas, Cooper, Humphries, Horwill, Holmes all injured and all perhaps able to return in 2 weeks. A few others seem to have some niggling injuries. Really hope Lucas can make it back in time. Expect Horwill should come off the bench in 2 weeks?
If the Reds keep men on deck, they will be a serious thorn in many sides. The pack will get stronger, and the backs are showing some real initiative, as well as steel in defence. Great stuff.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sully said:
higgenbotham would have to be up there with Elsom at the moment!

Not right at this moment. He has to produce as many times as Rocky has to be judged his equal. The potential certainly is there.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Biffo said:
Sully said:
higgenbotham would have to be up there with Elsom at the moment!

Not right at this moment. He has to produce as many times as Rocky has to be judged his equal. The potential certainly is there.

Have the Tahs missed Elsom ?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Sharks season could go backwards at a rate of knots.

Pienaar out for three weeks and Steyn will be moved to 10. He really sucks are a first five.

Sharks looked complacent and when the Reds came at them they just weren't up for it.

Smit at 3 is starting to look seriously suspect.

There is no better six than Higginb playing in Aus at the moment and I would include Mumm (of whom I am a huge fan) in that equation.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Blue - I think the Sharks will struggle in their final(?) game on the road, but once they get back to SA they will step it up a notch. I really hope they have another 5/8 though and keep Steyn at 12 for their sake.

Yeah, the Sharks scrum did nothing at with Smit at 3, but was stable - not that the Reds props are rated though. Thought it got a little better when Smit moved to hooker and they got one good wheel on the Reds, and another where the Sharks were unlucky that the ball came back through the same channel.

Would like to see Kankow do some more work. I like the backrow of Botes and Daniel though, who do enough work to cover for the showboat Kankow.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Ash said:
Blue - I think the Sharks will struggle in their final(?) game on the road, but once they get back to SA they will step it up a notch. I really hope they have another 5/8 though and keep Steyn at 12 for their sake.

Yeah, the Sharks scrum did nothing at with Smit at 3, but was stable - not that the Reds props are rated though. Thought it got a little better when Smit moved to hooker and they got one good wheel on the Reds, and another where the Sharks were unlucky that the ball came back through the same channel.

Would like to see Kankow do some more work. I like the backrow of Botes and Daniel though, who do enough work to cover for the showboat Kankow.

Yeah I'm not close enough to the Sharks setup to know who is backup at 10 but looking at the squad I think it is Steyn. He has been shwon up so often it's amazing that coached still think he can play 10.

That game is an example for people who want to pick Kankowski ahead of Spies for the boks. When Kankowski is on he's on. But it happens avery thirs game or so. The rest of the time he is a liability. When the Sharks started losign the breakdown battle he still hung arounf in the backline. The Sharks have missed Deysel though.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Blue said:
There is no better six than Higginb playing in Aus at the moment and I would include Mumm (of whom I am a huge fan) in that equation.

Mumm's first game at 6 was against the Brumbies. Brilliant to have 3 genuine alternatives at 6 though (Mumm, Higginb and MMM). Elsom might have to play a season of S14 to earn a shot at playing for the Wallabies again (which is as it should be).

S

Spook

Cutter said:
Blue said:

Mumm's first game at 6 was against the Brumbies. Brilliant to have 3 genuine alternatives at 6 though (Mumm, Higginb and MMM). Elsom might have to play a season of S14 to earn a shot at playing for the Wallabies again (which is as it should be).

By seasons end, Kimlin will be the forth genuine alternative (hopefully).

Status
Not open for further replies.