• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 13!!!!!, Crusaders v Waratahs

Status
Not open for further replies.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
The soles of his boots are pointing to the sky and his shoulder is less than 10 centimetres from the ground. I'm trying to think of different possiblities for what happened next, but I can only think of one. i.e. his shoulder strikes the ground. IF that is what happened then it is an automatic red card.

His elbow strikes the ground first. It's quite clear when the gif ends just before that happens. As with many of these 'tip' tackles, there was nothing wrong with it. Moody's incident is obviously different.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
His elbow strikes the ground first. It's quite clear when the gif ends just before that happens. As with many of these 'tip' tackles, there was nothing wrong with it.

Right up until your dislocate your shoulder from being dropped on your elbow.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
You claim there is nothing wrong with that tackle because his elbow was hitting the ground.
When I pointed out the dislocation option, as a way of approaching the stupidity of your comment, you jump to breaking necks in scrums.
Nothing alike. Maybe "straw man" is a better description.

Regardless, the fact that his elbow touches the ground first in no way invalidates the danger of the tip tackle. The real question behind the shoulder/head hitting the ground first is the level of sanction applies due to the level of risk.

We are left with two options:

1) Either your sarcasm is at levels that are difficult to correctly interpret.
OR
2) Saying "there was nothing wrong with [that tackle]" is the remark of a cretin.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
His elbow strikes the ground first. It's quite clear when the gif ends just before that happens. As with many of these 'tip' tackles, there was nothing wrong with it. Moody's incident is obviously different.

Law 10.4(j) reads: Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player’s feet are still off the ground such that the player’s head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play.
A directive was issued to all Unions and Match Officials in 2009 emphasizing the IRB’s zero-tolerance stance towards dangerous tackles and reiterating the following instructions for referees:
- The player is lifted and then forced or ‘speared’ into the ground (red card offence)
- The lifted player is dropped to the ground from a height with no regard to the player’s safety (red card offence)
- For all other types of dangerous lifting tackles a yellow card or penalty may be considered sufficient
https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2016/02/10/irb-issues-statement-on-tip-or-spear-tackle

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

In fact, looks quite similar to this tackle which was (rightly) red-carded.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Law 10.4(j) reads: Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player’s feet are still off the ground such that the player’s head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play.
A directive was issued to all Unions and Match Officials in 2009 emphasizing the IRB’s zero-tolerance stance towards dangerous tackles and reiterating the following instructions for referees:
- The player is lifted and then forced or ‘speared’ into the ground (red card offence)
- The lifted player is dropped to the ground from a height with no regard to the player’s safety (red card offence)
- For all other types of dangerous lifting tackles a yellow card or penalty may be considered sufficient
https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2016/02/10/irb-issues-statement-on-tip-or-spear-tackle

Indeed. It matters not a whit if one of us thinks the tackle is "OK". World Rugby has a set of laws, and lifting tackles has been an area of close scrutiny over the past couple of seasons, and tackles such as that have been pretty much always penalised, frequently yellow carded and occasionally red carded, as per the above c/- Quick Hands. The fact that none of these were applied, nor was any thought of even reviewing it contemplated is really an outlier if we looked at a distribution curve.
But hey, I'm a fucking idiot.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Hmm, well, fucking idiot, eh? Maybe "fucking" re-think your wording then (since this is how you want to communicate). Your post certainly implied that. Seemingly to more people than just me.

Well I repeat Cyclo, here is my post, now if you can tell me how I was in anyway saying the tackle or anything to do with was ok, or can be construed as OK, by all means point it out, I was merely commenting on the fact that the GIF shown was not complete, and if we had seen it all perhaps we could of all known exactly how it ended up. I think if you go back over my posts I make a point of trying to never say the ref is right or wrong , and was neither defending the rights or wrong of this tackle, just the idea of posting gifs that show only the part of a tackle the the poster wanted us to see! Do you think showing just partial videos is a good idea? If so well you did say......

Dan54Greg Davis (50)
2,723 This is the post where I supposedly defended or whatever the tackle

Yep that is what you call showing people what you want them to see and not everything Derpus. Lol you could get some great outcomes if they only showed partial videos couldn't they?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
File Size limit?
When I cast my mind back to the shit heaped on Cooper for his run ins with the goat and the behaviour of the kiwis over harmless - but certainly disrespectful conduct - I am struck by the double standard. That double standard applies over decades.
When all is said and done no one was injured or even risked being injured in the underarm incident and yet it remains a barb in the nz quiver of whinges against us.
I thought you didn’t subscribe to this version of NZ history from your reasonable posts.

