• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 5 - Brumbies v Reds GIO 18/3

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Reds beat the Brumbies 3 times last year..

Blah blah blah..expected to lose.. bet if your in a tipping comp you selected the Reds.

C05638EC-BEAF-4DA0-8868-38F126BE7EDE.jpeg

I tipped the Brumbies. As did 77% of this group it would seem.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I found Valetini an interesting case last night.

I know I noticed him less than I did in previous weeks. Not to say I didn’t see him often - but didn’t see as many big charges or hits.

But there was a period when I saw him involved in 2-3 breakdowns in a row when the Reds were in counterattack off a turnover. It ended in Muirhead (I think) securing a breakdown penalty.

I remember 2 years ago when some were raving about Valetini because he made a few big hits and big charges. My understanding is that the Brumbies coaching staff were in his ear and telling him his efforts in training and games were sub par because he wasn’t doing the graft required. Also interesting that when Dan McKellar was questioned on him earlier in the year he didn’t say how great he was going he said he’s still a work in progress.

We often talk about the ‘meat and potatoes’ of front rowers - getting their set piece right first then everything else afterwards. To his enormous credit Valetini looks to me like a guy know who has the correct focus on his game. His big hits and charges are better than ever but he knows his role and his breakdown work is the thing that has really kicked on. Well done to him and credit to the Brumbies coaching staff. On first viewing last night I thought Uru outpointed him, but won’t be surprised if he got through a bucket of work I didn’t notice.

Having said all that I will finish by saying I thought Uru, Wilson & McReight were all outstanding last night. 3 guys in wonderful form, super competitive and with genuine spark to their play.
Agree, I had Uru as best Reds player on ground and probably edging out Rob for ToTW. Wilson and McReight are absolutely top rated players although I thought Brown was equal to McReight in the 7 spot. Stewart is getting better and better and it was a close tussle with Simone in the 12 spot. Otherwise I thought Banks clearly outpointed Petaia who made too many mistakes and again failed to finish the game. My criticism of Banks in this game is the he was ultra-conservative with his line kicking. With the dominant lineout though, that might have been under instruction.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Yeah forward packs were pretty evenly matched overall. Tupou and AAA over their opposites, hooker pretty comparable (FF (Folau Fainga'a) prob shading it as more consistent in lineout), Brumbies locks, and Reds back row. But no real dominance of one over another - it was such a dogfight.
Best two packs going at each other. Personally, I reckon Slipper had the better of TT at scrum time and in open play. AAA was immense and if I'm not mistaken saw out the entire match. FF (Folau Fainga'a) really blotted his copy book by watching JOC (James O'Connor) slide past him to score. Poor effort. Brumbies second row id becoming a real force and is in outstanding form, as is the Reds back row.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Tupou cited for his clear out of Brown.
Interesting - a bit strange considering it was asked to be reviewed on field, cleared by the TMO and Murphy saw replays and also was happy with the outcome. I mean you literally hear Murphy say ‘it was been cleared as shoulder to shoulder’.

If Tupou gets suspended, you’d have to think RA will need to stand down Murphy and the TMO for a game because they’ve ballsed it up after a review. Even if they don’t go that far, by citing Tupou they’ve shown no faith in the decisions made during the game.

Not sure I like the rabbit hole the game goes down with these sort of things. If you’re going to stop the game to review foul play, it needs to be settled then.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yes and no on that Phil, I thought it looked ok on angles shown, but if more angles can be seen later, perhaps we can't judge the TMO and ref too harshly. They have been strongly encouraged to be quicker this year I believe.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Hmm - I'd be more forgiving if it was penalty or a yellow card on field, and he was further cited for review as they were looking to upgrade the charge.

The fact they cleared the play all together on field and then decide to cite him is what irks me.

People make mistakes, but when you've got technology and you're using that technology to stop play and make decisions, you better get it right and then stick with that decision.

It just highlights the inconsistencies in our game. If they're going to review all the footage and cite Tupou over a cleared play, I'd love to hear their assessment of the play at the end of the game where McReight was held back, yet no review was made on field. They likely won't do that because it officially would expose Murphy too much in one game.

Last edited:

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Don’t be fooled by the acronym SANZAAR. It is still run by NSW rugby.
They have to even the playing field for the Waratahs clash!

Reactions: TSR

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Watched a replay again and it's definitely shoulder to shoulder contact, but it's pretty clear from the rear shot (in slow mo anyway) that Tupou's arm makes contact with Brown's head on the way in. By my understanding of the framework that is a yellow at most (in reality I think it's just a well executed clear out), but obviously SANZAR have a different perspective. Maybe they are deeming that his arm was cocked? From how I see it, he tries to wrap (just).

1647819818672.png

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Watched a replay again and it's definitely shoulder to shoulder contact, but it's pretty clear from the rear shot (in slow mo anyway) that Tupou's arm makes contact with Brown's head on the way in. By my understanding of the framework that is a yellow at most (in reality I think it's just a well executed clear out), but obviously SANZAR have a different perspective. Maybe they are deeming that his arm was cocked? From how I see it, he tries to wrap (just).

View attachment 13211
All I see in that photo is Tupou's arse, and you can't judge it on still shots. At the time I thought it was line ball but happy for it to be classed as just a good cleanout...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It should be noted that Tupou is charged with contravening 9.20 which stipulates that:

a) a player must not charge into a ruck or a maul. Charging includes any contact made without binding onto another player in the ruck or maul

It makes no reference as to where contact is made, and in itself has an entry level punishment of 2 weeks.

Obviously if contact above the shoulder line is made, then that's covered by b) A player must not make contact with an opponent above the line of the shoulders, and said punishment increases.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
It should be noted that Tupou is charged with contravening 9.20 which stipulates that:

a) a player must not charge into a ruck or a maul. Charging includes any contact made without binding onto another player in the ruck or maul

It makes no reference as to where contact is made, and in itself has an entry level punishment of 2 weeks.

Obviously if contact above the shoulder line is made, then that's covered by b) A player must not make contact with an opponent above the line of the shoulders, and said punishment increases.
Good pickup. I'm not so sure Tupou makes a genuine attempt to wrap. Brown being blown out of the ruck by the initial contact doesn't help, but there's definitely a 'push' out from Tupou's arm that isn't consistent with binding.