• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 5 - Brumbies v Reds GIO 18/3

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The potential foul play aside - the Reds still had a scrum 5m out to win the game essentially. I’m not sure the play they took to try and score straight off the scrum was best option.

Yep. Unfortunately another poor piece of skill by Jeans. One just drop cold while on attack and then that just poor pass to JOC (James O'Connor).

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Ferocious game. Lot of aggression there which is good to see, but it got a bit stupid at points.

Murphy not doing himself any favours with that performance. While my question over a penalty try at the end is entirely valid, it was clear from the get-go that things were going to be niggly and perhaps could have been reined on long before he told the front rows to sort it out.

I think a chat with the captains after the reversed penalty-maul-not-maul-push-n-shove thing would have been worthwhile. The penalty count was QLD 14-8 ACT at one point and there was still a fair bit of time on the clock. Both sides just carried on like pork chops.

Reds lineout got pillaged, which is where they lost the game. Once primary ball was under threat thanks to the throw-it-to-Uru strategy came undone, and the scrums turned into a lottery, it compounded the errors they made under pressure for the ball they did have, chasing the game.

Good to see Swain carded. He wasn't even being a pest - just stupid - and TBH he's been a penalty magnet for a few weeks.

It was the right result. The Reds getting a penalty try at the end might have papered over some issues they have with their set piece that need a bit of tweaking.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I agree they carrying on by players was way over the top, there’s aggression and abrasiveness but then there’s being a dickhead.

I don’t want to see rugby turned into a game of immature theatrics of screaming in the oppositions face, it’s not a good look for the game and I don’t want to see that flow down to younger grades.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Huh? That wasn’t the question.

The answer is no btw. That was a tough tight game. Adam’s only point is that based on our team sheet, he and others expected to go down to that Brumbies team by a lot more. But we didn’t - they stood up, and that’s something to be proud of.
Best Front rower, 8 , 7 10, centre, and the two beat fullbacks all in the Reds starting line up..

I call bullshit on they expected to go down by more.. you all expected to win. Just didn't

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Huh? That wasn’t the question.

The answer is no btw. That was a tough tight game. Adam’s only point is that based on our team sheet, he and others expected to go down to that Brumbies team by a lot more. But we didn’t - they stood up, and that’s something to be proud of.
And also the two posts were both digs at the Brumbies for not putting the Reds away by more... Just accept the lose..

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
With regards to Jeans, a bit more composure under pressure would have been good, but you can’t train experience. I prefer he is getting the exposure now - hopefully will help him going forward.

On the plus side Thomas seems to have really come along and Blyth & Smith have become a solid pairing. Uru has been excellent. Thorn has a tough decision next week as he offers a very different dynamic to Wright who is excellent as well.

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Best Front rower, 8 , 7 10, centre, and the two beat fullbacks all in the Reds starting line up..

I call bullshit on they expected to go down by more.. you all expected to win. Just didn't
Look back on the posts beforehand - most thought we’d go down. There’s no ‘dog shots’ - we are allowed to be happy with certain parts of our teams effort.

I think you’re feeling a bit combative after a good Brumbies win and are looking for insult where there isn’t any.

Last edited:

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I was disappointed with this game on both team fronts. It was messy and the level of skill fell way short. It may have been aggressive and close in score but not a good standard of rugby. I don’t think you could include too many of these players in TOTW.

EDIT. I’m not usually one to criticise the officials, but all four (including TMO) need to pick up their standards.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Tom I think Brumbies fans should be happy they have 16 internationals and a Wallaby coach in their team, as am I that the Reds had 6 and held their own until the 80th minute.

Let’s hope test selectors agree with your comments about those players though!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I was disappointed with this game on both team fronts. It was messy and the level of skill fell way short. It may have been aggressive and close in score but not a good standard of rugby. I don’t think you could include too many of these players in TOTW.
Based on ‘quality of opposition’ metric, players from these two teams may be the only ones who will feature this week though.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Reg it was a game point where Petaia did not manage basics expected of a 15. I've given up on any expectation over Jock reclaiming 15, and support Petaia on his journey.

Doesn't mean I can't point out when he fails on a basic 15 role.

And a single observation like that doesn't meant I don't think he played well in general or that he didn't contribute. I'm going to guess though that he won't get 15 in the GGR totw.

PS I'd add that it would help if you are going to comment on the quality pf in game commentary here, that you do it during the game, during the commentary. Otherwise its just out of context.
I’m with you Dru, Campbell is my preferred fullback moving forward. Campbell is more controlled with less mistakes. If anything play two fullbacks (Campbell 15 Petaia 14) but we would need JOC (James O'Connor) to play on the attacking line and not sitting so deep as the second fullback. I don’t know if he is geared to do this though.
I like Petaia in space but don’t think he has the rugby smarts or the kicking game to be the preferred number 15.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Tom I think Brumbies fans should be happy they have 16 internationals and a Wallaby coach in their team, as am I that the Reds had 6 and held their own until the 80th minute.

Let’s hope test selectors agree with your comments about those players though!
So ingenious.. and you had 7..

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I’m with you Dru, Campbell is my preferred fullback moving forward. Campbell is more controlled with less mistakes. If anything play two fullbacks (Campbell 15 Petaia 14) but we would need JOC (James O'Connor) to play on the attacking line and not sitting so deep as the second fullback. I don’t know if he is geared to do this though.
I like Petaia in space but don’t think he has the rugby smarts or the kicking game to be the preferred number 15.

JOC (James O'Connor) played verrrrry deep last night.

I thought Stewart had his best attacking game in some time which made the strategy look better than it was.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Keep it for grounding and serious foul play and we've got a game.
I don’t think this will solve the issues of the lengthy reviews in play though Derp. It might reduce then a bit, but what constitutes serious foul play is pretty subjective.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
JOC (James O'Connor) played verrrrry deep last night.

I thought Stewart had his best attacking game in some time which made the strategy look better than it was.
JOC (James O'Connor) plays way too deep for my liking. It actually cramps the fullback and wingers. If you watch the next game, he tries to play more up front on the attacking line in the first half, then reverts to his comfort of playing deep as the game progresses, then it becomes a kicking game and not a ball game.
Stewart had a pretty good game in both defence and attack. Just didn’t have the support in the right places at the right time. He was probably my best Reds player on the field.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I guess I’ll wait until the games today - but I’d be surprised if the players from last night don’t feature heavily in my TOTW.

I’m reminded that grand finals are very rarely free flowing affairs and test matches often aren’t either because the quality of the opposition tends to make it harder to play free flowing football and causes errors. Doesn’t mean there aren’t plenty of good things happening on the field.