• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Stormers - Super Rugby Round 9, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

JP du Plessis will slot in 13 and JdJ probably in 12.

How does a bloke, who couldn't a run or a contract for the Rebels make the starting side of the Stormer 12 months later? It's just makes no sense why he was so average out here.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Nah we are in trouble.
Sport24
Aplon in starting XV

2012-04-17 14:18
Email | Print

fb8f15553510403e95eb6b8a476ba41a.jpg

Gio Aplon (Gallo)
Cape Town - Stormers coach Allister Coetzee on Tuesday named his team to take on the Reds on Friday night at the Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane, in the teams’ third tour match.

There are 2 positional changes in the backline with Bryan Habana wearing the 13 jersey, partnering Juan De Jongh who moves inside in jersey 12. In addition, Gio Aplon returns from injury at 11.

There is only 1 change to the pack with De Kock Steenkamp partnering Eben Etzebeth at lock, in for the injured Andries Bekker.

In the only change to the bench, Koster returns from injury in jersey 18.

Jean De Villiers is on his way back to Cape Town after sustaining an injury to his left wrist against the Crusaders. De Villiers will not be available for the next two weeks and will undergo further assessment in Cape Town as to the prognosis and rehabilitation period.

Andries Bekker remains with the Stormers squad, whilst DHL WP wing, Danie Poolman, has been called up to join the squad in Australia.

“Injuries are part of Super Rugby and it’s the teams that are best able to cope with them, that will do well in this competition.” said coach Allister Coetzee. “Losing Jean is a setback but we have a lot of leadership options and I am confident in the depth we have available and as to the temperament and ability of this squad.”

Teams:

Reds:
TBA

Stormers:
15 Joe Pietersen, 14 Gerhard van den Heever, 13 Bryan Habana, 12 Juan de Jongh, 11 Gio Aplon, 10 Peter Grant (vice-captain), 9 Dewaldt Duvenage, 8 Duane Vermeulen (captain), 7 Rynhardt Elstadt, 6 Siya Kolisi, 5 De Kock Steenkamp, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Brok Harris, 2 Tiaan Liebenberg, 1 Steven Kitshoff

Substitutes: 16 Deon Fourie, 17 Frans Malherbe, 18 Nick Koster, 19 Nizaam Carr, 20 Louis Schreuder, 21 Burton Francis, 22 JP du Plessis

T

tranquility

I just googled the lock who comes in for Bekker and he is only 108 kgs. That has to be the smallest lock in Africa.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I just googled the lock who comes in for Bekker and he is only 108 kgs. That has to be the smallest lock in Africa.
I am just joking regarding JP du Plessis. The laaitie is only 20 and in SA terms still have a bit to go through our structures to be a good S15 level player. WP lost Sadie (Brutes), Whitehead (Sharks) and has always been the midfield factory in SA rugby. For the record he asked to be released from his Rebels contract and want to go home. He sure is talented, I have no doubt he'll be a great midfielder.

Regarding your problem in weight with Steenkamp, have him a tad heavier on the Stormers site.

De Kock Steenkamp

Position: Lock
Physical: 1.97m, 113kg
Born: 16 February 1987, Williston
Province: WP
WP Caps: 38
WP Points: 5(1t)
WP Debut: 2009 v The Sharks
Stormers Caps: 18
Stormers Points: 0
Stormers Debut: 2010 v Lions
Born and bred in Williston in the Northern Cape, De Kock Steenkamp was schooled at Paarl Boys High School in the Western Cape .He went on to play for the senior Province side in 2009, where his impressive form saw him make his first Super Rugby match in 2010. De Kock will be looking make an impact as a part of a formidable lock contingent.

He has been good in the lineouts. he is the earial type and will test the Reds lineouts.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
By the way he is a Karoo farm boy and the brother of the Brute lock Wilhelm Steenkamp. In the Karoo they grow up as tough as fuck if you understand what I mean.

T

tranquility

Likewise, I was just 'taking the puss' as Robbie would say if he ever does have a giggle.
I am sure this bloke will be rough and tumble and play out of his skin, I just wish we had blokes in the tight 5 who could just come out of the woodwork and have a blinder.
Although I am feeling much better about this game now that Bekker is out, that is a massive loss.
If we can't beat you blokes at home with your three best and most influential players out we may as well pack up shop and start preparing for the Rugby championship and life under Richard Graham.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Likewise, I was just 'taking the puss' as Robbie would say if he ever does have a giggle.
I am sure this bloke will be rough and tumble and play out of his skin, I just wish we had blokes in the tight 5 who could just come out of the woodwork and have a blinder.
Although I am feeling much better about this game now that Bekker is out, that is a massive loss.
If we can't beat you blokes at home with your three best and most influential players out we may as well pack up shop and start preparing for the Rugby championship and life under Richard Graham.
Bekker maybe good in the lineouts but he have a backline intendency. Steenkamps will do the dirty lock work and give Etsebeth the ball carrying duties. Still a big pack from the Stormers and I like the captain for this match. He may fire up the whole bunch if he leads from the front. I also think our attack maybe be better with Habana in 13 and Aplon back. maybe give away on defense but I am sure the Reds will kick a lot in this game. It may cost them.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Was leaning toward the Stormers but not after the Saders game. Reds by 5 or more.
Because the Stormers lost to the Crusaders, they shouldn't be underestimated.
I watched the Crusader's game against the Bulls in Jo'berg, & though they lost, they also found their mojo in the last ten minutes of that game to be more like a finalist team. Consequently I backed them to beat the Stormers last week.
Similiarly, for the reds to beat the Stormers, it's going to be necessary for them to find their mojo as well, like they did for the first 25 minutes against the Sharks, when they completely outplayed them.
If they do, you'll see the gun smoke lingering around the ground after the killing i.e its up to the Reds

