• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 6 - Reds v Waratahs - Suncorp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Match pressure, yes. But if a hooker in the pro ranks can't throw a lob to any point in the lineout, it points to a development journey that didn't face many challenges. I'm aware he's only 22, but he should have been able to throw a lob to any position in the lineout from Colts.
Yeah, as BH pointed out it was a late transition to Hooker - his first game at hooker was towards the end of the 2020 AU season and he'd had less than 80 minutes there for the Reds before the start of this season (excluding trial matches). Add to that he spent most of last year out with a foot injury so he didn't get that time at club level to build those skills week in week out.

It's worth noting that his ability to throw (in skill execution terms) was part of what prompted them to transition him to Hooker, so I'm hopefully it will progress well with the amount of game time he's going to get under his belt this year.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well shit I’ve always called it borking.
1648505785225.png

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Zander banned for 3 matches for his high tackle
I am starting to wonder about the way some of these lad's brains work.

They know the rules, if they don't then the coaching group needs a kick up the a##.
The refs and World Rugby have been up front and honest with the outcome of "no arm" tackles and all the other deliberate foul play.

Then every week we see more events and heavy sanctions.
Are they getting paid too much where they can miss a few weeks work?

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
On a side note - both Reds hookers have been pinged for ‘borking’ over the last few weeks. Seems like some general confusion with the lineup setup itself, as well as average throws.
Which shits me to tears when no-one calls out the Welsh Hooker who does it every single line out.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I am starting to wonder about the way some of these lad's brains work.

They know the rules, if they don't then the coaching group needs a kick up the a##.
The refs and World Rugby have been up front and honest with the outcome of "no arm" tackles and all the other deliberate foul play.

Then every week we see more events and heavy sanctions.
Are they getting paid too much where they can miss a few weeks work?
This was a purely emotional decision by Zander - had it been any other player running the ball, he doesn’t tackle like this.

It was very much a little brother trying to sock one into big brother type scenario and it’s cost him time on the sidelines.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

This was a purely emotional decision by Zander - had it been any other player running the ball, he doesn’t tackle like this.

It was very much a little brother trying to sock one into big brother type scenario and it’s cost him time on the sidelines.
should have bent his back driven the shoulder and wrapped the arms, bent the ball runner backwards and landed on top of him then. Do that a couple of times and we all see who has the upper hand. Plus we get to watch it keep happening instead of a couple of players sitting on deck chairs.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Gees I think your making a gross assumption there. It was lazy by Zander. Unfortunately he is falling into the old school prop school of just being big. His workrate is small and his scrum work inconsistent. I’ve found his technical positioning this year in the scrum really poor. Much like this tackle.

He needs a big remodel if he wants to progress further in the game.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Gees I think your making a gross assumption there. It was lazy by Zander. Unfortunately he is falling into the old school prop school of just being big. His workrate is small and his scrum work inconsistent. I’ve found his technical positioning this year in the scrum really poor. Much like this tackle.

He needs a big remodel if he wants to progress further in the game.

Yep I agree with your assessment of him this year, I am not impressed.

But I stand by the fact I think he was trying to put a big hit on a specific player and got it wrong. He saw it was Ruan running the ball and took the time to wind up for the hit, he was second man in so had time to think about it.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I thought Wilson had a good game but the metres run stat is a bit off given he had one 20 odd metre charge off a line dropout.
I have always thought total metres is a nothing stat, a full back can easily rack up 150m if the opponent is kicking deep and they run the ball back, they get 20m before they meet a defender of every kick.

Metres after contact is the best stat to show the impact they actually had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom