• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Bulls Rnd 5 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
There aren't many contenders, but agree.

If you were compiling a best XV from those 2 teams last night, Higgers might make it to give him due credit. Who else would I ask!? He looked the only Red that metaphorically and actually could 'run with the Bulls'. Maybe Shipps.

Id say Lance was 2nd best to Higgers last night before his unfortunate injury. Made some great tackles and had some decent touches as well.

Was rather disappointed with Gill when he came on. Granted the game was probably already out of reach but he seemed to give up on plays quickly, not his usual tenacious attitude. Maybe a bit of burn out for the young player?

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
No need to start booing our team yet.

The Reds are only 7 points behind the top of the table, all of the top 4 teams have had a bye, and there's plenty of rugby left in the season.

Interesting point made above - is it possible to get Giteau back?

If the Reds fans start booing our team, even if we do not win again this year, I will not be happy. I have said for some time that I do not aggree with the Tah's fans booing their team. Please don't let it happen.

You made me feel better for a nano second there Schad. Then I started to think - What if we play like that for the rest of the season? <sob, sob sob>

Please not Giteau. I know we are in a bad way, but really..... are we that badly off?

W

What2040

There aren't many contenders, but agree.

If you were compiling a best XV from those 2 teams last night, Higgers might make it to give him due credit. Who else would I ask!? He looked the only Red that metaphorically and actually could 'run with the Bulls'. Maybe Shipps.

nice "pun" RH

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Pretty gobsmacked really, that was an awful result with anything that could go wrong going wrong. I tend to take a 'glass half full"view of things but it was a struggle to do that in the case of the Reds performance. Before we go there though, well done to the Bulls. A dominant performance across the park, in both defence and attack, and a well deserved win.

Some random thoughts:

The first half for the Reds, whilst not outstanding, wasn't that bad, and they would have been well in the game if a couple of those penalty kicks had been successful. The inability to keep the scoreboard ticking over was a real pressure builder.

The forward pack were monstered, and it's the age old truism, if your forwards are going backwards you will struggle. I really think that Slipper should have started in place of Daley, and I don't think Samo was well utilised off the bench. Quirk's mongrel and tenacity might have been useful out there as well.

Defence was shite. I can't recall seeing that many missed tackles from a Reds team. At times the Bulls 12 looked like he was running at and through a schoolboys side.

A couple of the Reds backs look to be playing with low confidence.

The lack of respect for ball retention was apalling although I guess once the score got away from them they had to resort to the high risk stuff.

Jonno Lance's injury looked painful, poor bugger. Season over?

On the upside, Shipperley continues to play well, I thought Schatz put in an 80 minute effort, and Frisby and Gill impressed me when they came off the bench.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The Reds were bossed at the breakdown, the were simply one out and out muscled

Yes fp. Would you not agree that, generally, Reds' forwards work at the breakdown has deteriorated from 2011 standards. The 'quick ball' that the 2011 Reds 9 and 10 fed on so effectively came from skillful and intense work up front and rapid clean out. Reds 2011 backs often got the credit for what was simply excellent breakdown work up front.

This season speed of support to the breakdown often seems slow, forwards aren't quickly assembling and driving over the ball and pushing defenders back. Scrappy individual attempts at just busy work on the ball, with low effectiveness, seems to be becoming the norm. Intensity where it comes is more a single statement, than a team statement.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
We were bad, very bad. No excuses at all.

What's done is done and we can't change it. We move on having hit rock bottom and this will be the loss that kicks us into gear.

Tough day at the office for Murphy but who I feel shattered for is Jonno Lance.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yes fp. Would you not agree that, generally, Reds' forwards work at the breakdown has deteriorated from 2011 standards. The 'quick ball' that the 2011 Reds 9 and 10 fed on so effectively came from skillful and intense work up front and rapid clean out. Reds 2011 backs often got the credit for what was simply excellent breakdown work up front.

This season speed of support to the breakdown often seems slow, forwards aren't quickly assembling and driving over the ball and pushing defenders back. Scrappy individual attempts at just busy work on the ball, with low effectiveness, seems to be becoming the norm. Intensity where it comes is more a single statement, than a team statement.

The Reds were best last season when the moved the ball away from contact quickly

That was last year, this year teams are being stopped from sealing off and rewarded for competing on their feet. The Reds haven't adapted so far to that, it takes a requirement to commit more to the breakdown, something they are loathed to do as it removes their running options

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Some thoughts.
We are missing A. Fainga'a like NSW miss Carter. No back is running straight and hard at the line.
Simmons is a shadow of last years model.
Who is next weeks fly half?
If the bulls play like that every week they will win the comp.
Holmes is a better starter than finisher. Let's keep starting him.
We lost nearly every collision.

Sent using Tapatalk on a very old phone

Paddysboy

Stan Wickham (3)
Maybe it all started to go wrong when we switched from donating goats and went to water...........er sorry...........

Perhaps instead of blooding young guys at 10 and watching them get smashed or at least severely dented, Link should go to the other extreme and trawl for a few of the old blokes still running around up north. Maybe Paul Warwick would like to come home for a Qld winter (he can't be more than 31....) or how about Shane Drahm? He's in Japan isn't he? He's still younger than Radike (though only just). Okay maybe that's just a bit too ridiculous but it seems an old head or two couldn't hurt......

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Just another thing: does anyone agree that from the get go last night there seemed to be no decipherable Reds' game plan of any sort.

Or was there one that was effectively obliterated by the Bulls within 5 mins?

After the Bulls' multiple Tasers were successfully applied and the patient suitably stunned, we then seemed to try every game plan in the book, kicking, play wide, hold for phases, and nothing worked, or was not permitted to.

And why our coaches don't instruct: '...you make another reckless fucking grubber or poorly executed chip over that just gifts possession away and you'll be sent home...' is beyond me.

Reactions: BPC

Paddysboy

Stan Wickham (3)
Agreed RH. The kicking away of possession with the grubber was particularly frustrating. Saia's ten minute cameo was awful too.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Because there's only so many times you can make an empty threat.

And it's one.

"You'll be sent home if you make a mistake" will suck the heart out of a team.

If players are making mistakes then it's their preparation that's at fault, and therefore the coaches responsibility.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well was away overnight and haven't seen game yet, was gobsmacked when I heard score, and perhaps I need to leave it a couple of days to watch game and see what happened.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Some thoughts.
We are missing A. Fainga'a like NSW miss Carter. No back is running straight and hard at the line.
Simmons is a shadow of last years model.
Who is next weeks fly half?
If the bulls play like that every week they will win the comp.
Holmes is a better starter than finisher. Let's keep starting him.
We lost nearly every collision.

Sent using Tapatalk on a very old phone

And to think that there were a few observers forecasting some tough years for the Bulls. They've really benefited from the new blood.

The Reds on the other hand - faaaark... I was on a plane during the game, not sure I want to watch the replay. Reg will be pulling on the boots at 5/8 the way we are going.

The Force will think they are a chance this weekend. I think Premier rugby in Brisbane will be a few bodies light on the weekend, maybe we should hook a full backline from whoever is going the best:)

Status
Not open for further replies.