• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 3: Reds vs Chiefs, 6:45pm AEST - Saturday 9th of March @ Suncorp

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Great win. I think also its plain to see that the Reds could have been a lot better, too (good thing IMO). The charged down kicks, that restart Wilson left and the general handling all cut any momentum they tried to build in the second half.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Massive difference between how the Reds and Tahs finish their games this weekend. One all over their Kiwi opposition (how good was the scrum) the other no idea how to round the game out, I know it’s only early in the season but impressed what Les Kiss and coaching team is bringing to to the group.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Massive difference between how the Reds and Tahs finish their games this weekend. One all over their Kiwi opposition (how good was the scrum) the other no idea how to round the game out, I know it’s only early in the season but impressed what Les Kiss and coaching team is bringing to to the group.
Calm down. Tahs should have won their game as well - Edmed shouldn't be missing kicks like that.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Really enjoyed this game. Well done Reds. You've had some lovely attack for awhile, but the defensive effort and detail in the breakdown is starting to look really good. I'm even loving seeing an AU team push what they can get away with at the breakdown in the same way that the Kiwi teams have been for a longtime.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Question about the chiefs first try being disallowed. That action happens at many rucks during a game. Why don't they call it accidental offside then ?

Red Twist

Allen Oxlade (6)
So great being here live for that one. I felt that familiar creeping terror of the late, heartbreaking loss to a Kiwi team that Australian rugby fans know so well, but so proud of how we hung tough. Can’t wait to watch the replay!

Also great hearing how vocal the fans were, particularly that mega roar at the end. Go Reds! Go rugby!
I was sitting in the corner with all the half time kids teams. They were so into it and cheering their lungs out. So great for the country kids and smaller outer western suburbs clubs kids to experience that game with passion.
They managed to drown out the Kiwis Chiefs chant by countering with Reds Reds Reds. This doesn't occur often.
Definitely feeling like something special is building.

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
First time I've been able to cheer for Qld for a while. Last couple have seasons its been impossible to deal with the chips on the players' shoulders and the delusion of their fan base. They're actually starting to live up to the hype though which is awesome for Aus rugby.

Superb effort to recover from a very physical game last week and knock over a top NZ side. Looks like Kiss has added some polish to the attitude/mindset of Thorn's team. They have improvement in them too. Great win.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You know as I was lying in bed last night and kind of thinking of the game, I did think how good iy was. Some might say the Chiefs seemed a bit clunky, and maybe were, but that was because the Reds forced them to look that way. It was a very good performance, and add to that was pleased to see on kiwi rugby forum that in general there was happiness that Aus teams seem to be able to beat our teams, no games are really guaranteed .
I would add. first time I have seen that young 10 who came on for Reds, he looked to be ok. I do enjoy watching good rugby, and that was a good game.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Before the season a lot of us said the big question would be what Kiss and his team brought from a coaching perspective. From my observations on last nights game -
- set piece is a cornerstone and it was very solid last night. Lineout has been good all year (the difference of having 2 hookers that hit their mark) and the scrum improving. I thought that was Nonggorr’s best game of the year so far and even before Toomaga-Allen came on I thought our scrum looked good)
- kick & kick chase strategy is good
- breakdown work has really improved over the last 3 weeks. Very loose against the Tahs. Very good last night in terms of both accuracy and urgency
- across the more established players like Wilson, McReight, McDermott, Smith - you can see improvement in their game

I think this is important as it builds a foundation for consistency.

The other thing is we are seeing the benefits of depth (and, it must be said, a relatively low injury toll at the moment) - Paisami goes out, Henry comes in and was very good last night. Hodgman goes out, Toomaga-Allen comes in and is instrumental in getting us home. Blyth so far unsighted this year in Super but Cormac Daly putting in good shifts.

The boys will be very tired and sore this week. That game was torrid. But 2-1 start with a win v The Chiefs and NSW, and the way they are playing (with still plenty of improvement in terms of execution in attack) that’s a good start to the year.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The real test is when we get a formidable opponent on the road. Reds might be favoured on Friday night but I suspect they’ll lose to the Rebels.

if we can get that win against Melbourne then our other tough opponents outside of Oz will be Drua in Fiji and crusaders in christchurch

I don’t want to get ahead of myself but the schedule is really good considering how many kiwi opponents we play at Suncorp

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Always funny reading a match thread the day after. You would have sworn the Reds were getting smashed by 30 until full time when it switches to how good they are.
I mean again, it is a testament to Kiss and his staff. Given Grealy isn’t a winger, Vunivalu a waste of space, Wilson a dipshit and Lynagh can’t pass it’s astounding we were in the game at all. Coaches really having to earn their keep.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Before the season a lot of us said the big question would be what Kiss and his team brought from a coaching perspective. From my observations on last nights game -
- set piece is a cornerstone and it was very solid last night. Lineout has been good all year (the difference of having 2 hookers that hit their mark) and the scrum improving. I thought that was Nonggorr’s best game of the year so far and even before Toomaga-Allen came on I thought our scrum looked good)
- kick & kick chase strategy is good
- breakdown work has really improved over the last 3 weeks. Very loose against the Tahs. Very good last night in terms of both accuracy and urgency
- across the more established players like Wilson, McReight, McDermott, Smith - you can see improvement in their game

I think this is important as it builds a foundation for consistency.

The other thing is we are seeing the benefits of depth (and, it must be said, a relatively low injury toll at the moment) - Paisami goes out, Henry comes in and was very good last night. Hodgman goes out, Toomaga-Allen comes in and is instrumental in getting us home. Blyth so far unsighted this year in Super but Cormac Daly putting in good shifts.

The boys will be very tired and sore this week. That game was torrid. But 2-1 start with a win v The Chiefs and NSW, and the way they are playing (with still plenty of improvement in terms of execution in attack) that’s a good start to the year.
The amount of blood spilt in 3 weeks shows the Reds are committed and putting their bodies on the line. To keep the Chiefs under 20 points is testament to scramble and physical commitment to D. They’re not intimidated but hopefully they get players back and others are fit for the Rebels game.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Always funny reading a match thread the day after. You would have sworn the Reds were getting smashed by 30 until full time when it switches to how good they are.

Second half territory was 77% Chiefs. Even with 50% Possession, not getting out of your own half with the ball AND the opposition pretty much having all the action with the ball - it's going to have an impact on the posts.

That said, The Reds completely deserved the win and the performance compared to the Chiefs was nothing like the nature of the comments suggest.