• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 1 - Reds vs Sharks, Suncorp Stadium, Friday 24th February @ 8:00pm AEDT (7:00pm AEST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I thought Duncan Paia'aua was really good, very involved and worked well as a link with Quade and ran strongly. I thought both wings got involved a lot with strong running and their defence was good. Sharks defence was very strong, tough to penetrate - at the stadium it appeared, especially in the first half that the Reds were moving the ball a lot but not getting through - that intercept try to the Sharks was a shocker - I think that was the first time the Sharks had touched the ball just about - at the time I thought 'Oh no, here we go again'.
Really relieved to get the win, as others have said some strong contributions from new players - Rodda is a massive unit. George Smith had some very nice touches, good hands but was a target for the ref - not sure if he is used to playing with some different interpretations but he had a worrying run of penalties against him.
Our goal kicking almost cost us the game - 4 tries to 2 and we only just got there which will be worrying.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I was really impressed with Paia'aua last night as well. He did lots of good things.

Frisby had a shocker but he's a better player than that so he'll bounce back next week. He'll want to though because Tuttle is putting genuine pressure on that starting spot which is great for the team. Most of Frisby's errors were kicks where kicking wasn't the best option so that should be pretty easy to fix.

Quade needs to tone it down a bit. That backline has lots of threats and playmaking options wider out that he doesn't need to produce the miracle-balls to get things happening. Just controlling the game well and shifting play when he sees a numerical advantage or mismatch will be enough.

Reds backrow was great. I was particularly impressed with Higgers who I think was integral in lifting them in the second half and did well in the lineout which was being contested pretty hard.

Hunt was good. His trademark pace when hitting the line is really great. No fear and great commitment. That tackle is going to be a yellow all season though. Of course Mvovo is going to lower his body height into contact. Otherwise he gets bundled into touch. If you tackle that high expect to make contact with the head and go to the bin.

Good first up win for the Reds. The Sharks competed hard and did a reasonable job of converting their opportunities. Reds of the last couple of years would have lost that.

Perese looked great on the bench. Hair was immaculate ;)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
To my recollection, Cooper's problem wasn't his flamboyance. I think he was just trying to play too close to the line. After 3 years of our backline (including Cooper) playing way too deep I welcome the change of strategy - but he will keep getting picked off and we'll continue to have lots of dropped ball if some of those passes aren't thrown a touch earlier.

Still a long way to go, but we were a mile more threatening last night than we have been for a long time.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Frisby did not have the best game but before writing him off he finally gets to play in his position, behind a decent pack with decent players outside him.

He has been good for the Reds given how much he has been messed around by things out of his control.

His kicking was off tonight, but if it is not planned (the kick,not the result) then the coach should have hooked him early on. It has to be in the game plan.

If it is not a coaching decision then why isn't QC (Quade Cooper) asking for the ball at 10? If the backs dont want the ball are we expecting Frisby to pick and drive from the back of the ruck? If QC (Quade Cooper) is not calling and no forwards are around then what is he meant to do?

I thought the kick from the lineout was an interesting thing, the ref clearly told Moore to throw the ball from outside the quarter. Moor then stepped to the side to throw the ball. What should happen? Should Moore have been penalised (short arm??) for not throwing from the correct spot? If action was taken for him moving from the correct spot then Frisby would not have even had the chance to kick.

T

TOCC

I am continuing to hold my tongue about Nick Frisby after getting a mauling for expressing my opinions during the EOYT.

I'm assuming this is reference to my comment made during the EOYT, in which case it wasn't certainly a mauling, at the time you said you never criticised Frisby and I provided about 20 of your quotes where you had done just that.

T

TOCC

What was impressive is that the Reds didn't fall apart when they were down a player, they had 14 men on the field for 15mins of the second half.

They conceded a try when Douglas was off but there was some great defence that thwarted 2 line out maul attempts leading up to that.. and they also scored a try of their own..

