• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Waratahs, rd2 SR2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
My god you're a muppet. :)
Play the ball, not the man. He makes a valid point considering that every first Waratahs game since 2010 has been the Reds (apart from 2011 when the Rebels came in - even then the Reds were our first home game.)

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
After last nights poor performance, this is the team I want to see play against the Tahs.

1- Holmes
2- Hanson
3- Slipper
4- O'Donoghue
5- Horwill
6- Quirk
7- Gill
8- Samo
9- Lucas
10- Cooper
11- Ioane
12- Tapuai
13- Fainga'a
14- F'Sautia
15- Harris

Bench: Fainga'a, Anae, Wallace-Harrison, Shatz, Frisby, Toua/Lance, Shipperely

I thought the tight five, apart from Slipper, was pathetic against the Brumbies. Simmons & Fainga'a in particular were horrible. Shatz & Wallace-Harrison went missing for most of the game as well.

Gill was our best player I thought, whilst Quirk was in almost everything, he did well given how much the pack was being belted.

So Hanson should come in for Fainga'a, which is a no brainer. Hopefully Horwill is fit and he comes back in. I don't know if the rules allow it, but I'd have O'Donoghue starting ahead of both Simmons & Wallace-Harrison. He added some real grunt when he came on, but given the whole player rulings I suspect he won't be allowed to be selected ahead of them because he is from outside the squad.

In the backs, I thought Lucas looked solid given he was on the back foot, not to mention that Frisby is a mess at clearing the ball, he always looks confused to where the ball should be going. I thought it was a mistake to take Lucas off as early as Link did.

Cooper, Ioane & Tapuai were all impressive so no changes there obviously. Toua did nothing wrong, he was rushed everytime he got the pill, but with Fainga'a probably fit, it is another no brainer to bring him back.

Shipperely did nothing wrong, because he pretty much did nothing, whilst F'Sautia looked strong when he came on. If Fainga'a is not fit, I'd bring in F'Sautia to 13 & keep Shipperely out on the wing.

The game plan also confused me, even as Slipper mentioned it briefly pre-match I thought "oh shit this won't work". Trying to out muscle the Brumbies was never going to work. The only thing that did work was the rush defence at 13. Tapuai & Toua did well to shut them down out-wide.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
It's not a valid point at all. Reds played the Force 1st up in 2011 & the Brumbies this year that's 2 out of four that the opening game of the season hasn't been Waratah v Reds in the current Super Rugby.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I don't think O'Donoghue added much at all Tigerland and he gave away a ridiculous penalty from an attacking ruck. I'd keep Wallace-Harrison to partner Horwill. I think Frisby came on earlier because of the nasty head gash Lucas got late in the 1st half from a head clash. Quirk did impress with his workrate.

T

TOCC

Yep, i witnessed nothing which indicated Ed O'Donoghue should start, If Horwill is back then Simmons will partner Horwill and AWH will be on the bench, Simmons runs the line-out.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Yep, i witnessed nothing which indicated Ed O'Donoghue should start, If Horwill is back then Simmons will partner Horwill and AWH will be on the bench, Simmons runs the line-out.
Okay well maybe I was seeing something completely different with O'Donoghue. But Simmons was very average, and I wouldn't use the 'line-out general' excuse to keep him starting, because the line-out was horrible.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Simmons has been pretty disappointing last season & yesterday didn't look like he'd turned that around. Looks like he's bulked up a fair bit in the off season, I hope he can deliver soon on some early promise in his carreer. AWH has been great in the past little while & can be excused for not standing out in one game. Big Ed shouldn't be considered as anything more than a stop gap measure at this stage.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Can't wait for this one, hopefully new coach, new attitude. I know the likes of Biggsy says it will be the same as last year, but that Queensland arrogance is why we love this game so much, and what makes it so sweet when we win.

I agree with Tigerland that Hanson should definitely start for the Reds, also agree that Simmons didn't add much, but I bet they keep him in there.

Teams will be very interesting, revolving very much around whose fit. Here in Tah-land, I don't think we have the official word on Barnes, Foley or Mitchell yet, all of which makes a big difference. And for the Reds, does anyone know whether Samo and Horwill are fit?

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
Simmons was a waste of space last night. Reds' set piece was horrible and he was partly to blame, not to mention the sloppy play and niggle that he decided was necessary at every ruck.

I'd play AWH starting with Horwill if fit. Hanson over Faainga.

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
Geez Tigerland I hope you are right with your team selection.
The Tah's will have a field day against that one....

Not sure if all these guys are fit, but this would be my starting XV

1.Robbo
2.TPN
3.Kepu
4.Douglas
5.Timani
6.Dennis
7.Hooper
8.Palu
9.McKibbon
10.Foley
11.Mitchell
12.Barnes
13.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14.Kingston
15.Izzy

The issue I saw last year wth the Tah's wasn't a skill problem, more confidence one. They didn't believe in themselves.

New coach, new season, new attitude......

They will be hard to stop.

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
Folau might be awesome but then again he could be Tahu mark 2..or rogers.or tuquiri..or sailor.or blacklock. None of them are greats.

Tuquri not great? I disagree with that. He played almost 90 games for the Tah's and is the leading Waratahs try scorer.
The kids absolutley loved him and if you look at the Wratahs home ground attendance during the period Lote was playing it was a sellout almst every week. I believe Lote had a lot to do with that. Same as when Izzy signed for the Tah's, membership jumped up by 2,000 in the following 2 weeks.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
Geez Tigerland I hope you are right with your team selection.
The Tah's will have a field day against that one..

Not sure if all these guys are fit, but this would be my starting XV

1.Robbo
2.TPN
3.Kepu
4.Douglas
5.Timani
6.Dennis
7.Hooper
8.Palu
9.McKibbon
10.Foley
11.Mitchell
12.Barnes
13.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14.Kingston
15.Izzy

The issue I saw last year wth the Tah's wasn't a skill problem, more confidence one. They didn't believe in themselves.

New coach, new season, new attitude..

They will be hard to stop.

That's a pretty solid Wallaby pack there. Throw in having guys like Ryan, Chapman, Turner etc on the bench and it's a good side on paper.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
O'Donoghue adss weight and grunt to the pack, he isn't a stand out liek horwill but he gets thigns done with out worrying about th eniggly shit unliek simmons who seems to be getting wrapped up more and more with trying to look tough than just belting someone in a tackle or ruck.

He did make a pretty bad mistake but i have seen stuff like that been let go before so i am not really worried but i think that if horwill is out Ed needs to definitely start as we need to add some weight and grunt to the pack if we are going to go toe to toe with big boppers like Kepu, Douglas and palu. Ed might not be another james horwill but he isn't going to give an inch in the tight rough and tumble.....which is what we really nedded on saturday

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The loss of Horwill is worrying for two reasons. Firstly, if theyv have ruled him out this early in the week the injury sounds worse than they previously lead us to believe. I had understood he was touch-and-go last week and now they're already confident enough to rule him out...wtf?!

Secondly and perhaps more concerning, the Reds really lacked leadership on Saturday. I like Slipper, but he did a shit job a captain. I dont think I saw him chatting to his teammates once on the weekend. We needed a Genia or a Horwill. I not sure who I'd choose to captain on the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom