• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Waratahs, rd2 SR2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
For the one on one match ups I've highlighted in red the player who I think is probably the better player. I tried to do this without my red glasses on but obviously there is going to be bias.

Slipper 1. Tilse
Fainga'a 2. TPN
Holmes 3. Kepu
O’Donoghue 4. Douglas
Simmons 5. Timani
Quirk 6. Dennis (c)
Gill 7. Hooper
Schatz 8. Palu
Lucas 9. McKibbin
Cooper 10. Foley
Ioane 11. Mitchell
Tapuai 12. Carter
Feauai-Sautia 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Shipperley 14. Kingston
Harris 15. Folau

Hanson 16. Ulugia
Anae 17. Robinson
Wallace-Harrison 18. Chapman
Butler 19. Timani
Frisby 20. Hart
Lance 21. Volavola
Morahan 22. Turne

* At 5. Simmons has been rubbish. I haven't seen any of Timani this year but he was really coming on for the Wallabies last year.
* I couldn't split 6 but was favouring Quirk. (red glasses? or does Quirk have the edge?)
* 7 I couldn't split because Gill has been one of our best forwards and both offer something completely different.
* For Fullback I know a lot don't rate Harris, but you can't pick an S15 rookie over the incumbent Wallaby.

The Reds bench looks the stronger I feel so this may prove the difference late in the second half but with a wet track forecast and our starting XV looking fairly vulnerable and somewhat light, the game may be too far gone before the difference of the bench has any effect.

Of course the one on ones mean nothing really; it's how well they perform as a team. But some brilliance in the one on ones can sometimes just be the thing that picks the team up and spurs them on.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think your Red glasses are still on to an extent not to rate Dennis and Hooper higher than Quirk and Gill. Both contests might be close but Dennis has shown himself to be an excellent Super Rugby player for several years and Hooper edged Gill throughout 2012.

Turner has to be rated higher than Morahan. Turner is an excellent defender and has played about 15 tests. They are similar ability in attack. Morahan probably has slightly more x factor but Turner has always been an excellent finisher.

Chapman was excellent last week against the Crusaders. It is definitely close between him and AWH.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Good points Braveheart81. I really like Dennis also but stand by not splitting Hooper and Gill. My preference for Morahan would be more to do with not seeing much of Turner for a long time. Also I'm one of those people who struggle to see Moz as he is and more for his potential.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
hooper>Gill just because of Hooper's ridiculous running game Dennis>Quirk due to experience.

For the reds to win two things need to happen 1. forwards need to at least match the Tahs forwards (however i feel the tahs bench is superior to the reds)

and 2. Cooper can't wait to till fight up front in won or lost to exert himself on the game, whether he like it or not a leadership role has been placed on him with this 22 and he needs to step up and meet the challenge.

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
I think your Red glasses are still on to an extent not to rate Dennis and Hooper higher than Quirk and Gill. Both contests might be close but Dennis has shown himself to be an excellent Super Rugby player for several years and Hooper edged Gill throughout 2012.

Turner has to be rated higher than Morahan. Turner is an excellent defender and has played about 15 tests. They are similar ability in attack. Morahan probably has slightly more x factor but Turner has always been an excellent finisher.

Chapman was excellent last week against the Crusaders. It is definitely close between him and AWH.

I'm with you Braveheart. Dennis and Hooper must be rated higher that their opposites.
Mitchell and Ioane will be an epic battle, and after watching the trial form, and last weeks Reds vs Brumbies game, I would be inclined to put Kingston above Ships too....

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
At best, the Reds forwards will get parity, especially with that second row. The Reds desperately need to attack the Tahs lineout as they should have the advantage there (one of the few areas they have an advantage). Against the Brumbies the Reds didn't compete enough on opposition ball.

The other place the Reds have an advantage is Cooper. The forwards need to get some front foot ball, some quick ball, and hope Cooper works his magic and Taps plays a bit straighter. Not necessarily to score tries, just to get good enough field position and pray that Harris kicks his goals. I can't really see the Reds winning any other way.

Oh, the only other advantages the Reds have is maybe their wingers and the fact they have had one really tough, hard hit out whereas the Tahs have only had trials so far.

Heart says Reds, sadly, head says Tahs. But it should be close, unless a repeat of 2011 occurs and the Tahs forwards roll over the top of the Reds.

From a Tahs point of view, there's a few too many lower work rate forwards - Timani, TPN (on occasion, he's more of an impact player often), Kepu. They need to control the pace of the game and take it to the Reds in tight, then release the backs. The Reds pack looks a little more mobile to me, so they will want to restrict the width until they have the Reds on the back foot.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Can't see the reds winning with that forward pack.

