• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 6: Waratahs v Crusaders - Sunday 2 April 2017 4pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
As opposed to the defence of all Aus franchises. Steaming sack of turds.

Isn't this thread Tahs-centric only ;)? Nonetheless, I can only agree with you.

Perhaps your disquiet re all the Aus franchises' defence capabilities partly reflects the fact that Grey of course is the Wallabies defence coach (and thus is meant to help all the Aus Super franchises out in this area........when he has time)?

It's comforting for the 2017 Wallabies that Cheika has Stephen 'The Maul King' Larkham and Nathan 'Open The Holes' Grey as his two key Wallabies Assistant Coaches. Should bode well for that Wallaby breakthrough year we've all been waiting for.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
where is blackwattle bay?

Down near the fish markets

Has a nice view.

img_1158_1434788357355_l.jpg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Perhaps your disquiet re all the Aus franchises' defence capabilities partly reflects the fact that Grey of course is the Wallabies defence coach (and thus is meant to help all the Aus Super franchises out in this area....when he has time)?

It's comforting for the 2017 Wallabies that Cheika has Stephen 'The Maul King' Larkham and Nathan 'Open The Holes' Grey as his two key Wallabies Assistant Coaches. Should bode well for that Wallaby breakthrough year we've all been waiting for.

Surely Stephen Larkham as attack coach is a contradiction in terms?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
LOL. What was the Crusaders winger hoping to do there? Just let him pass until you're side on and then aim for his knees. Cut him over if you can, but you'll have a better chance knocking a foot into touch, which is just as good.
Naiyavorovoro’s solar plexus seemed to transmogrify into a black hole vortex. Basic science. Bridge too far suddenly became Bridge too near. Basic engineering.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Ok, only my opinion, but for first up effort from a kid ,I thought he went ok. Don't expect any young 10 to set the world on fire in first game, just he seemed to do basics pretty well.

I thought he was ok as well. Far better than Hegarty anyway.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just home. Pretty good game of rugby, lots of open play. Pity the sanders ran away with it at the end. Our defence let us down badly., especially Reece Robinson. Also, looked like the sanders were just that bit fitter. Naiyaravoros try was one for the ages. Pity he only got the ball one other time, he wasn't looking for it much.

I thought all our young backs did pretty well. Even though we lost by 19, I have a bit more hope now

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have always thought that Taqele should migrate to 8. Give him plenty of ball, he could create havoc against any team.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
The good:
Naiyaravoro's try

The Bad:
Too many missed tackles
Too many poor attempts at tackles
Too many errors
Too many poor options
Dean Mumm
Cam Clark never at fullback

The scary:
The coaching staff still have their jobs

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Perhaps your disquiet re all the Aus franchises' defence capabilities partly reflects the fact that Grey of course is the Wallabies defence coach (and thus is meant to help all the Aus Super franchises out in this area....when he has time)?

Actually, no. If he is the problem, and he may well be, it explains the Tahs and Wallabies' frailties. But I see the same issue across all teams, and it's hard to sheet that all home to Grey. There is a general softness in Aus rugby for mine. A sluggish, inexorable capitulation in the hard contest. Kiwi teams have an energy, an intent we seem to lack.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Perhaps its got something to do with the fact that, as juniors, they'd be lucky to play 5 hard games a year - and none of them in the wet

I was actually reflecting on this the other day. At the Tahs atleast so many of our players come from Sydney Uni / Randwick / Manly who walk over sides week in week out.

Perhaps if our Super players were more evenly distributed they'd have more of a thirst for hard fought games.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Perhaps its got something to do with the fact that, as juniors, they'd be lucky to play 5 hard games a year

Quite likely. But what do you do, when most State schools do not have any interest in rugby? You get small, parochial private school organisations with a select sub-group who believe in chest-beating local tribalism above any idea of a greater competition, and players who are feted with scholarships and delusions of grandeur beyond the small pond in which they paddle, living out the failed dream of parents who never quite reached that far, but who have the dollars to chase an unreality. Meanwhile, in NZ, they pursue Darwinism.
*Rant over*

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Like the look of that young boy Mason at 10, I actually thought there 2 good young 10s in the game, both come in as replacements for pretty good 10s, and Mason did just what Hunt has been doing since he has come in for the Saders, looked a quite assured and mature 10.
I was at the game so didn't have the ability to see all the plays close up (and was distracted by my kids running around) but I did like what I saw with Mason. Nothing to set the world on fire but solid for a debut. From where I was sitting he wasn't just shovelling it along the line which is common with some young debutants. He passes appeared flat and well timed.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Actually, no. If he is the problem, and he may well be, it explains the Tahs and Wallabies' frailties. But I see the same issue across all teams, and it's hard to sheet that all home to Grey. There is a general softness in Aus rugby for mine. A sluggish, inexorable capitulation in the hard contest. Kiwi teams have an energy, an intent we seem to lack.
Bingo!
With 10 or so to go, the Tahs were 1 metre out, looking to equalise.
They missed that opportunity and then proceeded to give up two tries and a bonus point.
In the championship minutes we get found out by the kiwis every time.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Quite likely. But what do you do, when most State schools do not have any interest in rugby? You get small, parochial private school organisations with a select sub-group who believe in chest-beating local tribalism above any idea of a greater competition, and players who are feted with scholarships and delusions of grandeur beyond the small pond in which they paddle, living out the failed dream of parents who never quite reached that far, but who have the dollars to chase an unreality. Meanwhile, in NZ, they pursue Darwinism.
*Rant over*

The first thing is to convince all the people - many of whom are posters on here - that a 6 team comp is no way to build a national team (or a management team for that matter).

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
*Rant over*
Easy, you take control of the rep teams, and insist that to be eligible you have to play for your local club.
Watch the kids gravitate to where the prized selections are available.
When the school threatens to drop club players to 3's, they won't care & the power is then transferred.

Status
Not open for further replies.