• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Chiefs, Fri 8th July, Suncorp Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Chiefs by 50.

I am working on an hypothesis that the closer to game day the more pessimism is among the fans and trying to determine if there is correlation with the final outcome.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Looking at the general number of caps the chiefs players have, I'm surprised at how low it appears. Just from a glance, most players only seem to have been around for 2/3 seasons at this level?

Yes I'm surprised by that too, particularly in the forwards. The props have 12 caps between them. Our starting props have about 250!

We should be able to match them in several areas including the scrum and forward play generally, but unfortunately our backline vs their defence is going to be no match for their backline vs our defence. Statistics from this season say we'll run out of puff at the 60 minute mark and they'll run away with it.

T

TOCC

I hope the Chiefs are wearing their alternate jersey, could be a clash with the Reds Indigenous Round design

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yes I'm surprised by that too, particularly in the forwards. The props have 12 caps between them. Our starting props have about 250!

We should be able to match them in several areas including the scrum and forward play generally, but unfortunately our backline vs their defence is going to be no match for their backline vs our defence. Statistics from this season say we'll run out of puff at the 60 minute mark and they'll run away with it.

More than this. We have been leaking points, expect the Chiefs to be pretty enthusiastic about that and awesome on the counter.

Good to see the recent returns and new guys getting another run. I'll be taking a close look at the locks this game.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Unfortunately I won't be taking a close look at anybody, because the missus invited a bunch of her friends along and they all baulked at paying for good seats, so I'll be in squinting at the field from well behind the tryline up in the nosebleeds.

Last season it was pretty easy to sneak into the platinum seats after kickoff but they seem to have cracked down on that. If the constant stream of young lads getting turfed out by security are any indication.

I compiled the numbers on points for/against a few days ago and surprisingly the Reds are actually outscoring teams in the third quarter, but in the fourth quarter they usually score 0 and concede 10 to 20 on average.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
Looking forward to seeing Duncan get a run here. Offers genuine ball playing ability, will engage defenders and create more space. Has been playing 12 @ Norths all year in a 2nd playmaker role, alot of Norths attack structured around his passing ability in the midfield channel (Long & short balls). More importantly, hes prepared to take a hit in order to put someone else in a hole. There were glimpses of this vs the Brumbies (short no look pass to Kerevi on the outside shoulder nearly dished a try).

What was a learning curve last year was the general decision making and pressure kicking expected of a 10. Hopefully the Reds keep alot of ball in hand or clear to touch properly or the Chiefs counter attack will tear them a new one. With Frisby handling most of the kicking, DP will offer what Jake hasn't been.

Jack Tuttle needs more running opportunities and should be encouraged to run it back more often, kicked too much last week but understandably was probably under instruction. He is a strong ball runner and I believe can make a bigger impact.

Chiefs up tempo style will offer a similar game as the Sunwolves, except with better execution and better defense. Reds need to limit counter opportunities and counter themselves. Expecting Chiefs to win but keen to see the Reds adapt (only way they will stay in this)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah I hope for an excellent performance by Duncan.

If he does, then it is another nail in the coffin of a certain coach (after throwing all his confidence for 10 or so starts in another bloke - and that's bot even mentioning the Green issue much at all). The thing is that Jake would have again started if not injured.

It will be a big ask for the kid but good luck

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I really think Nick Chapman deserves a shot from norths he's always a strong 10

Green deserved a shot too, but he never got one.

Looking at the general number of caps the chiefs players have, I'm surprised at how low it appears. Just from a glance, most players only seem to have been around for 2/3 seasons at this level?

Some of those players have played for other franchises (Hames, Bird, at least).

an observer

Herbert Moran (7)
McIntyre had an excellent start also. Coaching has a lot to answer for. IMO That kids natural game has been coached out. Maybe if he wasnt used so much in defence he could concentrate more on his attacking game. Good luck to Duncan, he is a very promising young player, as is Jake. The Reds issues are 30 odd men deep x poor coaching x poor management. Hiding to nothing. Lets bring back QC (Quade Cooper) so we can once again blame him. Afterall, someones got to be the fall guy right!

Houndi

Frank Nicholson (4)
Reds definitely a chance in this one and I reckon they'll dominate the set piece and all that boring forward play stuff. However the chiefs kicking game and counter attack will be the difference for mine, chiefs by 10.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Slipper works incredibly hard. Real pride in the jersey. Imagine being in the middle of 1800kg pushing your face into the ground every second scrum and still putting in the work rate he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.