• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 3: Brumbies vs Force - GIO Stadium, 10 March @ 7:45pm AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Congrats to the Brums.

Game was there to be won by the Force. Big fuckup by Mozza - 7 pointer down the drain.

Brumbies scrum so dominant and I thought they may have used that to greater advantage.

Anyway, on the board now

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I don't have a problem with the rolling maul per se, just the reffing of the way it is prevented.

It seems to me to be a real lottery, did a player pull it down or was he forced to the ground by the momentum of the maul, did a player enter from the side or did he enter from the gate but the point of the maul was revolving, when it goes down, probably pulled down but the ref couldn't see who or how, is it a penalty? Likewise the attacking team, did the front man take the ball in and transfer it back, or was there a blocker in front?

The problem is, this is often hard to determine from slo-mo replays and many angles, how do you ref it? The outcome means the penalty situation becomes a real lottery, possibly fair, possibly not.

Sorry, I'm not offering a solution, only the problem!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I thought last nights game was enjoyable game to watch as was a good contest and some good rugby on show. I use to find Force games a bit dull and dour to watch under Foley (as Force always good in defence but in attack very uninspiring). Not sure how much due to change in coach or change in cattle. But Force could be biggest improvers if can avoid injuries and stick with it.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
I dont understand why anyone's having a go at the Brumbies rolling maul. We literally scored a try from one last night, and if it was a dominant part of our game, id be asking for it every time we get the opportunity.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't have a problem with the rolling maul per se, just the reffing of the way it is prevented.

To me the rolling maul is a form of obstruction but one that should be allowed PROVIDED the defending team is allowed to bring it to ground by tackling the ball carrier above the knees & having got to him by working their way through the maul not "swimming" around the side.

I don't know if it was ever used here in Straya but some years ago this was an ELV at what is now M10 Cup level in NZ & it worked so I've no idea why it was canned.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yeah it is, but I think your South African coach will be more disappointed at your teams performance than us having a Kiwi 10. Another familiar display of being dumb ( by the team that is :rolleyes: ). I have to say your Saffa scrumhalf, and your reserve Kiwi scrumhalf look pretty good btw.

After 20 years in competition, remind me how many Canberra products are playing for the Brumbies.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
After 20 years in competition, remind me how many Canberra products are playing for the Brumbies.

you've been in the competition for 12 years, remind me again how many titles and finals you have ? By that time we'd won 2 and been in 5.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm concerned that the team which is coached by australias greatest attacking mind, and new full time wallabies attack coach, signature move ....is a rolling maul.

There are 8 canberra products playing for the brumbies. 12 western australians playing for force. Then jooste and godwin of course.

The brumbies have been a special team and have produced some special players in the past, but there is nothing special about the ACT as a key area of future rugby development importance.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
There are 8 canberra products playing for the brumbies. 12 western australians playing for force. Then jooste and godwin of course.

The brumbies have been a special team and have produced some special players in the past, but there is nothing special about the ACT as a key area of future rugby development importance.

Based on what?
Same backwards thinking was there in 1996 when the whole show kicked off.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
based on 8 players in the entire squad?

Nothing backwards about thinking forwards. One of the key defences of the Brumbies remaining is their history of success, and whilst impressive, using historical data is literally backwards thinking.

But it's just how I measure key areas of future rugby development. My mind is on long term growth potential to contribute players and a viewer market.

I love the brumbies, some of my favourite players have played for them and wouldn't have got a chance without them.

If it was 3/4 or even half the squad that were ACT products, one could argue that yes, after 20 years establishing itself in world rugby, being the home of some of our greatest players, the region is doing it's part to produce players..but 8?, that surprised me a little. but whilst the team has been historically successful, the region hasn't, at least in more recent years.

The force havn't been successful, but I believe showing signs that there is value in having a team based there - 12 homegrown in the squad and at least 1 homegrown key wallaby (DHP). Not much, but it's a region that is showing signs of growth or at least the potential for it.

In my opinion - unfortunately, the ACT don't really have a capacity to achieve a great deal more growth.

Anyway - my vote is no team goes. I just think the Force deserve applause for fielding almost as many home grown players and wallabies as the brumbies and rebels combined.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anyways, the game..........

