• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 4: Lions v Reds, Sun 19 March @ 1:15am AEST Ellis Park, Johannesberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sounds like Nabuli will be OK & I think they'll decide that Quade's red was sufficient punishment:

Maybe they'll take into account that the Lions player was on his way down (to score) as a contributing factor. If he was running upright Quade doesn't hit him high.

That said, I'm still expecting a ban until after the bye.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
All we can hope for is that the judiciary treat him like the FIA stewards treat Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Well I just finished watching and that was really painful to see, as bad as the worst of the Graham days at times. Even before Quade's RC it was obvious it wasn't going to end well for us.

Frisby's passing managed to get even worse, which I didn't think possible. Spraying passes everywhere and forcing the players to check their steps and breaking their momentum. Not sure what's going on but he's seriously down on form. Tuttle must surely start now.

The forwards were outmuscled, set piece was poor, defence was poor, discipline was very poor and handling was terrible. The backs stuck to the previous plan of this season, late flat passes, but they just didn't go to hand.

The Lions were lucky with the bounce, nearly half-chance they had stuck, but good teams make their own luck.

Hunt and Paia'aua were the pick of the Reds for mine. Some good signs at times from some of the others and I think on the whole they'll do better next week out of the altitude. Pity about Slipper's injury, I guess Vanzati is going to be starting loosehead. Thrown in at the deep end!

On a wider scale it's looking like it's going to be a really long season for the Aussie teams. Thank God for derbies so the Aussie teams will get some wins.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Could someone clarify for me whether that red card was born out of the changes in the laws governing contact with the head?

Clearly it was a high tackle but a red seems pretty harsh.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
So given the player was falling head first(ish) Quade should not have attempted a tackle because he should have known that there was a high chance of him making contact with the head.

Why wouldn't people just dive head first into every tackle?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If we talk about team performances over the weekend as a barometer of which Oz team should be cut alone that would make Tahs and Reds at top of my list. I expected much more of Reds against the Lions. How stupid of me. That was a disgraceful performance.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Well I just finished watching and that was really painful to see, as bad as the worst of the Graham days at times. Even before Quade's RC it was obvious it wasn't going to end well for us.

Frisby's passing managed to get even worse, which I didn't think possible. Spraying passes everywhere and forcing the players to check their steps and breaking their momentum. Not sure what's going on but he's seriously down on form. Tuttle must surely start now.

The forwards were outmuscled, set piece was poor, defence was poor, discipline was very poor and handling was terrible. The backs stuck to the previous plan of this season, late flat passes, but they just didn't go to hand.

The Lions were lucky with the bounce, nearly half-chance they had stuck, but good teams make their own luck.

Hunt and Paia'aua were the pick of the Reds for mine. Some good signs at times from some of the others and I think on the whole they'll do better next week out of the altitude. Pity about Slipper's injury, I guess Vanzati is going to be starting loosehead. Thrown in at the deep end!

On a wider scale it's looking like it's going to be a really long season for the Aussie teams. Thank God for derbies so the Aussie teams will get some wins.
Even with the local derbies both aussie sides will find a way to lose

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Whatever the impact of the new laws, Cooper needs to address his tackling technique. He must be right up there in terms of a player who is regularly carded for the same thing over and over. Even if the player was dropping it was careless.

I know sometimes locks get through a power of work that people don't notice, but I think our tight 5 in general and our locks in particular are letting us down at present. Hendrick Tui seemed to play a lone hand yesterday.

I'm concerned for Slippers future. He hasn't been the same player since his shoulder injury and another injury set back isn't what he needs right now. I guess he is still young for a prop and should still have his best years in front of him.

Having said all that, and even after last nights performance, which was poor, I still see so much more promise in this years team than last years.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So given the player was falling head first(ish) Quade should not have attempted a tackle because he should have known that there was a high chance of him making contact with the head.

Why wouldn't people just dive head first into every tackle?

No Twolims, I not sure the player was actually that low when QC (Quade Cooper) hit him, as he was going highish anyway, I assume to try and stop him falling over the line. Quade does have an unfortunate record for tackling both as high and tip, and while I am quite convinced he not doing it on purpose he really needs to work on something, that said with his previous record I will be surprised if he gets less than 4 weeks! I not saying I agree, but that my guess.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
IMG-20170319-WA0003.jpg
Screenshot_20170319-110545-02.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.