• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round One: Cheetahs v Lions @ Bloemfontein (15 Feb 14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
It may be early to call it, but I reckon that may be the end of the Cheetahs as a finals hope. The other three teams are not going to give the Lions that sort of gift.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Why did the Cheetahs not want to win that I wonder? Feeling charitable? Felt like making the season a bit more of a challenge?
Fucked if I know but seriously what were they thinking??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think the factor of surprise may have helped the Cheetahs a lot last year. Teams didn't expect them to have the starch that they had. This season I reckon they'll be taken a lot more seriously and their style of play analysed and countered. I'd peg them for 10th.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I think so to force field but this game was not an example of that. The Cheetahs had it in the bag and gave it away.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Their style of play isn't conducive to winning championships. The cute little pop balls between the forwards makes for entertaining rugby, but if those combinations are a little bit rusty it can go to hell quickly.

Lions had 7 super rugby debutants in the 15 last night. Cheetahs should have whooped them.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think so to force field but this game was not an example of that. The Cheetahs had it in the bag and gave it away.

I suppose when I say that teams will counter them what I mean is that competent teams will counter them. Surely the Lions have to be favourites for the wooden spoon.

I guess what I mean is that I don't think we will see the surprise wins they had over the Tahs, Stormers, Sharks, Reds and Blues.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah I agree. What shocked me about this game was in the last 10 mins with a lead, field position and possession, the number of times they simply gave the ball to the lions was staggering. Sarel's bizarre quick lineout where he threw it straight to the lions player, who mind you, was the only player there?!? And Le Roux's weird little grubbed straight to the lions fullback when they were up the right end of the field with minutes to go. Absolutely staggering!

lemoen

Ted Fahey (11)
Bloody South Africans thanking god all the time. It's sickening. I bet he doesn't see god in the gym or on the field training for him.

I'm not sure if you are joking, but I said something similar to a mate last year. Not just South Africans though :)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Lions produced another No 10 who kicks like Morne Steyne. Probably way down the pecking order atm but wouldn't be at all surprised if he makes the Boks' bench at least by the end of the year.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
Because god doesn't exist. Dah!

maybe, maybe not, but surely we can at least take pride in something WE do?

I never see the godbotherers blaming god for a mistake they made. No, they must then assume that he only ever takes the credit or glory, mistakes well that's down to us lowly humans.

I did not see the post match interview (that I assume prompted this) but I find it galling that when a try is scored 'arms are raised to praise the one on high'.

Man, has he not got better things to do in this world than help athletes do their job?

Like fixing poverty, child molestation and the like?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Man this is just getting weird. You guys have got it pretty sweet if its shit like that, that ticks you off. First world problem if ever I've seen one.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)

I never see the godbotherers blaming god for a mistake they made. No, they must then assume that he only ever takes the credit or glory, mistakes well that's down to us lowly humans.

I did not see the post match interview (that I assume prompted this) but I find it galling that when a try is scored 'arms are raised to praise the one on high'.

Man, has he not got better things to do in this world than help athletes do their job?

It's even worse in the states. The MMA fighters or musicians/actors. I'm just over it. Fuck god. Thank yourself for putting the effort on and tap yourself on the back.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Lions produced another No 10 who kicks like Morne Steyne. Probably way down the pecking order atm but wouldn't be at all surprised if he makes the Boks' bench at least by the end of the year.
He kicks way to much though. First option is to kick. Like Sias

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Man this is just getting weird. You guys have got it pretty sweet if its shit like that, that ticks you off. First world problem if ever I've seen one.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It was a great win by the Lions with a lot of nose-pickers in the team and many playing their first Super game—plus some decent unfashionable forwards like Franco vd Merwe and Derick Minnie (and if he is 111 kgs as the caption said, I will eat my hat).

They had a decent scrum at times too, and flyhalf Boshoff was like Dead-Eye Dick slotting goals.

But the Cheetahs put on a masterclass of how to lose a game, as the Tahs have done a lot of in recent years—including missing a few kicks at goal.

I'm surprised that Adriaan Strauss, one of the best natural captains in the competition, didn't pull his Cheetahs together near the end and put a stop to the madcap stuff. They were playing like they were behind by two points instead of being in front.

Willie le Roux is my favourite SAffer player and was so a while before his prominence, but like Campese did, he can have some atrocious moments in 80 minutes, can't he?

Poor old Naka Drotske: I thought the medics would have to come into the Cheetahs' coaches' box at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.