IS, so once again what has this got to do with my post about seeing the whole shot. And as most people that read my posts know I don't and have never posted on Cooper's supposed run ins, underarm bowl (but unlike many that post on it, I was actually watching that game on TV at night in NZ, as kiwis as a rule in those days didn't watch cricket, lol and never knew anything was wrong with it). My only concern is that we don't start looking at bits of videos and or photos to prove points for or against anyone, as I doubt that will do anyone any good at all.
I would also like to point out I was almost hoping for a Tahs victory on Saturday, for 2 reasons
1 it made it almost certain the mighty Canes would be top qualifier
2 I am absolutely sick of hearing about the 38-39 whatever it fucken is streak! It is doing absolutely no good for anyone, including NZ!!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS, so once again what has this got to do with my post about seeing the whole shot. And as most people that read my posts know I don't and have never posted on Cooper's supposed run ins, underarm bowl (but unlike many that post on it, I was actually watching that game on TV at night in NZ, as kiwis as a rule in those days didn't watch cricket, lol and never knew anything was wrong with it). My only concern is that we don't start looking at bits of videos and or photos to prove points for or against anyone, as I doubt that will do anyone any good at all.
I would also like to point out I was almost hoping for a Tahs victory on Saturday, for 2 reasons
1 it made it almost certain the mighty Canes would be top qualifier
2 I am absolutely sick of hearing about the 38-39 whatever it fucken is streak! It is doing absolutely no good for anyone, including NZ!!
I’d like to think I played a small part in you resuming normal transmission.
I love the streak but I’m an anarchist.
It’s objective proof of where we’re at and the media’s love of it makes the leaners at RA confront the issue on a weekly basis. If it goes on long enough change migh come.
Edit: the lack of discussion of real change by Raelene on Kick & chasevmeans it hasn’t yet gone on long enough.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It’s objective proof of where we’re at and the media’s love of it makes the leaners at RA confront the issue on a weekly basis. If it goes on long enough change migh come.
Edit: the lack of discussion of real change by Raelene on Kick & chasevmeans it hasn’t yet gone on long enough.

Its weird, quite frankly.

Most of the time when a new Manager/CEO comes into a place, they start by going "WHAT THE EVER-LOVING FUCK IS THIS SHIT?" and making a big noise about changes.

Now, I understand we can't spook the sponsors, but as Jamie's article states: the stakeholders are the fans, and we're not happy.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Whilst his upper body looked like it was going to land more or less horizontally his legs were sky high and it's therefore still a tip tackle.

It's usually a more severe punishment when you drop them on their head is all. That's why i said it would be useful to see the gif until the end. It is unequivocally still illegal.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Whoa hold on. Are some people suggesting TWO crusaders players should’ve been cited from one game!?!
I’d respectfully suggest that would pose more of a risk of the universe imploding itself back to a singularity than anything anyone at CERN could do.
Seriously though didn’t digby get 5 wks for a tackle very much like that (when his uniform was all red mind you). What if diggers was still a crusader and committed that tackle. I know kiwis will scream confirmation bias but it really is starting to get a bit old hat.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Its weird, quite frankly.

Most of the time when a new Manager/CEO comes into a place, they start by going "WHAT THE EVER-LOVING FUCK IS THIS SHIT?" and making a big noise about changes.

Now, I understand we can't spook the sponsors, but as Jamie's article states: the stakeholders are the fans, and we're not happy.
One of my criticisms of BP was that he had a 'clip the ticket' mentality.Didnt want to rock the boat,happy with the status quo,as fucked as it was.
whereas Raelene reminds me of my mates U14 H coach, a young female music teacher,who used to bake lamingtons as a bit of comfort food for the troops at 1/2 time. Just no understanding of the subject matter.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
One of my criticisms of BP was that he had a 'clip the ticket' mentality.Didnt want to rock the boat,happy with the status quo,as fucked as it was.
whereas Raelene reminds me of my mates U14 H coach, a young female music teacher,who used to bake lamingtons as a bit of comfort food for the troops at 1/2 time. Just no understanding of the subject matter.
Clip the ticket attitude pretty much sums up Australia. Clip the ticket and seek the rent.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Her accent makes her almost undecipherable to me. Glad you blokes can follow what she's saying.

I gather I'm not missing much though.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Her accent makes her almost undecipherable to me. Glad you blokes can follow what she's saying.

I gather I'm not missing much though.

Every time Raelene speaks it is a stark reminder of the hopelessness of the Board of the ARU. Her broad Kiwi accent says "there are no clever Australians who can lead Australian rugby".
She is no doubt a competent manager of existing operations, but I have seen nothing from her like the depth of analysis shown by Alan Jones' 10-point plan nor GAGR's own Jamie Miller.

Status
Not open for further replies.