• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Brumbies, 2011R16

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
/
I will celebrate from the rooftops the day I see senior management officers and coaches in Australian rugby taking proper responsibility for negative outcomes versus lurching for excuses, blame games (often via second rate rugby journalists), and direct or indirect attacks upon players and parties other than themselves. Not taking responsibility where it is due is a classic sign of very poor culture, and typically a smoke signal that things will deteriorate further before they will be corrected (by better replacements).
RH that's all good in theory,and I agree any coach with a long term tenure and control over both his coaching and playing staff should be accountable and judged on those measures you mention.

That is completely different to the example of Tony Rae, he is in a fill in position in a club where the senior players are beholden to no one.Clearly he was frustrated beyond belief when he delivered the spray.Whilst I think you are correct that the spray was probably counter productive, that does not make it less valid.
He is being judged by the players results, why shouldn't the players be scrutinised for their results and application?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Interesting to note that even though the Crusaders crueled the Reds Scrum from start to finish and they gave away two? tight heads they didn't get enough of a dividend from that dominance to make it game changing. I also expected them to have even a great level of dominance than they did with at one of the Reds getting sin binned for scrum infringements. I was in fact pleasantly surprised that they kept trying in that aspect right until the 80th minute.

The Brumbies are in fact a weak scrum in my assessment. They have at times struggled against similarly placed units. Do not be too surprised if Alec Evans and Link haven't got a surprise or two stashed away for the mules here. Alexander still has unresolved issues with his set up (though he did infinitely better last week to be sure). I expect Daley to pack low bending his knees as he seems to do and encourage Alexander into his flawed technique of hinging.

Weak?

Nah, at full strength they're got a pretty good scrum... at the moment, they're pretty poor...

Palmer makes a lot of difference to that...

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Weak?

Nah, at full strength they're got a pretty good scrum... at the moment, they're pretty poor...

Palmer makes a lot of difference to that...

So one man makes a scrum good or weak? Sorry their scrum for having three current Wallaby front rowers is poor. Fact is Palmer will not be there and the questionable Ma'afu is also absent. Jono Owen will take a bit of work to get up to speed and I question if he will get that sort of tutledge at the Mules. Jerry Y is a good LHP but his injury was significant and he will take a while to come back. Chisholm and Hand have also been ordinary in the second row with more than a couple of time having them getting split. On paper they should be able to dominate the Reds, whether that will happen or not, as I said I doubt it.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well, they won't this weekend.

But at full strength the Brumbies' scrum either dominated or was on par with the other teams.

One man does make a big difference when you lose someone of the calibre of Palmer, shift your LH to TH and then bring in a rookie TH to play LH.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just looking through the stats.....

The Reds ONLY win in Brisbane over the Brumbies was a 19-18 nailbiter on the 12th of March, 1999. 12 Fucking years ago!!!

Think tonight's the night for the Reds to end another unwanted streak - the Brumbies 5 consecutive wins over them in Brisbane...... That's disgraceful really. Time to put the Reds No. 1 bogeyside away.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I really hope that the boys do the job. Even after they beat the Cru and the Blues I still worry when we play other Aussie teams. Brumbies players will be looking to justify why they should be selected in the Wallabies squad so they should be up for the game.

A

allitsab

Perhaps a sign of things to come Vic Reds Fan, Aren't the demons... Terrible?

I sure hope not - there's been a few unexpected results this weekend (eels/dragons drawing, force winning and of course demons winning) - so fingers crossed the Reds don't let the brumbies in at any stage.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
Perhaps a sign of things to come Vic Reds Fan, Aren't the demons... Terrible?

They have been poor this year, but have the players to be top 8. The problem was that they lost to Carlton last week and then Carlton accused them of playing bruise-free football and so they came out this week breathing fire. That and the Bombers were woeful. QC (Quade Cooper) scoring a hat-trick would make up for it.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think we can throw history out the window here...

