• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Stormers - Super Rugby Round 9, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Queensland Side

1. Ben Daley (GC)
  2. James Hanson (UNI)
  3. James Slipper (GC)
  4. Rob Simmons (SUN)
  5. James Horwill (UNI)
  6. Scott Higginbotham (WESTS)
  7. Beau Robinson (SOUTHS)
  8. Radike Samo (GPS)
  9. Will Genia (SC)
  10. Sam Lane
  11. Rod Davies (UNI)
  12. Mike Harris (UNI)
  13. Ben Tapuai (SUN)
  14. Dom Shipperely (BRO)
  15. Luke Morahan (UNI)
Bench: Albert Anae (SUN), Greg Holmes (SUN), Van Humphries (SOUTHS), Jake Shatz (SUN), Liam Gill (SUN), Ben Lucas (SUN), Nick Frisby (GPS)

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Flash beat me too it.

No real suprises here. Samo needs a big one, as does Simmons and Daley.

Don't you think Samo 2012 is playing well under the Samo 2011 model? I don't know, a la last game, with the massive and massively competent Stormers' forwards who will look to belt us relentlessly, I'd have liked Gill and Beau starting, and Schatz on minute 1 as well. Yes, his age is a factor, but I actually think that, all facets of play considered, Van has played better than Simmons this year. And for me Van always seems to really come to life vs the hardest opposition forwards. In summary, this starting forward pack looks more what I'd pick vs the Blues say than the Stormers, and IMO Morahan at 15 is danger man in the bad sense to be dealing with Grant's/Stormers' quality kicking game that will surely come at him from all angles, and maybe all game. + Do we ever miss Diggers for games like this!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stormers team announced
go_stormers.jpg

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Team looks pretty good to me, pretty much what I expected. For me the biggest missing piece is Diggers, as RH mentioned earlier we do miss him, especially in these games as we don't really have a 'hole puncher' in the backline. The backline looks like it will get the job done, not put a massive score on. The boot of Harris should be the difference and I think it will be tight, Reds by no more than 6 I reckon. The backs won't be breaking the line much but I don't think they'll leak too many points either. I like Lucas on the bench, he can come on and cover for Lane if he turns out to be a bust this game (I highly doubt it) or Morahan if his severe lack of general playing ability this season comes to the forefront.

I can see the logic in using this backrow. Stormers are a big pack and I guess Link is hoping that Radike will do some bashing up early in the game and then throw on the 2nd fetcher when everyone is puffing. I've got a feeling Radike will get up for this one, with all the fundraising etc going on for his village in Fiji I think he will wind back the clock and put on a clinic for all the critics. Even if he just puts in that X-factor for the first half it should hopefully be enough.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Reds seem to be well covered for halfbacks. Is Frisby the best of the rest standing when it comes to backs?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I am really looking forward to seeing how Lane handles this game. What an excitement for him, vs his old 'region'. Then there's just: vs the powerhouse Stormers, 4 weeks ago he was playing for Manly. The Brumbies were Maccas, this has Michelin stars. His mental capability under this type of situation as important as the physical. He does well: he'll be offered to be QC (Quade Cooper)'s no 2 I'd think somewhere in the squad, Harris is not a 10 of the type the Reds need.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
It all makes sense now . The SA judiciary extended the suspension for Ioane to this game so as he wouldnt play the Stormers, but let him do his magic against the Kiwi sides following
Always thought its a Sanzar committee, maybe helpfull to get your Justice4 batches out.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Myself feel a bit more confident now after the Reds team announcement. The Stormers backline should attack more in this game. Expect Lane/Harris to kick a lot and if we can put a few heavy ball carriers like Etsebet/Elstadt/Liebenberg/Vermeulen/Kolisi in the middle and spread it wide to the JoeP/Aplon/vd Heever/Habana we may surprise the Reds. They expect the Stormers to only play defensive and attacking just maybe the right medicine for this match specially if we can do it in the first half when the Reds will be a bit rusted from their bye.

W

What2040

Reds need to really be on top in the forwards and then give them some more and then more again. Earn the right to throw it out wide but you have to give the backs some space to take advantage

Status
Not open for further replies.