• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Stormers - Super Rugby Round 9, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
No AWH? Shame really. I am quite keen to see how Lane gets on against the Stormers this week. Being part of the WP regional setup, I think it is a good idea that Link is playing him. I am still concerned about Daley starting, and Samo and Simmons had really better get stuck in this weekend.

Tactical kicking and squeezing the life out of the Stormers will win it for us. Aimless box kicking and midfield bombs won't. From some of the averages I saw, the Stormers (specifically Grant here) kick about 10m further than the Reds do. So when we kick, we need to be sure about it.

I was going to have a look at the tackle completion rates of the Stormers new centre pairing this week, but I never got a chance. I have noted that Grant has missed 21 tackles so far this season, but I have no idea how many he has attempted. I suspect that the non-committal to the breakdown is sheltering a few defensive frailties that could be exploited if The Stormers forwards were forced to commit to the ruck, but I can't yet prove it.

Anyway, lets see how it pans out.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Stormers team announced
go_stormers.jpg
Now a Stormers fan, fuck you QLD

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Anyone else think Gill is playing well enough to be starting at 7 no matter what side we are playing? Nothing against Robinson, but Liam is a talent and a future (near) Wallaby, yet he doesn't start every week when he clearly is good enough. I'd be just a wee bit pissed off if I was him.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Anyone else think Gill is playing well enough to be starting at 7 no matter what side we are playing? Nothing against Robinson, but Liam is a talent and a future (near) Wallaby, yet he doesn't start every week when he clearly is good enough. I'd be just a wee bit pissed off if I was him.

Robinson and Gill have seemed pretty well matched skill wise this season so its a pretty tough one to call. For me though Robinson adds a little more tenacity and mongrel, he seems like he'd be a real prick to the opposition on the field and I just don't see that from Gill. I also think that after the great season Robinson had last year, the number 7 jersey was his coming into 2012 and he really hasn't done anything to deserve it to be taken away.

Gill is still very young and like you said Tigerland, probably a future Wallaby but he's not there yet. I wouldn't be too pissed off if I were him. Its not like he's playing club rugby or anything. His time will come.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Robinson and Gill have seemed pretty well matched skill wise this season so its a pretty tough one to call. For me though Robinson adds a little more tenacity and mongrel, he seems like he'd be a real prick to the opposition on the field and I just don't see that from Gill. I also think that after the great season Robinson had last year, the number 7 jersey was his coming into 2012 and he really hasn't done anything to deserve it to be taken away.

Gill is still very young and like you said Tigerland, probably a future Wallaby but he's not there yet. I wouldn't be too pissed off if I were him. Its not like he's playing club rugby or anything. His time will come.

This.

Gill also needs more time to let his body grow into his profession. He is still only a small lad, and does not yet have the physical presence that is required.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Agree on Gill: it will do him no harm to be eased into Super Rugby either physically or from a footie point of view.

Pocock was rushed in, but he is related to Superman and one of those schoolboy forwards you had no doubt about playing professionally ASAP. TPN would have been another, though he had to wait to learn his new position.

Those cases are rare, and I thought that Hooper was fortunate not to be injured starting in pro rugby the year after school when he had a shoulder reconstruction during his last school year.

Gill should be made to wait - but not too long.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Hooper has been thrown in young, and he's florished. Liam is atleast of equal quality to him. If he's going to cut it, and if he is as good as we all say he is, then make him start.

Was Pocock eased into Super Rugby?

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Hooper is two years older than Gill.

And see above for Lee's statement on Pocock, physically he is a freak and was ready to go when he was 17, Gill isn't built the same way.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Paarl: just for you bro:

ABC April 19, 2012

A boom Stormers prospect just last year, rookie playmaker Sam Lane can turn tormentor on Friday night when he pulls the strings for the Queensland Reds in their clash in Brisbane.
Reds coach Ewen McKenzie surprised even Lane himself by retaining the 21-year-old at five-eighth on Thursday despite the return of fellow pivots Mike Harris and Ben Lucas from hamstring injuries.
McKenzie rewarded the left-footer for his impressive debut in the last-start 20-13 win over the Brumbies, reinstating radar-boot Harris at inside centre and putting Lucas on the bench.
It means Lane's opponents, many of whom he played with at Western Province in South Africa's Currie Cup competition, will know his game better than Reds players.
In spite of being the Stormers potential number 10 in 2012, Brisbane-born Lane decided last year to return home from Cape Town and is shaking his head at the thought of lining up against many of his old friends in his second Super Rugby match.
He spent Wednesday looking around the Queensland capital with former housemate Siya Kolisi, and will not mind leading the Stormers flanker on a merry dance with his playmaking at Lang Park
"I'm still new to Brisbane so we just walked around getting lost and catching up," said Lane, who also went to school with reserve back-rower Nizaam Carr.
"I know them all pretty well but it's not going to make a difference tomorrow night. We've got a job to do and we're looking forward to that."
The Reds have also tapped into some of Lane's inside knowledge in their planning for what is a key clash against the South African conference leaders almost midway through the season.
"He produced under difficult circumstances and on short notice in our last match so we're excited to see what he can produce against his former province," McKenzie said.
The Stormers have proven themselves to be the best defensive team in the competition but the Reds are fortunate to meet them after a costly 31-24 defeat to the Crusaders in Christchurch.
The visitors must cope without injured Springboks duo and team leaders Jean de Villiers (wrist) and Andries Bekker (lower back) which significantly diminishes their three-quarter line and lineout.
Bracing for the challenge up front, McKenzie has returned Wallabies number eight Radike Samo into the same beefed-up back-row which upset the Stormers 19-6 in Cape Town last year.
"The Stormers like to physically impose themselves on matches so we're matching fire with fire with our selection," the coach said.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thanks RH, Schalk Burger have this nasty habit to take his All Blacks/Wallabies pelle to his family vineyard close top matches to make sure they end up with a head ache when the match starts. So Lane only mix with the souties, he could have shown the Paarl Boyshigher, Frans malherbe, Brisbane biggest steakhouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom