• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Actually depending on exactly how ambitious the ARU wants to get I wouldn't mind them looking into a Asia-Pacific circuit. Before anyone cans it consider AliSports recent announcement. They are looking to invest in Rugby and a part of that is content.

We could run our 5 Super Rugby franchises plus Singapore (playing out of Jalan Besar Stadium capacity 8,000. Which would be a good size), Hong Kong (out of Mong Kok Stadium) and the Sunwolves.

Both run men's and women's. That's 8 games an event. For about 3 hours of entertainment. All in advantageoue tinezones. All featuring games with Australian teams in the program. Could easily be run over 4-6 weeks.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
That could work provided the super teams are there for a branding and training facility perspective. You would want it to focus on players targeting the world circuit rather than Super Rugby preseason

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
That could work provided the super teams are there for a branding and training facility perspective. You would want it to focus on players targeting the world circuit rather than Super Rugby preseason

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Absolutely. You wouldn't use it as a training tool. Like the WS it would require a completely different kind of athlete and dedicated squad. From an Australian perspective it could very well be used as an audition process for talent wishing to push for a squad place for the WS team.

And yes, the use of the Aus Super Rugby franchises plus the Sunwolves would be primarily for the purpose of branding and access to facilities. I chose Hong Kong because they actually have a full time 7s program and Singapore as their is a history of 7s in the city-state.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
World Rugby have announced some trial laws that will apply to the new HSBC series:

• Finals should last no longer than seven minutes each half (rationale is player welfare – the evidence shows that a disproportionate number of injuries take place in the second half of finals. Injuries per minute are higher in the second half of finals as opposed to the first half and throughout normal matches of seven minutes each way.)
• Referee Video Referral (RVR) to be taken out of on-field referees' hands with the ultimate decision being taken by the TMO – often difficult to see the screen and make a call. The RVR protocol remains unchanged. The TMO will be one of the pool of tournament referees
• The restart kick must be taken within 30 seconds of a penalty kick or dropped goal being attempted where the kick is successful or goes dead.
• Teams must form a lineout within 15 seconds from the time the referee indicates the place where the throw-in will take place.
• Teams must be ready to form a scrum within 15 seconds from the time the referee indicates the mark of the scrum.
• A penalty or free-kick must be taken within 30 seconds of being awarded.

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/world-rugby-announce-new-law-trials/

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Like the first change. Always thought it was weird the whole tournament was carried out with seven minute halves, and then for the GF they changed it to ten.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So much potential - idea of Oz circuit building in existing tournaments sounds like a good idea. particularly like the idea of this being run from say oct to jan

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So much potential - idea of Oz circuit building in existing tournaments sounds like a good idea. particularly like the idea of this being run from say oct to jan

I'm watching the stream and can't help of thinking what a circuit might look like and where it could be played.

Thinking of an independent circuit and locations we could go Queensland, NSW, ACT, Victoria, WA, NT, SA and National Indigenous to start. In terms of venues we go Bond Uni, Pittwater, Vikings, Rugby Park in Darwin, and a leg in Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne. Run over two months.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Watching the Nationals and following on from my previous post it would be great if the ARU could engage with the respective sports institutes in the states and territories to help establish individual 7s programs. Programs that could focus on both talent identification and developmemt.

In a perfect world you would run the programs running male and female squads from U16/18/20 and Opens. Run their season during the NRC to largely be based around NRC games.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
If you follow the Aussie women's players on Instagram you'll notice they are staying in an incredible hotel in Dubai this week. Most of them have a few thousand followers on their accounts.
They are training hard, but in their down time they're enjoying time by the pool, massages, sight seeing, raving about their hotel rooms. It looks fantastic. A brilliant advert for the travel and experience 7s can give you.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
If you follow the Aussie women's players on Instagram you'll notice they are staying in an incredible hotel in Dubai this week. Most of them have a few thousand followers on their accounts.
They are training hard, but in their down time they're enjoying time by the pool, massages, sight seeing, raving about their hotel rooms. It looks fantastic. A brilliant advert for the travel and experience 7s can give you.

I was beginning to wonder if they were there to compete or whether they were on an all expenses paid holiday. Pretty sweet life as a 7s athlete.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The women seemed to get there early. The men have only just arrived this last 24 hours or so.

The women deserve a little spoiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk