• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 4 - Festival of Hate - Qld v NSW

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Big game for both sides. NSW under fire for being below par, while Qld seem to be earning a few more kudos but are 0-2 regardless.

A real contrast of styles too. The Reds will try and win through bludgeon the NSW pack into submission and defending their hearts out. NSW will try and run Qld off their feet and strike through their outside backs.

From a Qld point of view would like to see one or both of Higgers or Timu start. Edit : Also looks like we might see Paia’aua start, which a lot of us wanted at the start of the season, but gee I wish it wasn’t at the expense of Petaia. Be careful what you wish for I guess.

From a NSW point of view I assume they’ll play the best team they can for this one, so I’ll be interested how they configure the backs.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Yep, Crusaders nullified the Reds pack but Latu's suspension makes that unlikely for the Waratahs. Should be a really interesting game.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Reds to snatch a defeat from the jaws of victory by 1 point against a wholly undeserving Waratahs teams.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
JP Smith must start to the Reds and I'd have Hoopert back on the bench.

I also think CFS is too slow for the wing so want Daugunu to start. But with Petaia out we need to work out what happens in the centres. I'd prefer Kerevi at 12 which probably means CFS at 13.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think if Petaia hadn't been injured we may have found Hamish Stewart on the bench for this game. I don't know if he's the player to guide these Reds to victory at this point. But I don't think Thorn will want to upset the team with too many changes.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
My team for the game would be:

15 Hegarty, 14 Daugunu, 13 CFS, 12 Kerevi, 11 Naivalu, 10 Stewart, 9 Sorovi, 8 Timu, 7 Wright, 7 ASY (Angus Scott-Young), 5 Salakai-Loto, 4 Rodda, 3 Tupou, 2 BPA, 1 JP Smith

16 Mafi, 17 Hoopert, 18 Ruan Smith, 19 Hocking, 20 Higgers, 21 McDermitt, 22 Paia'aua, 23 Lucas

There'd be a temptation to start Higgers I guess, but either way I don't think we can get much more than 40 minutes out of him. Similarly, I'd consider starting Ruan Smith and let Tupou be dynamic from the bench too.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Tahs are under pressure because they didn't put 50 on the Sunwolves (who then go and do the Chiefs away o_O )

I don't know what the Tah's form is really, but if I was the Reds, I would be out the to try to smash the Tahs pigs everywhere and make their ball shit

dru

Tim Horan (67)
My team for the game would be:

15 Hegarty, 14 Daugunu, 13 CFS, 12 Kerevi, 11 Naivalu, 10 Stewart, 9 Sorovi, 8 Timu, 7 Wright, 7 ASY (Angus Scott-Young), 5 Salakai-Loto, 4 Rodda, 3 Tupou, 2 BPA, 1 JP Smith

16 Mafi, 17 Hoopert, 18 Ruan Smith, 19 Hocking, 20 Higgers, 21 McDermitt, 22 Paia'aua, 23 Lucas

There'd be a temptation to start Higgers I guess, but either way I don't think we can get much more than 40 minutes out of him. Similarly, I'd consider starting Ruan Smith and let Tupou be dynamic from the bench too.

I presume that was intentional?

I wasn't taken by Hockings last week, perhaps just a bad game (nor was Rodda in top form). I like the way that Hoopert is shaping up. I would definitely start Smith and bring Tupou off the bench.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Unintentional. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) at 6.

At least Hocking topped the tackle count.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Tahs are under pressure because they didn't put 50 on the Sunwolves (who then go and do the Chiefs away o_O )

I don't know what the Tah's form is really, but if I was the Reds, I would be out the to try to smash the Tahs pigs everywhere and make their ball shit
Maybe even drop the ball deliberately and take the scrum.

Has to be a better option than just hoisting it midfield to Folau.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Unintentional. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) at 6.

At least Hocking topped the tackle count.

Now I did not expect that! I still feel we were underpowered in the locks. TBF there WAS an awe full of of D and the lock pod is usually required to do the heavy lifting in attack. May not have been much left in the legs after the D and the set piece.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I guess Hegarty will take another needle and play with his ribs heavily strapped

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Now I did not expect that! I still feel we were underpowered in the locks. TBF there WAS an awe full of of D and the lock pod is usually required to do the heavy lifting in attack. May not have been much left in the legs after the D and the set piece.
Maybe the game plan wasn't to have the 20 year old lock on debut leading the attacking pods.;). Rodda had even fewer runs than HH.

ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) had the bulk of the carries with Higgers when he came on.

Bit like how Stewart was taken out of the spotlight at 10. He's kind of the reverse QC (Quade Cooper)/Foley at the moment. Playing 10 in defense and hidden at the back in attack

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Bit like how Stewart was taken out of the spotlight at 10. He's kind of the reverse QC (Quade Cooper)/Foley at the moment. Playing 10 in defense and hidden at the back in attack
Can't see Stewart threatening to break into the Wallabies based on what we've seen so far. I hate the barn dance as much as the next man but 10 is the one position where you would willingly hide a player in defense because he brings upside in attack/game management etc.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

I think our backrowers are fit and mobile enough to mitigate some defensive weaknesses in the midfield, they are young and looking for work to do. I would prefer we have a more attack orientated flyhalf who might need some help on the defensive edges, rather than be playing 14 v 15 in attack. Although I don't really know who that is tbh.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think our backrowers are fit and mobile enough to mitigate some defensive weaknesses in the midfield, they are young and looking for work to do. I would prefer we have a more attack orientated flyhalf who might need some help on the defensive edges, rather than be playing 14 v 15 in attack. Although I don't really know who that is tbh.

Reg posted some stats earlier - Stewart’s tackle count is impressive. I continue to wonder if it’s what you want in a 10. Definite bonus, but only if the core duties are covered. Hegarty is flyhalf in all but number for much of the game.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I find it strange as Stewart doesn't seem to be hidden in defence , he actually was at 13 in defence against Crusaders (at least a couple of times I noticed), as that is probably one of hardest places to defend, and didn't notice him missing tackles. Just got me beat what they are trying to do with him.

Reactions: dru