• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 5 : Reds v Force, Suncorp Stadium, 20 March 6.45

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Yeah, we do. Brumbies have 3 BP from 4 games, while the Reds have 1 from 3. 4 points is a must, but we need 5 if we want a home Grandfinal.

One of those bonus points is from the tight loss last weekend. We don't need any of those type bonus points.

I'd rather think the Reds have a bigger axe to grind this weekend now the Force signed Judas Rodda.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'd love this to be a banana skin game, but I see the Force getting pumped by 30 in this one. I'm not sure there is a place on the field that a Force player would be picked over a Reds one.

QPR fullback of the year against Ireland's most decorated fullback ain't much of a competition.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If the Brumbis were to pick up their bonus point while the Reds only 2, and the Reds vs Brumbies is a draw then the Brumbies are ahead on points.

Bonus points are important and you've gotta pick them up where you can, and the Reds should be picking up BP's against the Waratahs and the Force at home (should have against the Rebels too).
I was being facetious, bonus points would obviously be good. But by my calculations the one bonus point we have is enough to guarantee top spot if we win all our remaining games. If we win this weekend we’ll end the first round in front of the Brumbies. If we win 4 games in the second round we get 16 points. If Brumbies win 3 & get 4 bonus points they’ll get 16 too and we’ll end in front. I am happy for my maths to be corrected.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I really thought Rodda would head to the Tahs.

I haven't looked into this much but I imagine the Force have more money to spend over the coming years. Aging roster who you'd imagine would be coming off contract end of this season/next year. More money on the back end for Rodda.

Versus the Tahs who will be looking to secure some of their younger guys. Although would have made sense for them to get Rodda onboard as a leader. That forward pack would have been deadly.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I think they’ll go with Jono

I get the impression Sampson is off Jono. He should have started or been in the 23 that last game after Jake's poor showing in previous games. If Jake starts again this week something is wrong. He isn't the same level as Miotti or Lance.

Excited for this game but the Force always lift against the Reds and the Reds almost always slip up after a win against top teams. It will be wet all week and on Saturday night so if the force grind it out and the reds try to play dry weather footy I can see the force causing an upset.

Don't know about what others think but the first 60 mins of the game last week the Qld players didn't look like they had their heads in the game, with 1 or 2 exceptions.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I get the impression Sampson is off Jono. He should have started or been in the 23 that last game after Jake's poor showing in previous games. If Jake starts again this week something is wrong. He isn't the same level as Miotti or Lance.

Excited for this game but the Force always lift against the Reds and the Reds almost always slip up after a win against top teams. It will be wet all week and on Saturday night so if the force grind it out and the reds try to play dry weather footy I can see the force causing an upset.

Don't know about what others think but the first 60 mins of the game last week the Qld players didn't look like they had their heads in the game, with 1 or 2 exceptions.

Possibly as a result of coming off a bye. At the post match interview BT said they will jell better with more game time.
Not a good look for the Force if that is the case.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I actually thought Jake was actually very good for the Force, I think he's actually EXACTLY who the Rebels would do well to have signed, his kicking was trash -- but if you take that out he looked to guide the attack really really well. I doubt he'll have another game where he kicks so poorly but even if he did/does there are enough other kicking options that could kick for him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
QUEENSLAND REDS (1-15):

Dane Zander, Alex Mafi, Taniela Tupou, Angus Blyth, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Angus Scott-Young, Fraser McReight, Harry Wilson, Tate McDermott, James O’Connor (c), Ilaisa Droasese, Hunter Paisami, Jordan Petaia, Suliasi Vunivalu, Jock Campbell
Reserves:

Brandon Paenga-Amosa, Harry Hoopert, Zane Nonggorr, Ryan Smith, Seru Uru, Kalani Thomas, Hamish Stewart, Bryce Hegarty
INs:

OUTs:

WESTERN FORCE (1-15):

Tom Robertson, Feleti Kaitu’u, Greg Holmes, Jeremy Thrush, Sitaleki Timani, Fergus Lee-Warner, Kane Koteka, Brynard Stander (c), Tomas Cubelli, Jake McIntyre, Richard Kahui, Henry Taefu, Tevita Kuridrani, Byron Ralston, Robert Kearney
Reserves:

Jack Winchester, Angus Wagner, Santiago Medrano, Ryan McCauley, Tim Anstee, Ian Prior, Jack McGregor, Marcel Brache

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I do like the idea of blooding Droasese, he's a really high quality winger who should be destined for great things. I just hope it doesn't lead to EVEN MORE good selection headaches.

I think a lot of us probably would have started Uru but it'd be pretty line ball between Uru and ASY (Angus Scott-Young), but perhaps Uru is better suited to being that spark plug off the bench.

And I think it'll be really interesting to see Kalani goes, he looks like another exciting young halfback prospect for the Reds! Tate hasn't quite been as he was impressive as last year. Having said that Sorovi was playing well enough.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Stewart and Hegarty bench is interesting and not a combo I like there. I feel like both are good at holding a lead, but not exactly sparks, we don’t want to be chasing points in the last 20mins when they come on.

I’m guessing Petaia will go to the wing at some stage when Stewart comes on.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I actually thought Jake was actually very good for the Force, I think he's actually EXACTLY who the Rebels would do well to have signed, his kicking was trash -- but if you take that out he looked to guide the attack really really well. I doubt he'll have another game where he kicks so poorly but even if he did/does there are enough other kicking options that could kick for him.

Mate he has not been. The attack is stifled when he plays. Doesn't matter though as he is clearly the coach's favorite, perhaps some old Dragons allegiance would explain it.

No Miotti or Lance on the bench is odd. Shame Daugunu isn't available I hope Ilaisa is up to it as Ralston is a pretty sharp player. Excited to see Anstee run around again, shame he isn't starting. It'll be interesting to see how Timani goes in super. Wonder if he is as capable as many remember.

Battle of the forwards should be good. Older pack v a younger pack. Both very capable and imo either could get over the other on their day.

Backs a bit different, advantage Reds me thinks. If the reds play to the conditions then JOC (James O'Connor) should lead them to a decent victory. But as I said earlier the reds often underperform after a good win and the Force seem to be a bit of a bogie team for them. Should be a good game. Hope the rain clears