• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 3: Reds vs Chiefs, 6:45pm AEST - Saturday 9th of March @ Suncorp

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I really like rugbypass' match detail and their stats visualization paints a pretty clear picture of where we won here.

On Attack:
Screenshot 2024-03-10 144756.png
Very close here with two obvious differences post contact metres and red zone conversions. The conversion rate was as much a function of as the rest of the stats as anything else, but the Reds making ~1.7x as many post contact metres (260m vs 151m) demonstrates how well we were dominating the collision and how were were able to stretch the Chiefs. No surprise we ended up with more linebreaks in this game then the other 2 games this season combined - 5 vs 4.

On Defence:
Screenshot 2024-03-10 144810.png
Similar story on defence with very close statistics over the 80, except for our ability to get the turnover. McReight getting over the ball for us was a big part of that, but the fact that the Chiefs couldn't get the similar reward probably speaks to those post contact metres we were picking up on attack and our ability to win the contact.

The Ruck:
1710046185902.png
Finally the pace we were able to get on our own ruck while denying the Chiefs the same was excellent. Smallish margins here, but much of success in desperate defence on or near our line was possible because the Chiefs couldn't maintain quick ball.

The one other key piece not captured here is probably the kicking game. It's a big part of how we beat them last year and it was key again last night. The Chiefs are very good at winning kicking duals with a 10 and back 3 that can out kick most opposition while also punishing them when running the ball back. It's a key pillar of how they build pressure, pinning teams back and waiting for counter attack opportunities to pounce on against broken (and bored) defence. Nullifying that with smart kicking, effective exits and some excellent returns of our own forced the Chiefs out of the style they're comfortable with, even when they still had the bulk of the territory.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Why don’t we chant Queensland Red instead of We are Red? Not as cringy and has the same rhythm of ‘Queenslander’ that is successful for the QRL SOO team.
My memory is that it started in the halcyon Link days with the ground announcer leading it. I don't mind it, at least it is something we can all chant together. Too late now but looking back there was an opportunity for the marketing department and announcer to come up with something better given it will continue to live on forever.

At least we don't have those people in player themed mascot costumes anymore on the sidelines...that was a little cringe. Just keep the mascot to Rusty.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I daresay it was born out of a want to have something unique to the Reds and differentiate the team from the Maroons standard 'QLD' or 'QUEENSLANDER' chant.

At the time on inception (the Link era from memory) the Reds were the hot ticket in town, so carving out a chant unique to them was a smart move.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I remember crowd members used to call out Red Red Red back in the 80s at Ballymore. Never really a crowd chant though.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I remember crowd members used to call out Red Red Red back in the 80s at Ballymore. Never really a crowd chant though.
Haha - years ago I sat in front of one of those guys at Ballymore. Just shouted ‘Red’ frequently at obscure times during the game.

Got to admit I wasn’t a fan.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Chiming in late to congratulate you banana benders on that win. Epic in all senses of the word.

I thought the hit on Lynagh was an absolute dog shot that warranted a yellow card. I don't give a shit about the head impact or wrapped arm - the tackler committed to the hit after the ball was passed and smashed the smallest bloke on the field from his blind spot. Absolutely terrible.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Chiming in late to congratulate you banana benders on that win. Epic in all senses of the word.

I thought the hit on Lynagh was an absolute dog shot that warranted a yellow card. I don't give a shit about the head impact or wrapped arm - the tackler committed to the hit after the ball was passed and smashed the smallest bloke on the field from his blind spot. Absolutely terrible.
Yeah watching it on replay you can see Finau doesn't duck his head and lock in until after the ball is gone. Really bad look.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
And yet not sited for it.
It was unlikely to ever be cited, it was definitely yellow card worthy but a Red would've been excessive without high contact or no wrap. There's not much for the citing to do with missed yellows, they only deal in bans which come from things at the red card threshold or beyond.

I do wish we had some sort of points system where these yellow card level hits would accrue overtime and lead to bans. We could then get a better balance for the truly accidental reds not needing as much time on the sideline compared to the guy who has been putting in yellow worthy high shots all season and finally creeps up to red getting off lightly with "a clean record". Not sure how that could be effectively implemented with the broader context of international rugby though.

Lyall

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yeah watching it on replay you can see Finau doesn't duck his head and lock in until after the ball is gone. Really bad look.
You could tell by the way he launched himself it was clearly a shoulder charge first and foremost. I saw no attempt at a wrap, just a little floppy right arm as an afterthought. Still, according to the rules, that is enough for it to be a legal tackle...

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
You could tell by the way he launched himself it was clearly a shoulder charge first and foremost. I saw no attempt at a wrap, just a little floppy right arm as an afterthought. Still, according to the rules, that is enough for it to be a legal tackle...
Especially seeing as Lynagh had just gotten up from a stinger to his shoulder a couple of phases beforehand - they were definitely targeting him & trying to take him out of the game!

Low act and definitely deserving of a yellow at the time.