Likewise when Karmichael went off, a couple of key plays from players secured turnover and brought the win home..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I can't like that post enough TOCC. I was disappointed with Douglas' lapse in discipline- but as a group to get over the line at the end was massive.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The touch judge indicated that he saw the ball grounded. The referee was also playing advantage for the maul being collapsed immediately prior. Listening to him in the rugby ears I got the impression he might have been going to go for a penalty try if the TMO saw anything that meant the try wasn't going to be awarded.

yep he apparently was so the try probably saved Simmons (I think) from getting binned for the collapse!
Gotta say I was a bit disappointed with the standard of the game, and didn't really think all the stay at home Reds fans? would of been saying hell i wish I was there watching this game. Still early days and a win is good way to start season.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
The short balls by Quade helps creates more options out wide. Forces the defence to straighten and stay on Quade. I really liked what I saw last night. Genuinely playing as a team and for each other. Like to see outside centre include more draw and pass. Tuttle was very good, Hunt excellent. Forwards well done.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Australians are always so strange after a good win.

I think the performance was a 6/10, but what I was impressed with is the Reds showed they have the pieces to have a good season.
  1. Their starting AND bench scrum had parity with a good South African scrum. Much to be said for this.
  2. Both wingers, who've had potential but have failed to deliver so far, looked really solid in contact and didn't embarrass themselves on D or under the high ball.
  3. Duncan P looked as good as people have been saying. A real distributing 12.
  4. Kerevi, without having too many 'how the fuck did he bosh that guy' highlight moments, still found 2 tries. He's developing some more nuance in his game, even if he should've released the wingers a couple of times.
  5. George Smith and Scott Higginbottam showed enough of their former selves to show that they can be impactful players.
  6. Korczyk and Rodda looked bloody promising. They showed the reason they were picked over others.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It is always a good sign when a team pulls a win out of an apparentl losing position.

Well done, Reds. Gutsed it out. Very impressed with a couple of the new forwards.

Not a bad side, the Sharks, a good first up win.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The Reds scored 4 tries to 2, with over twice as many line breaks and two yellow cards at the same time. How good.

Always going to be tough to beat a sharks outfit when Lambie is kicking well.

Also great to win first home game, I'd imagine that the crowd next time will be a fair sight better than last night's 15k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Ooestheizen cited for striking in the 9th min against Simmons..

Just reinforces their were a few yellow cards left on the field last night, Sharks extremely lucky to play 80 with 15 men.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Went to game - disappointing crowd numbers.

The win was great. Sure scrappy but I'll take the win.

My thoughts:
Negatives: Moore didn't show up last night, QC (Quade Cooper) was poor in first 20/30 but got better. Quade's kicking is terrible for a Super Rugby kicker. A lot has been said about Frisby and I agree with most it,
Ref was poor. I agree with the YC for Douglas but not for Hunt - and he didn't YC the Shark's player who attacked the head or the player who deliberately hit the ball down on our try line.
George seemed to cop the wrath of the Ref.

Positives:
Slipper was huge and Higgers, George and company were good.
Kerevi was heavily marked and contained well in general play. The bloke is unbelievable and unstoppable close to the line. Sef went really well at scrum time. Reserves were good. The team has plenty to work on and with.
Composure in the face of shitty Ref decisions was the key to the win.

The are only 2 blokes at risk of losing starting position status - Frisby and Moore.

Not only was I pleased with the win from the players and supporters perspectives but also for Nick Stiles in his first Super game as HC, He looked pretty animated behind the glass.

Well done all

T

TOCC

That YC for Hunt was in line with the new laws, the ref called it correctly....

That been said I don't agree with the new laws and thought the Sharks player should have also received one for their tackle on Kerevi.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
A lot of memberships came in this year but for the 3 game packs etc. expect to see better numbers then last year, but only at key games.

Hunt only deserves yellow if it's reckless accidental contact. The ref said it was a little reckless as he was using his arm quite hard. If the guy didn't duck, it would have been a text book tackle. Nothing reckless about it, just decisive.

Meaning....refs have to look more closely at what is considered accidental contact with the head, and accidental contact with the head through a reckless action.

If someone ducks, slips or sidesteps into what would by all measures be a textbook tackle, then that tackle shouldn't then be deemed reckless.

Hands Off Seven!

Bob McCowan (2)
A lot of Junior Rugby Clubs had first night training last night. Would have affected crowd numbers particularly with the earlyish start.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The key point about Rodda is that Brad Thorn is a big fan. He plays the Thorn game well. Really throws his body around (in a controlled manner). He was excellent (as all the bench were).

I'm a big fan of Lukhan Tui, and he throws his body around but he's still clearly learning the game and his game is more Impact than work rate. Stiles knows how he wants to finish the game so that's why he chose Rodda I expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.