• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Spook said:
Cutter said:
Blue said:
There is no better six than Higginb playing in Aus at the moment and I would include Mumm (of whom I am a huge fan) in that equation.

Mumm's first game at 6 was against the Brumbies. Brilliant to have 3 genuine alternatives at 6 though (Mumm, Higginb and MMM). Elsom might have to play a season of S14 to earn a shot at playing for the Wallabies again (which is as it should be).

By seasons end, Kimlin will be the forth genuine alternative (hopefully).

Best thing for Kimlin's future is for him to reconvert to the second row. Same goes for Mumm.

T

TOCC

it would be exciting if the Reds do sign Elsom..

4. Horwill
5. McMenimen
6. Higginbotham
7. Braid
8. Elsom

problem is there are to many blindside flankers, i dont like McMenimen playing lock, but then again Higginbotham is playing so well there is no way you could drop him.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
It seems every half- or half plus- decent lock wants to be a blindside flanker and that many supporters go along with that ambition. While we are spending so much effort on this, think about the strength of our locks, where we are not over-burdened with talent and additions would be most welcome.

Rocky and Higginbum are genuine blindside flankers. McMinimum, Kimlin and Mumm are not and should set themselves for the second row and learn their trades there. Australia's strength at 6 should be built by NSW and Qld finding their backs-up to Rocky and Higginbum and the Brumbies and Force developing two each.

What I can not understand in this long-running debate is that noone has suggested moving Nathan Sharpe to 6. I am doing that now. It is surely not too late, even at his age, for his successeful conversion to the back row.

F

formeropenside

Biffo said:
It seems every half- or half plus- decent lock wants to be a blindside flanker and that many supporters go along with that ambition. While we are spending so much effort on this, think about the strength of our locks, where we are not over-burdened with talent and additions would be most welcome.

Rocky and Higginbum are genuine blindside flankers. McMinimum, Kimlin and Mumm are not and should set themselves for the second row and learn their trades there. Australia's strength at 6 should be built by NSW and Qld finding their backs-up to Rocky and Higginbum and the Brumbies and Force developing two each.

What I can not understand in this long-running debate is that noone has suggested moving Nathan Sharpe to 6. I am doing that now. It is surely not too late, even at his age, for his successeful conversion to the back row.

Just because Sharpe seagulls and shirks the tight work does mean he has the mobility to be a backrower. Besides, his best talent when carrying the ball is falling over in a big soft heap.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
formeropenside said:
Biffo said:

Just because Sharpe seagulls and shirks the tight work does mean he has the mobility to be a backrower. Besides, his best talent when carrying the ball is falling over in a big soft heap.

I forgot the :fishing

F

formeropenside

Biffo said:
formeropenside said:
Biffo said:

I forgot the :fishing

DOH!

I always thought he was angling for the 13 jersey, myself.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
formeropenside said:

Sharpe was just excellent in November in doing the tight work

F

formeropenside

fatprop said:
formeropenside said:

Sharpe was just excellent in November in doing the tight work

one swallow does not a summer make

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Biff,

I agree that Kimlin and Mumm should concentrate on lock, but I think MMM is more effective, and will always be more effective as a 6.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
6 is such a weird position. One of the most effective 6s of recent years is Jerry Collins who is the polar opposite of MMM in body shape and playing style.

The back 3 is all about balance.

T

TOCC

Scarfman said:
6 is such a weird position. One of the most effective 6s of recent years is Jerry Collins who is the polar opposite of MMM in body shape and playing style.

The back 3 is all about balance.

thats right, and another key ingredient is the playing style of the team and the strenght of the tight 5, then you have to factor in the opposition back row as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.