It's good to see Speight getting back to scoring tries......... he's had a rough couple of years with injuries and form, so hopefully we'll see more of the Henry of old.

And Hawera's footwork really makes up for his lack of physicality........ he's performing better than I expected, but kicking still needs a lot of work - but he's not the only one this applies to.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
based on 8 players in the entire squad?

Nothing backwards about thinking forwards. One of the key defences of the Brumbies remaining is their history of success, and whilst impressive, using historical data is literally backwards thinking.

But it's just how I measure key areas of future rugby development. My mind is on long term growth potential to contribute players and a viewer market.

I love the brumbies, some of my favourite players have played for them and wouldn't have got a chance without them.

If it was 3/4 or even half the squad that were ACT products, one could argue that yes, after 20 years establishing itself in world rugby, being the home of some of our greatest players, the region is doing it's part to produce players..but 8?, that surprised me a little. but whilst the team has been historically successful, the region hasn't, at least in more recent years.

The force havn't been successful, but I believe showing signs that there is value in having a team based there - 12 homegrown in the squad and at least 1 homegrown key wallaby (DHP). Not much, but it's a region that is showing signs of growth or at least the potential for it.

In my opinion - unfortunately, the ACT don't really have a capacity to achieve a great deal more growth.

Anyway - my vote is no team goes. I just think the Force deserve applause for fielding almost as many home grown players and wallabies as the brumbies and rebels combined.

What utter nonsense... IS this thinking popular in QLD if so why have the Reds signed G.Smith, Moore and Cooper!!! Why did they loose so many to other states?

Brumbies have shaped Wallabies for 20 years, your high school post code location doesn't make a professional player... I think the brumbies will over achieve the Reds this year easily... Force have signed locals as they failed to attract many other players...

N

NTT

Bugger, Fuck, Shit. Cost ourselves that one with some panic moments and a poor yellow card. Early attack looked shit hot, should've been up 14 nil after 10 minutes. Peni's no try could've gone either way in a different game, then Morahans last past was toilet, but both moves were well set up. Then we lost of bit of composure and let the Brumbies back into it. Not the most spectacular play ive ever seen the Brumbies play but it was clinical enough to score their tries. The try to Tessman before halftime was pleasing as that sort of pressure opportunity is one we have made a habit of botching in previous years.
Again the start to the second half was looking shit hot with the reward coming for Peni outward. Then we allowed ourselves to be ground down by a forward orientated Brumbies side as the game got a bit bogged down by Force discipline issues. Ultimately the message was not heeded as a late shoulder was duly punished with a yellow card. Another silly penalty by the other Haylett-Petty brother, this time Dane for hands in a counter ruck, allowed the Brumbies to camp inside our 22, earn another scrum penalty and get the opportunity to setup a 15 man maul for the decisive strike. Game over Brumbies win.
Our scrum 1st half was smashed, lineout was better. The thing that cost us most was our inability to ride out some tough periods, instead we gave up some soft penalties and territory at crucial moments to let the Brumbies do their maul thing.
Overall it was a good game of rugby, not the 50 all 20 try thriller some people expect, with a lot more positive intent than we are used to seeing recently in Aussie Derby matches.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
How do you get 10? I count 8 (based on the team list on the wikipedia page):
- Saia Fainga'a
- Anthony Fainga'a
- Joe Powell
- Tom Staniforth
- Les Makin
- Tom Cusack
- JJH
- Ryan Lonergan

you've been in the competition for 12 years, remind me again how many titles and finals you have ? By that time we'd won 2 and been in 5.
The same amount of titles you have won in the last 12 years.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How do you get 10? I count 8 (based on the team list on the wikipedia page):
- Saia Fainga'a
- Anthony Fainga'a
- Joe Powell
- Tom Staniforth
- Les Makin
- Tom Cusack
- JJH
- Ryan Lonergan

You've left out Abel and Sione..........

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Some posts have/will be deleted under rules 6 & 10 at this rate.

If you don't know what they are, then I suggest reminding yourself or you could end up like Ross Haylett-Petty and having a stint on the sideline.

Status
Not open for further replies.