• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Waratahs - Roma Festival of Rugby 10 Feb

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
With one trial left, what does everyone want to see out of the next game.

A couple of things for me -
- hoping to see all of Blyth, Smith, JOC (James O'Connor), Lynagh and at least one of the hookers back
- would like to see a back three with Petaia on the wing and Campbell at fullback
- would like to see our scrum continue to impress and our lineout humming too
- better breakdown work to cut down our turnovers

Improvement in the ball control too, but the above are the main focus points.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
With one trial left, what does everyone want to see out of the next game.

A couple of things for me -
- hoping to see all of Blyth, Smith, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor), Lynagh and at least one of the hookers back
- would like to see a back three with Petaia on the wing and Campbell at fullback
- would like to see our scrum continue to impress and our lineout humming too
- better breakdown work to cut down our turnovers

Improvement in the ball control too, but the above are the main focus points.

x Ruckwork, locks going through the rucks, mauls that look like they might hold ground against the Kiwis.
x I think Lynagh may not be due until Round 1, what is the deal with JOC (James O'Connor)? Start HMP and Campbell with Jock having a roving playmaker brief. I'd like to see how that plays out. Creighton to close the game.
x I'd stick with Paisami and Flook in the centres looking for a build in cohesion

Petaia is tricky, he needs to be on the field for sure, but that will bugger something I've listed there.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
x Ruckwork, locks going through the rucks, mauls that look like they might hold ground against the Kiwis.
x I think Lynagh may not be due until Round 1, what is the deal with JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)? Start HMP and Campbell with Jock having a roving playmaker brief. I'd like to see how that plays out. Creighton to close the game.
x I'd stick with Paisami and Flook in the centres looking for a build in cohesion

Petaia is tricky, he needs to be on the field for sure, but that will bugger something I've listed there.
Surely you would keep Petia on one of the wings? He plays his best footy there and is easily a better choice to either Aubry or Vunivalu.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think Petaia has the potential to be an elite Winger and an OK player in the other spots.

Flook looks like he's becoming the centre piece of the Reds backline play. As he should be, but when watching the game v the Force I couldn't help but think gee this bloke could easily be a Fullback. Has the size, athleticism to go with a nice kick and pass game.

I think the Reds need to have Campbell at 15. No idea how quick they all are but it felt like a lack of straight line speed at times with the starting back 3 in the Force game.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Apparently big Miles A impressed on the weekend and will start v the Reds. Both Sinclair and Porecki injured so both will be missing. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) and Pietsch will both get a half. Jake Gordon, Lambet and Vailanu back too.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think i heard Taj Annan is due to get a good run this weekend also
I think Petaia has the potential to be an elite Winger and an OK player in the other spots.

Flook looks like he's becoming the centre piece of the Reds backline play. As he should be, but when watching the game v the Force I couldn't help but think gee this bloke could easily be a Fullback. Has the size, athleticism to go with a nice kick and pass game.

I think the Reds need to have Campbell at 15. No idea how quick they all are but it felt like a lack of straight line speed at times with the starting back 3 in the Force game.
Long time fan of Flook, but the game vs the Force wasn't one of his best. I would prefer Flook on the wing over Aubrey though

Grealy impressed me on the weekend also, looks to have filled out a bit and good strength in contact for a smaller guy

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)

Petaia and his potential are all we hear. When he fulfils it is what we are all waiting for.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Apparently big Miles A impressed on the weekend and will start v the Reds. Both Sinclair and Porecki injured so both will be missing. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) and Pietsch will both get a half. Jake Gordon, Lambet and Vailanu back too.
What were the nature of injuries to Sinclair and Porecki? ie. are these niggles or something we have to worry about?

Edit: @braveheart answered here: Calf & Achillies

Last edited:

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Eh that's bullshit. Petaia is already a great wing, particularly at Super Rugby level, and a shoe in for every single Wallaby squad.

