• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Robbie Deans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Regardless of history, we need a successful Australian coach now - not in two years. Four years is long enough already for any messiah to get a team playing good football. We all know the tri-nations win was a claytons victory because of the opposition planning for the RWC. Most of the play this year has been ordinary. It is damaging to our game to have the team stuttering and misfiring along. To still be about second in the world and playing shit football is an indictment on the current set up. If the team was actually playing well then we'd be matching the blacks when it counts.

We haven't played well because Deans can't get inside these blokes heads and switch them on. All the blokes out there last night have shown they are capable of playing world class football. Their inconsistency is so fucking frustrating it has got beyond the point of grinning and bearing it. Australian Rugby needs change at the top. Hopefully the blokes who control JON and Deans are as pissed off as most on here seem to be because it's fucked where we find ourselves now.

To my mind we gotta get Link coaching the team. He has made the biggest impact in a short period of time in the 30 odd years I've been watching the game. He makes more sense when explaining the game and players than any other I've heard. I don't know much about Nucifora other than he got flicked from the Brumbies when they were successful. That wouldn't have happened without good reason. FFS, get Mark Arbib in to sharpen the knives and cut off some fucking heads.

slydare

Frank Nicholson (4)
Gits hasn't wasted much time in sticking the boot in -

His latest tweet "Wat @ewen_mckenzie write to @QuadeCooper shows he understands players & clearly players like playing for him... #RWC11 #clearsolutionthere"

The question is whether this says more about Deans or Gits?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Firstly, none of this post is in defence of Deans at all, just clearing up some misconceptions. When people are upset it becomes a little easy to, er, "run ahead of reality", to put it one way.

Seriously, McKenzie was never the leading candidate for the Wallabies job back then. Ever, ever, ever. It was always Deans, and that was always clear - the question just was if they could get him, or not.

And WJ - you are re-writing history, as has already been pointed out. McKenzie was coming off a poor year at the Tahs the year before, and had been getting roundly panned for relying on his pack to strangle games to death. The Tahs performances actually improved once Link was told he was no longer required there, but it was quite obvious to all observers at the time that Link was never in the running for the Wallabies coach - yes, I also think that the ARU had Nucifora ahead of Link, regardless of what I thought of that at the time.

I firmly believe that Link's time at Stade really developed him as a coach, as well. Saying "what if..." over Link being appointed as Wallabies coach ahead of Deans is an impossible hypothetical, where people are just pushing their own case.

Regarding hiring a backs attacking coach for the Wallabies - well, it's what Deans does. He's a backs coach. Deans runs the attack, and at the Crusaders, he also ran the defensive patterns. Why would you expect Deans to hire for a position that he covers in the coaching team?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
So if deans stays on for the next two years, I think its pretty clear he is going to need new assistants.

I don't think the bloke doing the defense has done that bad a job, especially considering he's moving players around to account for quade. But beyond that, I don't see how we can persist with Williams and Noriega considering the performance of our pigs over the last 2 seasons. Furthermore we need a fulltime kicking coach, a fulltime psychologist, a full time strategist. Perhaps some of those roles could be merged if money is tight.

Who does the brains trust suggest the aru hire in these positions?

Assistant (forwards):
Assistant (backs) ?? Do we need one with deans?
Scrum:
Kicking:
Strategist:
Psychologist:

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Beat me to it slydare. Says more about gits being sore he missed out. RD has done nothing but defend QC (Quade Cooper) all world cup and especially so after last night. Interesting though....

Scotty

David Codey (61)
There is a bit of selective memory here, Link was in the mix, but he didn't have the runs on the board having just moved on from the Tahs to Stade.

At the Tahs he was considered a prudent, tough & smart coach.

It wasn't until he got to the Reds that he became an attacking genius and the new messiah

Some would say he has coached to the talent he had at his disposal.

Of course he would himself admit he has learn a lot of things in the last 5 years.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think Deans has got the wrong attitude. He clearly believes in developing friends amongst the team and in that way they will play in a way to express themselves. This plan hit a brick wall in the Samoa game, then Ireland. He hasn't yet developed the disiplined play amongst the forwards to go with the backs. Might be wrong, but I think that the way to play vs Australia has been exposed three times. They need to go away for a rethink

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So do we all think that Deans never had a proper "game plan" while coaching the Crusaders as well or just while he has been coaching the Wallabies?

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
Gits hasn't wasted much time in sticking the boot in -

His latest tweet "Wat @ewen_mckenzie write to @QuadeCooper shows he understands players & clearly players like playing for him... #RWC11 #clearsolutionthere"

The question is whether this says more about Deans or Gits?

May I respectfully suggest walking into the Brumbies Club house some time when there is a home game and simply saying;
Hands up who wants to train under Deans.
I think you will see a lot of players, old and new, sitting on their hands.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
The evidence for Deans' coaching ability comes almost entirely from his stints at the Crusaders from 2000-2002 and 2004-2007. The Crusaders team that he inherited in 2000 had already won the Super 12 in 1998 and 1999 under Wayne Smith (who took them from last in 1996). To me this proves that he is a coach who can take a winning team and keep it going, but is not evidence that he is able to rebuild a team from the ground up. Incidentally there were similar claims made about John Hart during his career - he did very well with teams that were basically established (Auckland 1984-87 and NZ 1996-97) but was unable to rebuild the team when he lost the core of the members in 1998.

Maybe Deans is a great coach but not the guy you really needed.

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
So do we all think that Deans never had a proper "game plan" while coaching the Crusaders as well or just while he has been coaching the Wallabies?

Oh Christ almighty don't get me started on this one... He never "made" the Crusaders they were fairly set already however he has taken to Australia's Rugby team with the attitude that he had to bring in the D9s smash it down and rebuild it... has not worked so far, done more damage than good. His constant blameing it on the boyz youth is just avoiding reality and condesending to any player.

I honestly think Deans is still IN LOVE with All Blacks rugby. It is too inground in his psyche.
The interview this week where he said that this is the greatest All Blacks team of ALL time nearly saw a solid object thrown at my TV.
How nice of him to talk up the All Blacks for his countrymen, #@!King Idiot!
He should be saying that about the Wallabies, but he can't, cause it just is not so.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think it is more about having Andrew Mehrtens and then Dan Carter.

You can look pretty good coaching with cattle like that.

The same with Link, he gets Cooper and Genia - and all of a sudden he is a super coach. When he had Lachlan MacKay, Sam Norton-Knight and a 17 yro Beale et al not so much

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)

THe latter. You've heard the interviews with people like Marshall questioning his actions since leaving and the lattitude he allows his players

Status
Not open for further replies.