• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Stormers - Super Rugby Round 9, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

tl12, understand, but I reckon Link would have altered some plans after seeing the Stormers' final team, and confirmed injuries there, etc. It's a challenging situation, as Harris and Lucas and Toua are game-light, Lane is raw, huge to throw him up against a team far superior/bigger/harder than the Brumbies, Morahan a roulette wheel of what you might get from him, etc, etc. Lots of complex trade-offs, yes?

Precisely why it is so damn frustrating.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Really looking forward mate! Love the way Stormers 2012 are really breaking through with an excellent running attack not always there before when you had great kickers and the famous Great Wall of Defence, but other bits were lacking. Now the whole dinner is being served in one sitting, and it's very impressive.

Not big confidence as Reds are playing well below 2011 (so far) and injuries to 3 10s especially QC (Quade Cooper) have made that much worse. But now Stormers injuries are balancing the card up, aren't they?

Suncorp w-l % record for Reds gives me confidence; as Bb said today, SA hardly ever leaves there happy! But I love this match up, I think it will be very close for all of 80 and 44 near dead players at 81. Reds by 2.
Stormers have a much better record against the Reds compare to Saders and surely they'll try and make it third time lucky

History:
Sat, 09 Apr 2011 Reds v Stormers 19-06 Cape Town
Fri, 23 Apr 2010 Reds v Stormers 16-13 Brisbane
Fri, 20 Feb 2009 Reds v Stormers 24-27 Cape Town
Sat, 08 Mar 2008 Reds v Stormers 16-34 Brisbane
Sat, 28 Apr 2007 Reds v Stormers 24-37 Cape Town
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 Reds v Stormers 20-24 Brisbane
Sat, 09 Apr 2005 Reds v Stormers 13-15 Cape Town
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 Reds v Stormers 20-21 Brisbane
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 Reds v Stormers 41-20 Cape Town
Sat, 06 Apr 2002 Reds v Stormers 49-46 Brisbane
Sat, 07 Apr 2001 Reds v Stormers 27-29 George
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 Reds v Stormers 37-24 Brisbane
Sat, 03 Apr 1999 Reds v Stormers 14-35 Cape Town
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 Reds v Stormers 19-14 Brisbane

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
One thing that I do know PB: what with all your multiple 'hot and cold' statements about the Reds this year, you are totally fascinated by them. We receive the compliment in the way we know it's intended.
they are the most successful team of the Super 15 era in terms of titles, so why not follow them?

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Lets see the Reds nail this one for Michael 'Noddy' Lynagh, one of the greatest Reds fly-halves ever, who is presently in Royal Brisbane Hospital with a stroke, at 48.
Get well soon, Noddy

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Am I reading you right RH?63 Hammy injuries at the Reds, that is an alarming stat. What period is that over?

W

What2040

if lane is at 10, harris 12, then lucas 15? or do you think link will bench lucas?
recokon Morahan at 15 and Link will use Lucas at sometime either 10 or 15 whichever is needed the most - IMO at 15

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
No problem broer, I have been with the Reds when they were down and out in 2010, on their lowest of lowest times. A lot have happened since then. Feeling confidense for friday Boet? I know you looking forward to this one.

So it the Reds win can we see Rusty between that Bok and Paarl?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Am I reading you right RH?63 Hammy injuries at the Reds, that is an alarming stat. What period is that over?

Just a joke based upon sheer exaggeration, but a worried one given the KPI of 'hamstrings gone per week' this season that the Reds have incurred. One does start to get concerned that perhaps our S&C practices might need examining given this level of hammies gone - I gather there are conflicting schools of thought regarding whether proactive training methods can or cannot lower hamstring risk.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Geez I hate to say it but maybe Toua just isn't going to be a rugby player, at least at the Reds. I know he's a great talent but a bloke who gets injured this often is a liability both on the field and on the books for the team. For his sake I really hope things turn around though.

In regards to this weekends game, i'm growing more and more confident in the Reds each day. Looking at the forwards for each team and watching replays, i'd say the Reds have an edge when it comes to set piece, both lineouts and scrums. This is going to be so important because the backs getting a decent platform and over the advantage line at first contact is going to be crucial. Letting the Stormers get their defence set and being able to use their aggression at ruck time is a key part of their game so keeping them on the backfoot is essential and I think thats where the Reds backs have lacked a bit this year. They haven't had someone (such as A Fainga'a) slamming into the line and getting the forward momentum going. I'm hoping if Taps gets shifted out to 13 he can be very direct in attack.

Can't wait for the game and hopefully its a beautiful sunny day like today!

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Reds team:

Daley
Hanson
Slipper
Simmons
Horwill
Higgers
Robinson
Samo
Genia