• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Waratahs, rd2 SR2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
COMBATIVE Michael Cheika is inciting his NSW Waratahs to start hating Queensland again and the more Suncorp Stadium turns snakepit on Saturday night, the better.

These QLD and NSW match up really bring out my Hatred Towards Waratahs Rugby. Cant wait for Saturday,
Not to mention your love of bold type and capital letters. Love a good Upper Case, Love It!!

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Hopefully Cheika can put some fire and "want to bleed for each other" in their bellies

Let me just preface this by saying that I am not trying to be antagonising. In case it comes across like that. Ok disclaimer done.

I've always thought that this is the area that QLD have the edge over NSW - both League and Union. It's very clichéd but the QLD pride that they speak of; the heart, the spirit etc. are very very real. I'm using some very sweeping generalisations here but I feel that it's something that QLDers tend to just "have". It's also something that NSW teams try to replicate.

It's certainly not something unique to QLD, God no. Plenty of other nations, provinces etc. have it. But when it comes to QLD v NSW battles I feel it plays a critical part. I honestly believe that it's something that the NSWmen sometimes just don't get. And this is often the difference.

EDIT: Lol! I just re-read my post and it does come across as a bunch of drunken nonsense but I am sober so I will probably get panned for this but I'm going to let my post run and see what happens. :D

Reactions: gel

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I knew that would be the first reply and I would've had you at short odds to be the one who made it. ;)

It's not about where you're born although you probably need a few QLD born and breds to breed the vibe, let's call it, amongst the group. It's something to do with the ethos of a QLD team. When I refer to a QLDer, I'm not talking about where you're born. It's an ethos that you identify with. Almost like a religion. It's not tangible, hell it may not even be real, but when you identify with it, it has the ability to give you something extra in return.

The funny thing about having QLD players in the Tahs outfit is this. They would have experienced what I'm talking about and they would know that the Tahs don't have it. That would worry them.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It would be a more reasonable premice if the Tahs didn't play like it against everyone. If Cheika can get their heads right - who knows

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Let me just preface this by saying that I am not trying to be antagonising. In case it comes across like that. Ok disclaimer done.

I've always thought that this is the area that QLD have the edge over NSW - both League and Union. It's very clichéd but the QLD pride that they speak of; the heart, the spirit etc. are very very real. I'm using some very sweeping generalisations here but I feel that it's something that QLDers tend to just "have". It's also something that NSW teams try to replicate.

It's certainly not something unique to QLD, God no. Plenty of other nations, provinces etc. have it. But when it comes to QLD v NSW battles I feel it plays a critical part. I honestly believe that it's something that the NSWmen sometimes just don't get. And this is often the difference.

EDIT: Lol! I just re-read my post and it does come across as a bunch of drunken nonsense but I am sober so I will probably get panned for this but I'm going to let my post run and see what happens. :D

As a neutral my only obervation is that the Red lot has been up against a totally rudderless Blue lot for many a year now. In both codes.

Makes it a little easier.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
bully many people

. A new halves pairing won't help the Tahs so hopefully Quirk can be a nuisance.

This will be the key to the match for the Reds I think. Quirk did that part of his game last week very well, Gill has to be right behind him.

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
I wouldn't say it is a new halves pairing. McKinnon and Foley played together last year and have been training together since November.
I don't think the experienced Tah's backrow of Dennis/Hooper/Paul will be too concerned with the Reds loosies. (No disrespect to the Reds backrow, but I think the Tahs have a huge edge)

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
If Foley is playing, papers are talking about your rookie starting, I don't recall his name.
Tah's edge the 6 & certainly have the better 8, unless Samo is fit? Sevens are about equal at this level imo. But I was more talking about our breakaways doing their job and harassing the hell out of the young halves.

Thommo

Frank Row (1)
I'm quietly nervous about this game. The Reds may sneak a win but I think the Tahs are too strong. Not mentally though. No sir.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)

One of the finest G&GR articles I have ever read.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not to mention your love of bold type and capital letters. Love a good Upper Case, Love It!!

Not really, I just copied and paste that section from a on line news paper article and that was the text it was in.
I would never go to the trouble or waist my time writing that much about the tahs.

Go Reds. I would really like that in bold, but fucks me how to do it on a iPhone.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Not really, I just copied and paste that section from a on line news paper article and that was the text it was in.
I would never go to the trouble or waist my time writing that much about the tahs.

Go Reds. I would really like that in bold, but fucks me how to do it on a iPhone.
Can't fault your passion. biggsy.
I'm looking forward to being at Suncorp this Saturday. Hope it's a good game.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
COMBATIVE Michael Cheika is inciting his NSW Waratahs to start hating Queensland again and the more Suncorp Stadium turns snakepit on Saturday night, the better.

These QLD and NSW match up really bring out my Hatred Towards Waratahs Rugby. Cant wait for Saturday,
biggsy - don't think NSW have "hated" QLD nearly as much as the other way around - but thats OK

Finger to start over Hansen (although should be the other way around based on performance to date) - AWH probably benched after last weekend and Ant over Toua (would love to see Toua get a few runs under his belt to show his ability but who do you leave out - maybe Harris at 15 ??????)

To me the question is - How will the Reds handle Falou - such an athlete and hits the line hard

It will be a battle - love this stuff - Reds by 5

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
To me the question is - How will the Reds handle Falou - such an athlete and hits the line hard
I am guessing that they'll kick into the stands to prevent the quick throw and also jam hard in defence so the ball doesn't get to him with much space. It's a bit like the best way to deal with Lomu, hit him as he catches the ball, Ben Tune was probably the master of that.
The Reds defence was probably the best thing to come out of the Brumbies game. They held their line well and only conceded tries to a deflected kick and an intercept late in the game.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I terms of the passion thing I agree to a certain extent to whhat Scoey was saying but I think Cheika is from the same mindset of a recent Tah who had the passion in spades, Phil Waugh. He used to annoy the crap out of me with all his carry on but he won a few Qld v NSW games on the back of his passion alone.
It's very much little brother v big brother stuff. Speaking of which it would be great if Matt Lucas plays on the weekend as the battle between him and Ben, as well as his best mate Liam Gill, would be enjoyable to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.