• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 7: Reds v Rebels - Saturday 30 March @ Suncorp

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
From memory, didn’t Taniela miss the trip the Tokyo? So it’s possible he may have just been lacking the usual edge you have from consistent playing time. In any event, having him come on fresh should allow his ball carrying game to have a great impact on tired legs.

The Smith bros on paper should be able to deal with their Rebels counterparts.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From memory, didn’t Taniela miss the trip the Tokyo? So it’s possible he may have just been lacking the usual edge you have from consistent playing time. In any event, having him come on fresh should allow his ball carrying game to have a great impact on tired legs.

The Smith bros on paper should be able to deal with their Rebels counterparts.

Cheika has said the 'rest' is not really a rest. It's a loading week whereby they can give them the appropriate work load (that they couldn't have in a game week) to ensure they are right physically for RWC time.

That may have been a factor too. I think he is still struggling for fitness. Performing skills under pressure is a sign of fitness and he's failed a few times.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
1. Faulkner
2. Rangi
3. Talakai
4. Philip
5. Coleman
6. Jones
7. Cottrell
8. Naisarani
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Koroibete
12. Meakes
13. English
14. Maddocks
15. Hodge

16. Abel
17. Gibbon
18. Ainsley
19. Ha’angana
20. Leota
21. Ruru
22. Magnay
23. Tuipulotu

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Interesting Hodge at 15 instead of Maddocks.

Uelese apparently isn’t far off, so a shame he’s still not quite there.

Cottrell at 7 shows they expect a war upfront

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Sa'aga still out of the 23, seems that who ever posted he was out of favour is on the money.

No room for Wilkin or Hardwick? Any either of them injured? Rebels have some (talented) pretty green forward reserves.

Tuipulotu didn't fill me with confidence from the SA tour. So, for his sake I hope he doesn't have too much time opposite Kerevi.

Fuck me what a ripper of a match up, my two teams, I genuinely can't decide who I'll be going for. I guess you always feel it in your gut as soon as they kick off.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
good team but without either Wilkin or Hardwick, Wright and McReight could have a field day at the breakdown if the clean out and support play isn't accurate. It is arguably the best XV they can field, but big Pone F is unlucky imo.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think he's been out smarted rather than outscrummaged (which is kinda the same). Hopefully he's learning from it all.

The opposing scrums have enough video on him now to work out specific plans for him, I would guess throughout his career to date he has been able to rely on simply being bigger and stronger. He is now being made to work harder at scrum time and he accordingly has less gas for the around the field stuff.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Interesting Hodge at 15 instead of Maddocks.

Uelese apparently isn’t far off, so a shame he’s still not quite there.

Cottrell at 7 shows they expect a war upfront

Maddocks and Hodge will swap on a regular basis, depending on the play.

Happy to see Gus still wearing the (C) armband. Thought he did well last week with the extra duties.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
A bit disappointed Pone is out, he was very good last week.

Anyone know what's up with Hardwick and RHP?

Bloody shame for Wilkin :(

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Awful about Wilkin, can't catch a break. Battle of the 8s should be interesting.

I hope that the Reds counterattacking ability wasn't just from being better in the heat.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Did we ever work out who the mystery injury was? Or was someone's physio mate spinning a yarn.

It was my physio that told me. He doesn't even follow the game.
But he did not know the name of the player injured, but is good friends with the doctor assisting Myers during surgery, who told him. He definitely (the physio) referred to the injury occurring during the. Japanese game though. He said the Japanese doctor who diagnosed the injury initially was of the opinion it was far less severe than it was.
Otherwise one could think it might have been Jordan Petaia but that was a weeks earlier against the the Crusaders.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The opposing scrums have enough video on him now to work out specific plans for him, I would guess throughout his career to date he has been able to rely on simply being bigger and stronger. He is now being made to work harder at scrum time and he accordingly has less gas for the around the field stuff.

Yep, and I still reckon one of best way to improve, is for him to stay solid, as I think that all the movement he puts in to disrupt his opponent (I assume), can sometimes work against you.