• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 5, Sunwolves v Reds, 16/3 @ Tokyo

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As discussed with my much derided observation last week of Lucas at 15 (Hardy on the bench) is a view towards Lucas as long term 10 leapfrogging Hamish.

Low & behold he starts at 10 in his second game, Hamish at 15.

Let’s see what Hamish does & what comes of Hardy (if he makes it).

Thought Isaac looked super promising last week.

let's see how long it plays for before you start crowing. Also where does your theory leave HArdy as our next 15 now he's out of the squad?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reg do RA choose the games to miss or is there a quota and up to the teams choose? Also what's the amount of game/time restrictions?

dunno. The kiwis have a max number of minutes in the first 4 or 5 rounds. Perhaps we have something similar? It's up to the Super coaches to decide I believe

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Personally think Smith for Tupou almost strengthens Red's scrum, as last year at least I thought the 2 Smith boys were brilliant scrummagers!!

I don't disagree and they will be good around the field (if they can catch the ball). It means we have to loose head props on the bench though doesn't it?

B

Bobby Sands

Credit where it is due mate - you did nail it.

Would you happen to know the lotto numbers?

Thanks mate.

No good at lotto, but I think Hamish at 12 next season with Duncan leaving could be a good bet.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
As discussed with my much derided observation last week of Lucas at 15 (Hardy on the bench) is a view towards Lucas as long term 10 leapfrogging Hamish.

Low & behold he starts at 10 in his second game, Hamish at 15.

Let’s see what Hamish does & what comes of Hardy (if he makes it).

Thought Isaac looked super promising last week.
He looked good. Was particularly impressed with his tackle on Izzy at full flight. Also ran the ball well.

I wonder if he will be first receiver, though. The reds started with Hegarty going in at first receiver from 15, maybe Stewart will do the same?

B

Bobby Sands

let's see how long it plays for before you start crowing. Also where does your theory leave HArdy as our next 15 now he's out of the squad?

Here he is.

Sure, happy to.

I think its fairly obvious what is happening, as the same thing was done by Thorn with Hamish last year.

He likes to blood his 10s at 15. (Hamish at 15, Jono at 10)

I have no idea what will happen with Hardy or if he will even make it at all.

However clearly this week with Hegarty out, and Isaac into 10 - when the obvious call would have been Hamish back in the driver's seat is a clear signal of the direction of the squad.

It's plain as day if you can't see that - well then... I better not.

Clearly, we still need a fullback this week though (with Isaac playing there last week) so we go back to a dual flyhalf 10/15 axis.

Do I think Hamish will be out long-term fullback? No. Is he the safest pick this week? Probably.

Who will be the long-term fullback at the Reds? I have no idea. Maybe he is not even in the squad yet.

But my hunch is that that is the position Hardy has been recruited for. So let's wait and see, shall we?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Mafi on the bench. Big Ben Gunter starts in the backrow.

15 Jason Emery, 14 Gerhard van den Heever, 13 Sione Teaupa, 12 Michael Little (c), 11 Hosea Saumaki, 10 Hayden Parker, 9 Jamie Booth, 8 Rahboni Warren Vosayaco, 7 Dan Pryor, 6 Ben Gunter, 5 Uwe Helu, 4 Tom Rowe, 3 Hiroshi Yamashita, 2 Atsushi Sakate, 1 Pauliasi Manu Substitutes: 16 Jaba Bregvadze, 17 Sam Prattley, 18 Asaeli Ai Valu, 19 James Moore, 20 Amanaki Mafi, 21 Keisuke Uchida, 22 Rikiya Matsuda, 23 Semisi Masirewa

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
weather forecast is rain and max of 10 degrees.

Tough gig for the Reds who struggle to hold on to the ball in perfect conditions.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Maybe it'll up their focus on ball retention. It might actually make them play closer to the breakdown, which I think will suit them.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
weather forecast is rain and max of 10 degrees.

Tough gig for the Reds who struggle to hold on to the ball in perfect conditions.
At the same time, it definitely won't suit the Sunwolves who love to fling it about and use their expansive game to compensate for their general lack of physicality.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm not going to throw the towel in just yet but it's looking like the same old story. :mad:

I'll be happy with a 1 point win.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Wright is doing just fine. Let McReight develop, his time will come

I just reckon it's a pisser that you've got a bloke called McReight as the understudy to a bloke called Wright. Maybe it's been brought up before,I'm only seeing it now though :D

EDIT: saw emuarse's 'two rights don't make a wrong' post on the next page after I wrote this