• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rio Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well this is somewhat unexpected: DJ Forbes has stood down as NZ 7's captain:

"I've had an awesome run with this team and this is just a change of guard. My key focus is on getting my body to 100 per cent and by stepping aside from the responsibilities of captain I can focus solely on what I need to do to get in the best shape mentally and physically. Titch and I agree this is the best way to get me to the Olympics," Forbes said in a statement on Friday.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...nd-sevens-skipper-in-bid-to-make-rio-olympics

He was NZ 7's POTY last year so it's probably not a form issue but maybe an indication that if, as expected, Savea and/ or SBW and/ or Messam come into the setup then Forbes may not make the starting 7 for major matches.

T

TOCC

Kenya Sevens Disbanded, new contracts for all positions up for grabs

http://sportsnewsarena.com/kenya-7-s-unit-disbanded

Well. That's just awful.

Perhaps, but the KRU make some fairly interesting observations about chasing results and building the house from top down which left the organisation with a lack of a feeder system.. Seems like a case of player power and the KRU called their bluff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ben Smith & Beauden Barrett have both ruled out trying their hand at 7's so at this point only SBW, Messam & Savea of the current AB group might make it.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pat McCutcheon and Henry Hutchison added to Australian Rugby 7's programme for 2015/2016.

10 years age difference - :)

Pat McCutcheon Factfile
Born: 24 June 1987
Place of Birth: Narromine, New South Wales
Height: 187cm
Weight: 103kg
Province: NSW Waratahs (2010-2015)
Representative Honours: Sydney Stars (National Rugby Championship), Sydney Fleet (Australian Rugby Championship), Australian Sevens, Australia Under 19s, Australian Schoolboys

Henry Hutchison Factfile
Born: 12 February 1997
Place of Birth: Crows Nest, Sydney, New South Wales
Height: 175cm
Weight: 86kg
Representative Honours: Australian Boys Sevens, Australian Under 20s, Australian Schoolboys

http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsAr...cks-for-2016-Murphy-joins-Womens-program.aspx

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wouldn't have thought Cutch had the pace to be valuable for our 7s team. He'll certainly need to trim down a little.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Interesting move from Ardie.

He's obviously got the talent to play sevens really well, but I would have thought that the opportunity to potentially leapfrog Todd and Cane into the GOATs 7 jersey would be too big to ignore.

SBW was always going to, not a surprise. Probably needs to drop a few kgs first though.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Two Ioane's and a Savea. Sounds good.

Williams is also definitely going to have to drop a few kg's, while also getting used to playing in the forwards.

T

TOCC

Jeez, Ardie Savea is a good signing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So Ardie Savea and Akira Ioane won't be play any Super Rugby in 2016?

That's good news for us..

SBW will be one of the worst 7s players ever.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
New Zealand Sevens squad for 2015-16: Dylan Collier (Waikato), Scott Curry (Bay of Plenty), Sam Dickson (Canterbury), DJ Forbes (Counties Manukau), Gillies Kaka (Hawke's Bay), Akira Ioane (Auckland), Rieko Ioane (Auckland), Ben Lam (Auckland), Liam Messam (Waikato), Tim Mikkelson (Waikato), Ardie Savea (Wellington), Sherwin Stowers (Counties Manukau), Sam Vaka (CountiesManukau), Beaudein Waaka (Taranaki), Joe Webber (Waikato), Sonny Bill Williams (Counties Manukau)

Strange how things work out: six months ago plenty of people had Julian Savea locked in for Rio, now he doesn't even rate a mention in the announcement while his little bro, who wasn't in the frame six months ago, is front & centre.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...-messam-confirmed-for-rio-olympics-sevens-bid

Scott Curry is the new skipper, pretty obvious choice really.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
New Zealand Sevens squad for 2015-16: Dylan Collier (Waikato), Scott Curry (Bay of Plenty), Sam Dickson (Canterbury), DJ Forbes (Counties Manukau), Gillies Kaka (Hawke's Bay), Akira Ioane (Auckland), Rieko Ioane (Auckland), Ben Lam (Auckland), Liam Messam (Waikato), Tim Mikkelson (Waikato), Ardie Savea (Wellington), Sherwin Stowers (Counties Manukau), Sam Vaka (CountiesManukau), Beaudein Waaka (Taranaki), Joe Webber (Waikato), Sonny Bill Williams (Counties Manukau)

Strange how things work out: six months ago plenty of people had Julian Savea locked in for Rio, now he doesn't even rate a mention in the announcement while his little bro, who wasn't in the frame six months ago, is front & centre.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...-messam-confirmed-for-rio-olympics-sevens-bid

Scott Curry is the new skipper, pretty obvious choice really.

Does SBW have a poolroom? There must be a frightening variety of memorabilia in there, with the possibility of an Olympic medal to add to it.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Does SBW have a poolroom? There must be a frightening variety of memorabilia in there, with the possibility of an Olympic medal to add to it.

image.jpg

:) :) :)

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)

Apparently a couple of experienced XV players withdrew from contention not too long ago. I'd say a number of test players -- such as Barrett and J.Savea -- wouldn't want to risk losing their positions with the Lions touring in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.