• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Richie McCaw biography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
Another interesting excerpt is that in the RWC Final the coaches were sending down messages in the last 20 mins instructing that they belt the ball down the other end, however McCaw fearing a French backs counter ignored those messages and decided to rely on the pack and their defensive discipline. Big call that.

J

Jiggles

Another interesting excerpt is that in the RWC Final the coaches were sending down messages in the last 20 mins instructing that they belt the ball down the other end, however McCaw fearing a French backs counter ignored those messages and decided to rely on the pack and their defensive discipline. Big call that.

Not much faith shown by McCaw in the backs then. If Joubert wasn't paralyzed with fear then I'd say this would've backfired big time.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
If I was Richie I would have gone with, Planes, Strains and Ruck Infringements - The Richie McCaw Story.

Richie McCaw and the Cloak of Invisibility
harry-potter-invisibility-cloak_0.jpg

J

Jay

Not much faith shown by McCaw in the backs then. If Joubert wasn't paralyzed with fear then I'd say this would've backfired big time.

For the most part they kept the French on the wrong side of the AB 10m line so that even if a penalty had come (and remember Joubert did actually give the French a kick that would have given them the lead) it wasn't gonna be a regulation kick.

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
It was common knowledge over here that the senior AB group supported the Henry/Hansen/Smith bid. McCaw is just telling it how it was.

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
If I put his book down on the far side of my table, will I still be able to see it when I next go looking for it, or will it be like the man himself and be invisible?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is the trend to publish "biographies" before a player has retired motivated by financial and "brand awareness" reasons, or a genuine desire to simply tell a story?
Are money hungry, glory seeking Ghost Writers behind this?
I'm pretty sure the that in the "olden days" a player would only produce one memoire, well after retirement. Is senility catching up on my rose coloured recollections of the past, or was it simply that the olden day blokes couldn't write?

T

TOCC

It's a professional environment today, the 'old days' followed different rules...

It makes sense for a player/coach to release a book when their marketability is at an all time high...

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
Is the trend to publish "biographies" before a player has retired motivated by financial and "brand awareness" reasons, or a genuine desire to simply tell a story?
I'm pretty sure the that in the "olden days" a player would only produce one memoire, well after retirement. Is senility catching up on my rose coloured recollections of the past, or was it simply that the olden day blokes couldn't write?
McCaw was on the TV this morning - His motivation was to tell the story given the events of last year and the context of 2007. From a financial perspective his profile and status is probably as high as it has ever been so no doubt a good time to release the book. The print run is 60,000 - a record for a NZ written book apparently.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Perhaps not the most elegant way of putting it. Many professional sportsmen (and celebrities for that matter) can not string a sentence together to save themselves.

Ghost writers are sometimes used to "assist" them in that task, to produce something that is actually readible for the market.

The marketability of a Ghost writer is only as good as the sales of the books they have collaborated on in the past. The more successful the "Bio" on person X is, the more that Gost Writer Y can charge for their services to assist person Z on their biography, and the more likely that person Z (or manager of person Z) is to engage Ghost writer Y to assist on the project.

So, is the increase in player biographies hitting the market "early" due to pressure from Ghost Writers looking for work, and to enhance their CV's?

To flow on from the old fogie view, with bookshops and print in general struggling, will this be available as an eBook or whatever they are called?

I still like having paper and ink that I can feel and touch. Not so with the Junior Jarses. The old metric of a print run of x thousand will need to be merged with the "ebook" download sales/count as well.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)

Are you hunting wabbits?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
HJ , also one of reasons players used to retire first, was so thay could take money without being branded a professional.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)

I wonder where that fear came from? Maybe here (4:14)?

Status
Not open for further replies.