• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 3: Reds vs Chiefs, 6:45pm AEST - Saturday 9th of March @ Suncorp

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
One thing I have noticed in not just this game, but nearly any close game is attacking team ruck management is a mess.

Have a look during those final phases and watch the chiefs players fly in off their feet to secure the ball. McReight had two great chances early in the phase set which were stopped by chiefs players sealing off rather than clearing through the ruck.

You see that penalty called a fair bit during a game but rarely at the death. Makes the task a lot harder for the defending side.

Last edited:

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from last night

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Some slightly more detailed thoughts from the ground then my offering last night:

-This is one of the best match ups in modern super rugby. Something about this two teams produces tight but entertaining contests. A bit like the old "styles make the fight" saying for boxing
-Back row were brilliant again, this trio has really come into it's own
-Vunivalu cops a lot of flack and while he still I had his issues last night I thought he played a great game overall
-Campbell at the back just makes sense. Everything seems to function that bit better
-Along with Liam Wright, Ryan Smith is the glue in this pack. He gets through an absolute mountain of hard graft. Really seems to have cut the brain explosions out of his game too
-Fa'agase looked to be having another really good outing, hope he pulls up ok and isn't out for too long
-Absolutely loved Toomaga-Allen off the bench. Played so well and brought such great energy both to the game and to the crowd afterwards
-Not sure how well the Welsh announcement hit initially, but a lot of people were talking about it a full time. Perks of following it up with a win I guess.

On that crowd, I haven't seen the official numbers published yet but my (admittedly hazy) memory from what they put on the big screen was around 17,600 (maybe 16,700?). Given the previous home games crowd was already bigger than any last season it's great to see that growth of a few thousand. Definitely felt like a louder and more engaged crowd out there too. Initial I thought that might have been due to the good Chiefs contingent that always shows up, but by the end of the match it was clear the crowd was there for the Reds.

Brumbies for the next home game should draw another good crowd, particularly with the contests over the past few years, though I think it is on over the Easter weekend which might put a bit of downward pressure on those numbers.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Some observations after watching the game and now looking at the espn stats:

Our "lightwieght" locks get through a huge amount of work: Smith topped the tackle count and m run in the tight 5 with Uru topping distance made in tight across the tight 5 with 21m. With his time on the field Toomaga-Allen defensive rate was slightly higher than Smith.

The defence was not that much more (numerically anyway) than the Chiefs with 166 (successful) to 141. We were simply battering at them and then matching their attack. Given they had over 60% of the territory, and plenty of possession you'd think that the opportunity went the Chiefs way. How did we hold possession - excellent performance in the set piece as a given, but importantly the Chiefs were twice our penalties. Think about that compared to recent years. 5 penalties against the Reds, 10 against the Chiefs.

I'm thinking that the Chiefs were winning the tactical kicking scenario.

Looking at the halves, I'm always interested in active they are on the stats. Ratima (Chief 9) with an incredible 64 passes. Wow. So how did Tate match up? 87 passes!! More than one per minute o_O. I thought toward the end that some of Tate's passes were getting a little low, but you know, shit. :rolleyes: And the 10s? "Masterclass" McKenzie surely humliated the youngster Lynagh, surely. Nope, Tom with 24.

Now fair enough to McKenzie who does not defend the 10 channel for reasons nothing to do with ability or interest, just because of his ability at the back - add 108 m run to his credentials. Here I am going to compare to our back 3: Vunivalu 110m; Grealy 73m; Campbell 111m. Comparison, Ioane (FB but not for returns) 1m; Stevenson 52m; McKenzie 108m. I don't know, the Chiefs aren't blowing me away here.

Someone else can take a peak at the insane performance of our loose three, and the extroardinary front row. Faessler and the locks (and lifters) in the line out. And our centers.

But that was one hell of a game.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Photos from last night
1710025387119.png

There we go, I knew it was either 16.7k or 17.7k.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Great summaries Wilson & Dru.

The discipline is an intersting one. One criticism I read a few times about Les Kiss was that London Irish under his coaching had poor discipline. So far so good on that count.

Also, while I think it is very clear the polish and strategic nous Kiss has brought in, I also think there were big elements of Thorn’s coaching in last nights win. The doggedness and turning up. But Kiss has taken that up a notch (I took note that Nonggorr mentioned in his side line interview wanting to increase his work rate and ‘be useful’ - so the mantra is catching on at least)

Two other points -
- personally I think the Qld v Wales announcement is terrific. Winds back the clock to those days when touring teams would always have a game or two against the State teams
- personally looking forward to the Easter weekend game as it will give me a chance to get along and watch

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Vunivalu cops a lot of flack and while he still I had his issues last night I thought he played a great game overal

I didn't really have an issue with Vunivalu at all last night. He made some great runs, his cross kick was probably the right decision. He and Henry were isolated, to the Chiefs were either going to get the ball or a penalty there.

His charge down should be more on I think Lynagh, Tate, Henry and Jock. Ie why was Suni in a position to kick it rather than one of those?

The end of that game felt like winning a final in the crowd.

For me, the biggest take away is how precise the Reds have been at the ruck. Whoever is looking after that would be better placed to give the Wallabies the "clarity" they need for clearing out.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Some slightly more detailed thoughts from the ground then my offering last night:

-This is one of the best match ups in modern super rugby. Something about this two teams produces tight but entertaining contests. A bit like the old "styles make the fight" saying for boxing
-Back row were brilliant again, this trio has really come into it's own
-Vunivalu cops a lot of flack and while he still I had his issues last night I thought he played a great game overall
-Campbell at the back just makes sense. Everything seems to function that bit better
-Along with Liam Wright, Ryan Smith is the glue in this pack. He gets through an absolute mountain of hard graft. Really seems to have cut the brain explosions out of his game too
-Fa'agase looked to be having another really good outing, hope he pulls up ok and isn't out for too long
-Absolutely loved Toomaga-Allen off the bench. Played so well and brought such great energy both to the game and to the crowd afterwards
-Not sure how well the Welsh announcement hit initially, but a lot of people were talking about it a full time. Perks of following it up with a win I guess.

On that crowd, I haven't seen the official numbers published yet but my (admittedly hazy) memory from what they put on the big screen was around 17,600 (maybe 16,700?). Given the previous home games crowd was already bigger than any last season it's great to see that growth of a few thousand. Definitely felt like a louder and more engaged crowd out there too. Initial I thought that might have been due to the good Chiefs contingent that always shows up, but by the end of the match it was clear the crowd was there for the Reds.

Brumbies for the next home game should draw another good crowd, particularly with the contests over the past few years, though I think it is on over the Easter weekend which might put a bit of downward pressure on those numbers.
Agree re your comment about Jock, I feel much more comfortable when he is there. I think he plays fullback or put him on the bench. He simply is not a winger. Jordan should come back on the wing.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Great win for the Reds, gutsy as hell, especially in those last few minutes camped on their own line. It's the kind of game that builds belief in the squad.

They looked knackered in the last 10-15 minutes, when passes weren't going to hand, the pack started walking between phases and dropping off tackles. Several times I thought the Chiefs would roll over them, but the Reds boys stuck fat and kept defending. They've come a long way and hopefully they kick on from here.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
A bloody good defence by Reds with a lot of physicality. Usually this kind of tricky games are win by the Kiwis, whatever it takes

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Was stated to be 16,500ish at the game - there were a lot of chiefs fans there though.

Was proud of how our fans responded at the end - they tried to get the "chiefs" chant going & it was drowned out by "we are red"
The 'we are red' chant has to be one of the worst, most cringe chants in the history of sports teams - but fuck it's so, so good when it's humming in a tight match.