He has potential to move to fullback if they choose to give him dedicated time there, but its not needed
The other potential position for Petaia is in the centres in a role similar to what the All Blacks did with Jordie Barrett.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I dont think thats very realistic tbh.
Eddie did talk a bit about wanting to shift him to 12, but it hasn't come up since he left. And with Annan coming through in that mould for the Reds I can't see us throwing Petaia at yet another position and trying him their without significant interest from on high (or Petaia himself, but that would likely be motivated by the national setup).

Hogan

Peter Burge (5)
Eddie did talk a bit about wanting to shift him to 12, but it hasn't come up since he left. And with Annan coming through in that mould for the Reds I can't see us throwing Petaia at yet another position and trying him their without significant interest from on high (or Petaia himself, but that would likely be motivated by the national setup).
Petaia’s strength imo is his running game. Give him the ball and run hard. So I believe his best position is wing. He hasn’t got the hands or ball playing skills to play in the centres where he also struggles at times to adjust in defence. And from what I’ve seen, his kicking game is a bit erratic to play 15. So if I was coaching him, I’d play him on the wing and give him a roving role like Marika and Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase). And tell him not to think about it too much…just get the ball in your hands and go hard son.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
1. Angus Bell (Sydney University)
2. Mahe Vailanu (Gordon)
3. Harry Johnson-Holmes (Sydney University)
4. Jed Holloway (Southern Districts)
5. Miles Amatosero (Eastern Suburbs)
6. Lachie Swinton (Sydney University)
7. Charlie Gamble (Eastern Suburbs)
8. Langi Gleeson (Manly)
9. Jake Gordon © (Sydney University)
10. Tane Edmed (Eastwood)
11. Dylan Pietsch (Randwick)
12. Lalakai Foketi (Manly)
13. Mosese Tuipolotu (Eastern Suburbs)
14. Mark Nawaqanitawase (Eastwood)
15. Joey Walton (Gordon)

Reserves
Theo Fourie (Randwick)
Hayden Thompson-Stringer (Manly)
Daniel Botha (Sydney University)
Ned Slack-Smith (Warringah)
Teddy Wilson (Eastern Suburbs)
Jack Bowen (Eastern Suburbs)
Harry Wilson (Eastern Suburbs)
Triston Reilly (Randwick)
Vuate Karawalevu (West Harbour)
Ben Distaso (Eastern Suburbs)
Jack Barrett (Randwick)
Sam Thomson (Warringah)
Gabrielle Vendetti (Hunter Wildfires)

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
1707361531555.png

Excited to see what #22 can do - anyone heard of him?

Also wonder if Henry and Paisami were swapped last minute, seeing Henry still has 12 next to his name…

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Queensland Reds v NSW Waratahs
​

1. Peni Ravai
2. Matt Faessler
3. Zane Nonggorr
4. Seru Uru
5. Ryan Smith
6. Liam Wright (co-capt)
7. Fraser McReight
8. Harry Wilson
9. Tate McDermott (co-capt)
10. Harry McLaughlin-Phillips
11. Mac Grealy
12. Hunter Paisami
13. Josh Flook
14. Suliasi Vunivalu
15. Jock Campbell

Reserves: 

16. Josh Nasser
17. Alex Hodgman
18. Sef Fa’agase
19. Connor Vest
20. John Bryant
21. Kalani Thomas
22. Tom Lynagh
23. Jordan Petaia
25. Cormac Daly
26. George Blake
27. Lawson Creighton
28. Tim Ryan
12. Isaac Henry

Good to see Nasser, Smith and Lynagh all ready to go and getting a run here.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
No Angus Blyth or Taj Annan yet though, are they injured?
Taj was running water last week.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
No Angus Blyth or Taj Annan yet though, are they injured?
Taj was running water last week.
It was mentioned that Blyth had a knee injury in the team list for the trial against the Force. No mention of how long he's out for or if Annan is injured.