• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Richie McCaw biography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^

The bar has been set very high for Chapter Two.

Great effort, and look forward to reading remaining excerpts.

Has the Scarfman been contracted to produce the Youtube version of the book?

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
15gtitj.jpg

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
I've already read it and currently re-reading it.

It's on iTunes for $22.99 if youre keen.

Extremely good read outside the rugby spectacle. Talks immensely about his grandfather and how his love of flying (Jim McCaw was a fighter pilot in WWII for the RAF) and influence rubbed off on him. Once you look outside that rugby subject and how he was growing up.

He only got serious about rugby because of his weight his dad said that he'd enjoy it better at the age of 12. Not saying you'll lose weight by doing so.

Mentioned once about his 99.6 on his maths exam in final year and how he missed 1 question on that exam. I'm not sure if I could picture Richie McCaw the maths geek...
Richie is an intellectual and it does rub off in the book a bit.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
It was common knowledge over here that the senior AB group supported the Henry/Hansen/Smith bid. McCaw is just telling it how it was.

Exactly. It was about the whole package and what would work best with the current group of ABs. Deans coaching style with the flaws it may have, was still very successful at the Saders.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
I saw a prominent ex-AB speak in 2008 and managed to have a a couple of beers with him after. I asked him his thoughts on the Henry re-appointment and Deans thing & he said exactly what Bon just said.

Made for some hilarity watching Deans supporters from Canterbury get all frothy mouthed and head out to purchase Wallaby jumpers, when the players they equally idolised were the ones who gave the nod to Henry.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Anyone else think it must've been an interesting stint with Mitchell/Deans coaching the ABs together, given what Richie's said? Robbie "my way or the highway" Deans with John "my way or the motherf***ing highway you f***ing c***" Mitchell. Fly on the wall stuff.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Anyone else think it must've been an interesting stint with Mitchell/Deans coaching the ABs together, given what Richie's said? Robbie "my way or the highway" Deans with John "my way or the motherf***ing highway you f***ing c***" Mitchell. Fly on the wall stuff.

From what I've seen and read, Mitchell very much took his cues from Robbie during that time and seemed to almost look for his approval at times. Seems he was a very good learner.....

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
From the tidbits I've read the grammar is barely passable for an AB's captain let alone for a professional writer.

Yes !

That's an all too common trend with rugby biographies.

I started the Pdivvy one but I will have to go back to it. Horrible piece of shit excuse for writing.

The John Smit, Matfield and Jake White books books were all the same. Big rush after the World Cup to get the thing on the shelves so quality control was sorely lacking. I get them anyway as I collect rugby bio's.

Maybe I should be drunk when I read these things?

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Interesting that Quade got under Richie's skin, to the point where the great Richie lost his gameplan, and didn't we win that game?

I'd recommend someone kneeing him in the head every week.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Maybe I should be drunk when I read these things?

I am sure it will help. Please give it a try and let us know how you go. It is important to determine whether the books are best read with a skinful of beer, wine, scotch or other spirits. You may need to experiment with hallucinogens to make sense of PDivvy however.

J

Jay

Interesting that Quade got under Richie's skin, to the point where the great Richie lost his gameplan, and didn't we win that game?

I'd recommend someone kneeing him in the head every week.

Probably more to do with the 20-3 first half performance - the knee happened in the 53rd minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.