If the Brumbies were fielding a semi-decent side than I'd put money on them but at the moment they're just a rabble...

I watched some of the Force v Highlanders game last night, and despite the fact that neither team are world beaters I couldn't help but be envious of some of the basic things that were on display...

I have no idea what any of the current coaching staff is doing because they just lack the basic skills and execution.

How is it that a forward pack that contains test representatives always look like they're struggling to clean out at the ruck?

Everytime a player is tackled I think "are they going to secure the ball?"

That's something of a concern when a player is isolated... but shouldn't feel that way at every single tackle...

And if they do the other team has generally slowed it down, and then Valentine wanders over and slows it down some more...

Linebreaks come with no support play... unless it's Ben Alexander.

Passing... catching... straightening the attack (unless you're one of the two outside centres playing on the wing or fullback)...

Bad selections...

The list goes on... I'm just gunning for a win over the Rebels...

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I think we can throw history out the window here...

If the Brumbies were fielding a semi-decent side than I'd put money on them but at the moment they're just a rabble...

I watched some of the Force v Highlanders game last night, and despite the fact that neither team are world beaters I couldn't help but be envious of some of the basic things that were on display...

I have no idea what any of the current coaching staff is doing because they just lack the basic skills and execution.

How is it that a forward pack that contains test representatives always look like they're struggling to clean out at the ruck?

Everytime a player is tackled I think "are they going to secure the ball?"

That's something of a concern when a player is isolated... but shouldn't feel that way at every single tackle...

And if they do the other team has generally slowed it down, and then Valentine wanders over and slows it down some more...

Linebreaks come with no support play... unless it's Ben Alexander.

Passing... catching... straightening the attack (unless you're one of the two outside centres playing on the wing or fullback)...

Bad selections...

The list goes on... I'm just gunning for a win over the Rebels...

S293 - Can I say that I genuinely admire and respect your objectivity over a number of your team's problems and coaching flaws - Aus rugby doesn't thrive on fawning Fan rabidlity, it thrives on passion and team-love coupled with good, open analysis of all aspects of play, coaching and management. The Brumbies have been badly let down by their leaders, but the key purges and bullet-biting have largely taken place. Now to rebuild from a near white sheet, uninterfered with by the old egos and cultural nepotisms.

I am absolutely certain that under JW, by no later than Rnds 8-10 S15 2012, the Brumbies will be back with a bang, and singing on the field. As admittedly a Reds' fan, I can't wait for that day, it will be great for Aus rugby!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Crimes now reporting that Jerry Y will start at LH, pushing Owen to the bench...

I guess the coaching staff actually got around to watching the last few matches...

Also, Speight had to dash off to a funeral in Fiji and is flying back in this morning, but if he doesn't make it on time A Smith will play on the wing and Cam Crawford will be brought onto the bench...

I guess Frankie is really out of favour... or is he injured?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just looking through the stats.....

The Reds ONLY win in Brisbane over the Brumbies was a 19-18 nailbiter on the 12th of March, 1999. 12 Fucking years ago!!!

Think tonight's the night for the Reds to end another unwanted streak - the Brumbies 5 consecutive wins over them in Brisbane...... That's disgraceful really. Time to put the Reds No. 1 bogeyside away.

Everyone's breaking Brumbies hoodoos this year - why not.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They're giving them away!

Brumbies 2011 hoodoo clearance on now!

Get in quick before they run out.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
When you look at the teams man on man the Brumbies don't look that bad. It is the Team side of things they are having trouble with. And that could click any time!

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
When you look at the teams man on man the Brumbies don't look that bad. It is the Team side of things they are having trouble with. And that could click any time!

This exact quote has been the story of the Brumbies since round 2.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Direct clash with the Brisbane Lions v Swans match tonight. I think the Reds should comfortably outdraw that match in the crowd stakes. Early prediction from me is 32,000.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)

Not really, Moore and McCabe are the only players that I'd consider to be superior to their opposite number currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.