• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 3: Sharks v Waratahs - Sunday 12 March 4:30am AEDT, Kings Park, Durban

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Keps, Horne, Robinson, Folau, Hooper (although he continues with effort each week), Phipps are the obvious ones

Hooper was OK though not on fire. Looks overused as someone said earlier.

Folau kicked the best I have seen from him since he swapped codes.

Phipps, man. One point he looking back down the line back to the play as a pass wizzes over his head "what was that?" Not good enough in a school C match.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Disappointed as I am with the two Saffer matches in some ways I'm not surprised. The injuries to key players and further injuries on match eve made for disrupted preparations and unsettled combinations. Added to that touring SAf is never easy, the local refs are always tough on visiting teams and altitude at Joburg's a killer. BUT, we're now back on home soil with a handful of stars returning, I want to see a massive improvement this weekend.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I admit to not seeing the Sharks game, but against the Lions Simone positioned himself very poorly in defence on a number of occasions. I think he's a wonderful talent, but would probably prefer to see him coming off the bench at this stage.
For all the Foley baggers, we are seeing how much we miss him, Hegarty is really not up to playing 10 at this level, and imo in the trials he looked best at 15, and Kellaway is doing fine there. If Foley is still not there next week, I think you have to look at Horwitz or Deegan, and rely on training form as to which. For me I would go with Deegan , as he is a genuine 10.
What the forwards are lacking is a couple of big, hard go-forward guys in tight, providing what Potgeiter and Douglas did in 2014. This year Skelton is showing steps towards this, perhaps Hanigan could be another? Mumm will never provide that role, and I've seen nothing to suggest we'll get it from McDulling or Toleafoa. Our current back row all play wider.
Don't know what's happened to Phipps, but it's certainly time to start Lucas.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
How did Cam Clark go on the weekend.?

I just didn't focus on the lad. From 7's to 15" ??????

there was one moment he had to chase back a kick, and he looked up at the swarming Sharks players and you could see him think "fuck, there's a lot of players on the field here"

He did well for a debut, had not much opportunity with the ball

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
I've just watched the replay and I thought the Waratahs actually deserved a better scoreline than that. A lot of things just went right for the Sharks at key moments.

The Tahs did get schooled at the breakdown though, they got turned over a lot. Classic Sharks.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sharks by far the better team and looking set for a good season.

Tahs not looking close to the team of the past. Luckily for them the other teams in the conference are also struggling.

Reactions: dru

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I've just watched the replay and I thought the Waratahs actually deserved a better scoreline than that. A lot of things just went right for the Sharks at key moments.

The Tahs did get schooled at the breakdown though, they got turned over a lot. Classic Sharks.

It was two intercepts and a load of penalties, the Sharks were the deserving winners, but it could have been closer and the "problems" are eminently fixable.

My actual concern is the lack of direct angry, in attack and defence.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
It was two intercepts and a load of penalties, the Sharks were the deserving winners, but it could have been closer and the "problems" are eminently fixable.

My actual concern is the lack of direct angry, in attack and defence.

Don't forget the two poor passes/catches that led to tries. Firing bullet passes at close support is silly.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
7687d000c70c491faecc9e953c146707.jpg

Lambies replacement.
S24
Durban - He is just 20-years-old, but Benhard Janse van Rensburg looks set to be named as Pat Lambie's replacement at flyhalf when the Sharks host the Kings in this weekend's Super Rugby action.
Lambie lasted just 5 minutes of Saturday's win over the Waratahs before he left the field with what would later be confirmed as a fractured vertebrae. He now faces 6-8 weeks out.
Curwin Bosch put in a solid performance as Lambie's replacement on Saturday, but it looks like he will continue to be backed at fullback.
The other options at No 10 for the Sharks are Inny Radebe and Garth April, but it looks like Janse van Rensburg will crack the nod for the Kings.
"This week it's Benhard. It's my first game with him. We'll see what happens. I'm confident that he will do the job," Sharks centre Andre Esterhuizen told media on Tuesday.
"He's got a good rugby head but he's also not scared to tackle. He's good on defence and attack as well."
Janse van Rensburg, a memeber of the SA U-20 squad that did business at the 2016 World Championships, has been at the Sharks since 2016 but this weekend could potentially be the biggest of his career.
Esterhuizen said that the whole side felt for Lambie, who has now experienced a fourth straight Super Rugby season cut short by injury.
"It's horrible what happened to him, especially now that it's just been injury after injury for the past three years," said Esterhuizen.
"I said yesterday that if that was me I would have probably stopped rugby by now.
"He's a stronger person than me and I'm sure he'll get back up. He always does. He's strong mentally and he always comes back better so hopefully he makes a speedy recovery."
Radebe and April are also youngsters - 22 and 25, respectively - and Esterhuizen knows that replacing Lambie is no easy feat.
"AIt's a big position for the youngsters," he said.
"Losing someone like Pat, you only notice it when he's gone ... all of the organisation and communication. It's a big role to fill for the youngsters but I think they're up for it."

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Curwin Bosch is one of the most exciting SA youngsters on the up. He'll cover 10 with ease and will own the jersey.

Didnt Lambie go off really early? The initial answer to this question is "how did the Sharks go against Tahs?" Pretty good actually.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
If the coaches think van Rensburg is going to be better than Curwin Bosch was last week then the Sharks have got massive depth at 10!

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
If the coaches think van Rensburg is going to be better than Curwin Bosch was last week then the Sharks have got massive depth at 10!
Doubt it. Curwin is apparently primarily a 15 whereas van Rensburg is a 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.