• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 4 - Festival of Hate - Qld v NSW

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I've been a fan of the Reds since the mid 90s. Thorn has killed it for me. I'm currently pretty ambivalent about results. I want the Reds to win, but every loss I also get to enjoy the schadenfreude over Thorn being clueless and out of his depth and one game closer to gone.

This Reds team is not far off Richard Graham era bad. Thorn, unlike Graham, has some positives as a coach, but his negatives are so glaring that he will never, ever be a winning coach. The sooner the Reds move on the better, I am still just hoping the team isn't gutted yet again before it happens.

The game? Messy, scrappy affair. Based on the recent showings we are watching the 3rd and 4th teams in the Australian conference, and it's sad to say that.

All fair comments and I certainly understand your perspective, I have no issue with anything of that.
To clarify my my previous comment/frustration was towards criticism targeting players claiming they had no passion, in sport there really is nothing worse than armchair critics taking aim at players at the collective.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
absolute rubbish. plenty of passion in this team and plenty of guys trying their ass out.
there is poor execution and fusion across the team, doesn't mean individuals aren't trying.

Yes be frustrated about the performance, don't take aim at the individuals and claim they don't give a shit.

Fickle fans like you are like a leaf in the wind anyway
Since the late 80s. "fickle" lol

This mob don't give a shit.

You're an enabler

Reactions: dru

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
We aren't allowed Stadiums m8.

Kerevi looks so disappointed. Feel for the guy.

Went with a Sydney mate to Suncorp Stadium last weekend, he couldn't stop commenting on how close we were to the pitch despite having shit tickets. I could help but say to him, yeah its pretty good but its been the standard expected n Brisbane for almost 20 years now.

Yep agree on Kerevi, the guys aren't gelling, but its not from a lack of individual passion or effort.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Since the late 80s. "fickle" lol

This mob don't give a shit.

There is a right and justification to criticise the team performance and how they played together, but don't take aim at the players as a collective and claim they couldn't give a shit when it's clear that many of them are tying their ass out. It's dissapointing behaviour from yourself and really is contrary to the reality.

Consider your comments, if your aren't willing to walk up to each and every one of those individuals and say that to their face then don't say it at all.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
For me Hanigan was mom. He and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) the best of the Forwards. Foley and Rona the best of the backs.

For Qld plenty of triers. No standouts.
Hockings and Kerevi both had good games.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Wonder how much longer the Tahs will roll out the corpse of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the starting backline. That backline isn't really clicking, and they look to be shuffling week to week.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
The Reds' attack has not changed since 2014. It's just repeated aimless phases with no direction that are easy to defend, until they either drop the ball or kick it away. I'd really like to know how a professional rugby team can be that clueless for that long.

That was basically a repeat of every Reds-Tahs game I've seen since 2014, too. A competition between two sides to see who can be less awful on the night. The only difference was that the surface seems to have nullified the Reds' traditional scrum advantage.

If the Reds bring that game next week I reckon the Sunwolves will pants them again.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
There is a right and justification to criticise the team performance and how they played together, but don't take aim at the players as a collective and claim they couldn't give a shit when it's clear that many of them are tying their ass out. It's dissapointing behaviour from yourself and really is contrary to the reality.

Consider your comments, if your aren't willing to walk up to each and every one of those individuals and say that to their face then don't say it at all.

Sterling post Adam

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Wonder how much longer the Tahs will roll out the corpse of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the starting backline. That backline isn't really clicking, and they look to be shuffling week to week.
Till Foketi is fit i guess. Though, I don't see why they don't just return Rona to the spot.

The Reds' attack has not changed since 2014. It's just repeated aimless phases with no direction that are easy to defend, until they either drop the ball or kick it away. I'd really like to know how a professional rugby team can be that clueless for that long.
At least the Reds aren't the only Australian team with a stagnant attack.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
Just got back from my first rugby match (or any sporting event for that matter) at the SCG. Lovely stadium, terrible for rugby. Really sucked up any atmosphere there might have otherwise been. I won't be rushing back, particularly at those prices. I must say there's not much passion (on or off the field) in these contests these days - a far cry from what I experienced as a boy at Ballymore or even some of the earlier years at Lang Park.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well at times Tahs looked sublime with the backline but then a lot of fumbles crept in....but at same time, the often maligned tah forwards did well...

For the reds.....gees like the look of lucas at fullback....naivalu though had same concerns I use to have with him with the rebels in that he is not a winger who looks to get involved....I thought sorovi had pretty ordinary night and hegarty for me is just not a long term 10 prospect and more showing just a gap that needs to be filled....

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)

Rubbish.

Trying their asses out would mean they put in the extras at training in order to be able to deliver on the field.

If you think they are well prepared for a super rugby match then you are kidding yourself.

Thorn and co not cutting it for them? Well pick up the ball after training and practice your kicks, throws and passes ffs.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Rubbish.

Trying their asses out would mean they put in the extras at training in order to be able to deliver on the field.

If you think they are well prepared for a super rugby match then you are kidding yourself.

Thorn and co not cutting it for them? Well pick up the ball after training and practice your kicks, throws and passes ffs.

Nah not rubbish... I’ve said all I want to say about your disappointing comments, don’t target the individuals with broad sweeping comments unless you’re prepared to walk up and say it to each and every one of their faces, which I I would happily arrange for you if you want to send me your details. Perhaps sleep off the hangover and then get back to me with your answer.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Was out there at the SCG. Luckily had elevated seating so it helped with the distance problems, apparently first tier was rubbish. Looks like something out of an old slapstick when the clowns sprint out to bash down the turf, can’t be safe for the players.

Ordinary old match, first half didn’t make for great viewing. Main positive for the Reds had to be Lucas who was great in attack and defence. To be fair, I think the Reds do look like they are busting a gut but this could be down to their poor game plan as much as them making desperate plays (the term busy idiot springs to mind, but in this case the game plan is idiotic).

Perhaps surprisingly, I thought the Tahs’ forward pack probably gave them the edge this game. Despite a star studded backline they’re still not nailing that double wave of attack like they did last year.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Our family chose not to renew our Reds passes this year. Been going for a fair few years and had involvement with their game day people for several years but then last year they got rid of those people and the new people were not rugby people. Game day experience was lacking, atmosphere was not great. Happy that we aren't going this year.

No doubt players want to do well but I can't see any real strategy apart from relying on the odd Kerevi burst. Surprised that Stewart didn't get on the field (at least I don't think he did, thought I saw him sitting on the bench with a few minutes to go). Fresh legs might have had some benefit.