Hopefully they can hold it together long enough for the substitutes to make a difference.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I am also interested to see what happens when Tom Carter meets Rob Simmons......the way simmons got rile dup over nothing last weekend, someone liek Tom Carter is going to make him have aneurism.

But hopefully simmons can save his shit chat and meaningless chest beating for another time, and hit someone with conviction in meaningful way (in a ruck or tackle)

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Cannot believe that S.Fainga'a and Simmons kept their spots in the starting side. How Link doesn't see Hanson as his first choice hooker I'll never know. Fair enough promoting O'Donoghue, but it should not have been at the expense of Wallace-Harrison.

I do agree with F'Sautia at 13, he looked dangerous with ball in hand when he came on. Toua is unlucky to not get another chance this week, but that's just how much depth we have in the outside backs, Morahan is a better player then him.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Cannot believe that S.Fainga'a and Simmons kept their spots in the starting side. How Link doesn't see Hanson as his first choice hooker I'll never know. Fair enough promoting O'Donoghue, but it should not have been at the expense of Wallace-Harrison.

I do agree with F'Sautia at 13, he looked dangerous with ball in hand when he came on. Toua is unlucky to not get another chance this week, but that's just how much depth we have in the outside backs, Morahan is a better player then him.

I am starting to think that maybe he does it for tactical reason? Perhaps he does not trust Saia to have the steady hand to close out the game?

and agreed AWH>Simmons

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

The Reds forwards will be up for this one

I am very happy Lance wasn't given the 12 with Taps being put at 13

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
From a Tahs point of view, there's a few too many lower work rate forwards - Timani, TPN (on occasion, he's more of an impact player often),.
Not sure if I agree with TPN having a lower work rate. I would consider him one of the hardest working hookers in the country.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If the Reds forwards fire up, and I think they will, they have plenty of firepower in those backs to cause problems. Chris F-Sautia at 13 could be interesting. That guy could be anything in time. Should be a juicy contest.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I am starting to think that maybe he does it for tactical reason? Perhaps he does not trust Saia to have the steady hand to close out the game?

and agreed AWH>Simmons

My take on this is that Simmons is there for his line out skills. But he definitely needs to improve around the paddock.

The Yugoslavian Wolf

Herbert Moran (7)
I do believe the young fellas from the Waratahs will come through strong over the next couple of weeks as they gain some experience in the big league. Anyone agree?

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
For the one on one match ups I've highlighted in red the player who I think is probably the better player. I tried to do this without my red glasses on but obviously there is going to be bias.

Slipper 1. Tilse
Fainga'a 2. TPN
Holmes 3. Kepu
O’Donoghue 4. Douglas
Simmons 5. Timani
Quirk 6. Dennis (c)
Gill 7. Hooper
Schatz 8. Palu
Lucas 9. McKibbin
Cooper 10. Foley
Ioane 11. Mitchell
Tapuai 12. Carter
Feauai-Sautia 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Shipperley 14. Kingston
Harris 15. Folau

Hanson 16. Ulugia
Anae 17. Robinson
Wallace-Harrison 18. Chapman
Butler 19. Timani
Frisby 20. Hart
Lance 21. Volavola
Morahan 22. Turne

* At 5. Simmons has been rubbish. I haven't seen any of Timani this year but he was really coming on for the Wallabies last year.
* I couldn't split 6 but was favouring Quirk. (red glasses? or does Quirk have the edge?)
* 7 I couldn't split because Gill has been one of our best forwards and both offer something completely different.
* For Fullback I know a lot don't rate Harris, but you can't pick an S15 rookie over the incumbent Wallaby.

The Reds bench looks the stronger I feel so this may prove the difference late in the second half but with a wet track forecast and our starting XV looking fairly vulnerable and somewhat light, the game may be too far gone before the difference of the bench has any effect.

Of course the one on ones mean nothing really; it's how well they perform as a team. But some brilliance in the one on ones can sometimes just be the thing that picks the team up and spurs them on.

Not too bad an effort but even though both my eyes are red, I see Dennis and Hooper being slightly ahead of our guys (only slightly). I see Holmes as a touch better than Kepu (plenty will disagree), Lucas ahead of McKibbin, Folau ahead of Harris (controversial).

Cyril Towers (30)
Has the tahs team been announced? I think the bench may look a little different to what we are assuming above.

Status
Not open for further replies.