• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 1 - Reds vs Sharks, Suncorp Stadium, Friday 24th February @ 8:00pm AEDT (7:00pm AEST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Good start for the Reds. Fitness, skills and defense look a lot better than last season. Some good impact from the young guys on the bench. George Smith looked great. Perese didn't get a run for some reason. Cooper and DP looked better as the game wore on. KHunt looking more like a rugby player after getting that AFL crap out of his system. Goal kicking gets a D minus, otherwise very solid start by the Reds.

Kuridrani was quiet and Nabuli really looked for work but didn't set the world on fire.

Get Perese on the field! Give him 10-20 per game and that'll be fantastic for his development.

Alternatively, sitting on a bench for 80 min a week and not playing any footy will completely stunt his development. A year in club land playing 80 min week in week out is much better than training with the Reds and riding the pine.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I am quite happy, scrappy performance but at least we can win ugly. This is a sign of a team with potential to do big things.

My min question is how huge is Rodda? He looks massive!

We are on top of the conference!!!!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
First half terrible - second half improvement and gutsy with the yellow cards.

Liked Higgers, Pereze, Smith, Hunt, Tuttle (because Frisby was so shite), Quade for second half (the passing game he offers is the wow factor we all know and showed with deft passes in second half), Rodda (a beast - Thorn is right to have raps on the kid), Hunt (might get a wallaby gig if can keep doing what he did tonight which I would be happy with as more ex league players do well the better as lots of talented league athletes worth poaching and they see other brothers doing well will only encourage to make the switch) and Slipper (thought his performance pretty solid as well as his captaincy). Bench for Reds really provided the difference for this game when they came on.

The concerns: Wings - really best you can do....Frisby...enough said....and who was playing 6 for first half as I did not notice........

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Is the second rower for the Sharks wearing a santa hat

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Had the same thought. Seriously thought he was!

Decent performance by the Reds overall I thought. Sharks played well and it could have gone either way. Lots of high shots missed and for Hunt to get carded when he did was pretty bad luck. I thought it was clearly accidental and started low (shoulder level) before sliding up so according to the new laws that should just be a penalty, according to the interp posted on the blog.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Very calm views so far Reds boys... If Reds had lost that on a dodgy yellow on a duck and a yellow on Kane v s non yellow on Sharks. ??????Sorry forgot about the "I have no idea but I'll say try and go upstairs" no evidence so we go with ref who had no idea??? Pretty happy to see cuddly Koalas back but after Rebels and Reds it seems that we're getting nothing from refs this year.0:}

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
The reds look fantastic going forward, and fairly solid in defence and set piece. I'll admit being skeptical but George Smith killed it. What an absolute fucking legend. 36!

If they cut out the stupid shit, like the 15+ box kicks and yellow cards, they'll be great this season.

Reactions: BDA

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Very calm views so far Reds boys. If Reds had lost that on a dodgy yellow on a duck and a yellow on Kane v s non yellow on Sharks. ??????Sorry forgot about the "I have no idea but I'll say try and go upstairs" no evidence so we go with ref who had no idea??? Pretty happy to see cuddly Koalas back but after Rebels and Reds it seems that we're getting nothing from refs this year.0:}
To be fair, they did explain that his confusion arose out of a new rule where he has to determine whether the onfield decision is try or no try first. He was obviously trying to figure out who gets the benefit of the doubt in a rolling maul. I wouldn't have known straight away either.

T

TOCC

Must admit, at 60mims I had an ominous feeling like "seen this all before" after the Reds squandered similar opportunities in 2016, so it was great to see them come home strong.

Ref decisions were a bit annoying at times, but I think the right team won in the end..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I am quite happy, scrappy performance but at least we can win ugly.

The reasons why we were playing ugly are pretty alarming though. Lots to be worked on and not much time to do it if we're serious about making a run on the top spot in the conference.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Korcyzk played 6 the whole game, I thought he was quite good, complemented Higgers and Smith well

Thanks might may have just missed his contribution....as at same time did not notice him for bad things which can be equally a positive. Frisby....though..gees Tuttle must be a chance of starting at some stage.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Did I miss his 10 minutes of magic or am I confusing him with someone else..

Or did I just misspell his name by not adding a z.
Probably but hey out of squads of say 40 for each super rugby franchise I can't remember exact spelling of everyone's name and can't be bothered googling for something which is a pastime (posting on sites like this)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The reasons why we were playing ugly are pretty alarming though. Lots to be worked on and not much time to do it if we're serious about making a run on the top spot in the conference.
I dunno. First game of the season. High humidity. Pretty solid defence.

Cohesion will improve.

Before the game I'm was pretty sure most people said they would be happy if we won be 1 point. We won by 2 - everyone should be ecstatic. :)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Or did I just misspell his name by not adding a z.
Probably but hey out of squads of say 40 for each super rugby franchise I can't remember exact spelling of everyone's name and can't be bothered googling for something which is a pastime (posting on sites like this)
No - I don't care if you misspelled his name. Do you mean Isaiah Perese? The outside back.

Maybe I am wrong, but I didn't think he made it on and I am pretty sure the commentators said the same.

Hands Off Seven!

Bob McCowan (2)
I've never rated Frisby, he's one of the dumbest footballers I've ever seen. The Reds won't make the finals if he continues to start. Tuttle can kick too.

Some great individual performances tonight. That backline is going to put 40 points on someone this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.