• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 5 - Brumbies v Reds GIO 18/3

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It should be noted that Tupou is charged with contravening 9.20 which stipulates that:

a) a player must not charge into a ruck or a maul. Charging includes any contact made without binding onto another player in the ruck or maul

It makes no reference as to where contact is made, and in itself has an entry level punishment of 2 weeks.

Obviously if contact above the shoulder line is made, then that's covered by b) A player must not make contact with an opponent above the line of the shoulders, and said punishment increases.

does that still count when the 'opponent' has their shoulders and head illegally lower than their hips? Should have been a free kick to QLD. Sickening bias.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The appeal will be interesting.

In any Super Oz game you will find up to a hundred instances of shoulders below hips in rucks and that's before players collapse to the ground illegally. Likewise in any Super Oz game there will be 10-20 instances of charging into a ruck and not binding and yet to my memory this is the first citing for that offence and penalties blown for it are so rare as to be collectibles.

Consistency does not seem to be a judiciary characteristic.

If we are to change the way rucks are formed it should be done by way of announcement at the end of the season so that teams can adjust pre-season and then referees and the judiciary can go nuts from the start of the season until the changes are implemented. Picking on one player half way through is a very poor way of addressing the issue.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
does that still count when the 'opponent' has their shoulders and head illegally lower than their hips? Should have been a free kick to QLD. Sickening bias.
If you follow Laurie Fischer on Instagram you will see the latch onto the ball/ ball carrier with hips up and head down sealing is very much a coached technique. They even run drills with elastics around the hips of the player so the upper body can get down to ball level during the "latch". If the player going for the pilfer is supporting their own body weight that's fine , but they very often aren't and as a result have no right to be there. Should be treated like any player off their feet.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It should be noted that Tupou is charged with contravening 9.20 which stipulates that:

a) a player must not charge into a ruck or a maul. Charging includes any contact made without binding onto another player in the ruck or maul

It makes no reference as to where contact is made, and in itself has an entry level punishment of 2 weeks.

Obviously if contact above the shoulder line is made, then that's covered by b) A player must not make contact with an opponent above the line of the shoulders, and said punishment increases.
actually the charge directly from SANZAAR is:

Player: Taniela Tupou
Team: Reds
Position: Prop
Date of Incident: 18 March 2022
Nature of Offence: Law 9.20 Dangerous play in a ruck or maul. b. A player must not make contact with an opponent above the line of the shoulders.
Elapsed time in match when incident occurred: 18:40

It's nothing to do with charging.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Nature of Offence: Law 9.20 Dangerous play in a ruck or maul. b. A player must not make contact with an opponent above the line of the shoulders.

Looking forward to the 40-50 citings next week.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

charging is in reference to 9.20 a, what you’ve listed is b. Which as you’re correctly pointed out is about contact about the line of the shoulders.

EB54838E-9A78-4A4B-AB2D-6CAA8CCA634B.jpeg

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
What I’ve listed is what SANZAAR has sent out as what he’s been cited for. It’s a direct quote.
I'm not disputing it Reg, what i posted was amplifying the comment and the difference between 9.20a and 9.20b

Last edited:

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
All I see in that photo is Tupou's arse, and you can't judge it on still shots. At the time I thought it was line ball but happy for it to be classed as just a good cleanout...
XPUnbbV.jpeg

Clear as - Brown's shoulders are lower than his hips and three contact points are not supporting his own weight; right leg and both hands.

He's not even close to getting the ball - cynical play to slow the Reds ball down!

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
In all serious it looks like a textbook shoulder on shoulder clear out to me. He gets his body height low, makes contact flat / upwards trajectory, doesn't come down on the player and is accurate with his connection. Bizarre to me the he has been cited.
The only possible thing I can think of is after the contact his arm seems to go from under Brown at the contact to a more upright position as he tries to push him through the contact. I don't think this is contact, reckon it is the angle because he blows him soo hard off the ball there is no resistance against his arm and it comes up easily.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If it was a penalty, even yellow card during a card I could accept that.

but the fact they’re saying this is a red card offence worthy of been cited post match is quite frankly a joke, it’s a dangerous preceden to set for the game of rugby if this is considered a red card offence.

the game is going to turn into an even more repetitive bore of TMO replays as every second ruck is examined frame by frame looking for the same contact.