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Losing de Villiers and Bekker in one go is a huge blow for the Stormers. Losing the leaders of your backs and your forwards (after already losing your skipper previously) is a huge disruption to any team. de Villiers had been really playing good rugby this year and his physical presence in the midfield will be missed. Juan de Jongh is a big talent but he has been most effective previously playing in a midfield that included the physical presence of either de Villiers or Jaque Fourie. This will be a big test for him. I am not convinced that Habana is a solid option at 13 either. Furthermore, Gerhard van den Heever is shaky on defence and the Stormers really missed Aplon last week. I'm not sure that the "Great Wall of Blue" will be as effective with all these changes.

A

AlexH

Losing de Villiers and Bekker in one go is a huge blow for the Stormers. Losing the leaders of your backs and your forwards (after already losing your skipper previously) is a huge disruption to any team. de Villiers had been really playing good rugby this year and his physical presence in the midfield will be missed. Juan de Jongh is a big talent but he has been most effective previously playing in a midfield that included the physical presence of either de Villiers or Jaque Fourie. This will be a big test for him. I am not convinced that Habana is a solid option at 13 either. Furthermore, Gerhard van den Heever is shaky on defence and the Stormers really missed Aplon last week. I'm not sure that the "Great Wall of Blue" will be as effective with all these changes.

Do not expect any sympathy from a Reds fan on the injury front.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Do not expect any sympathy from a Reds fan on the injury front.

I'm not asking for any sympathy, don't you worry. I understand that injuries are part and parcel of Super Rugby (particularly in it's extended form). I was merely stating that I don't think the Stormers will be as effective after losing the three most senior members of their squad. I would however be extremely disappointed if they lost by 50+ points...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
In last weeks Stormers game there was just over two one kick a minute, I wonder if the Reds will use the same approach.

The Stormers also have Aplon back which makes their kick return threat so much more dangerous.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Will you be venturing to the game Bb? (Assuming your title implies a local component to these proceedings).

It sounds odd to recall it, but QC (Quade Cooper) was key to both our last 2 victories over the Stormers (or, more accurately, his combo with WG and vice versa was). He'll be missed on Friday.

Our Reds have plenty of vulnerabilities afoot, I wonder how or if at all they'll be affected by the news that they'll be coached by one of Australia's most proven-as-ineffective coaches in 2013.

A

AlexH

I'm not asking for any sympathy, don't you worry. I understand that injuries are part and parcel of Super Rugby (particularly in it's extended form). I was merely stating that I don't think the Stormers will be as effective after losing the three most senior members of their squad. I would however be extremely disappointed if they lost by 50+ points...

You probably would be extremely disappointed on the weekend if the roles were reversed in the way of injuries. Injuries or not, it was disappointing to see the Reds lose to the Bulls by over fifty points but having a premiership to our name eases the pain. Remind me, when was the last time the Stormers won a premiership?

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Will you be venturing to the game Bb? (Assuming your title implies a local component to these proceedings).

It sounds odd to recall it, but QC (Quade Cooper) was key to both our last 2 victories over the Stormers (or, more accurately, his combo with WG and vice versa was). He'll be missed on Friday.

Our Reds have plenty of vulnerabilities afoot, I wonder how or if at all they'll be affected by the news that they'll be coached by one of Australia's most proven-as-ineffective coaches in 2013.

Yes, I'll be at the game RH. Somewhat reluctantly though - Suncorp Stadium is a massive bogey ground for South African teams! In the 10 or so years I've been going there, I don't think I have ever seen a South African win!

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
You probably would be extremely disappointed on the weekend if the roles were reversed in the way of injuries. Injuries or not, it was disappointing to see the Reds lose to the Bulls by over fifty points but having a premiership to our name eases the pain. Remind me, when was the last time the Stormers won a premiership?
Don't bait BB, he won't stop for days......

When is the team announced by the way? Haven't heard much in the media about who will be lining up, I will assume it will look alot different to the side that played against the Brumbies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Don't bait BB, he won't stop for days......

When is the team announced by the way? Haven't heard much in the media about who will be lining up, I will assume it will look alot different to the side that played against the Brumbies.

Harris in The Aus was certain Lane will be in the 22, FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.