• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
He's playing for Eastwood in the Shute Shield, had a couple of brilliant touches in Eastwood's win over Sydney Uni (who are leading the comp), unsure whether he'll persist with 15s at Club level or move back to the glamour of 7s.

He looks to have bulked up a helluva lot.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Walsh wants to overachieve, the WC format cuts no slack.
Parahi re-signs as Aussie men target 'ruthless' sevens World Cup bid
By Georgina Robinson​
9 July 2018​
Australia must sharpen a ruthless mindset to convert their talent to results at next weekend's Sevens World Cup in the United States.​
That's the view taken by new coach Tim Walsh, who took over from predecessor Andy Friend in April and is now looking for the Australian men to over-achieve in San Francisco next week.​
… Walsh is putting his stamp all over the team, re-signing Jesse Parahi and Tom Connor through til 2020 and bringing back former squad members Henry Hutchison and Nick Malouf.​
Hutchison spent a frustrating season in Super Rugby, failing to crack the Rebels' 23, while Malouf was a hit at UK Premiership club Leicester for the past two years.​
… "That takes resilience, maturity, ruthlessness with standards. Both Henry Hutchison and Nick Malouf bring a massive amount of experience but also a bit of ruthlessness and a point of difference. Coming from Leicester and the Rebels, they also bring a different professionalism, different learnings from those professional environments. It's maturity, really."​
Australia name their men's and women's World Cup squads this week before flying to San Francisco on Saturday for a week's run-in to the tournament.​
Meanwhile, women's coach John Manenti received a major boost with all players declared fit and available for selection on Monday, apart from Dom du Toit (collarbone).​
Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ess-sevens-world-cup-bid-20180709-p4zqem.html

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just on the RWC 7s. Apparently they've sold 90k tickets to date.

Awesome news!

And in what will be a win for the good guys. Charlotte Caslick will not be featuring in the NRLW. https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...-focus-on-tokyo-olympics-20180713-p4zrcm.html

Awsomer news! Hopefully her teammates also tell NRLW (politely, of course) "Fuck off, I've got an Olympic Gold Medal to win next year". I've not heard anything about the Warriors, who will apparently have a team in NRLW, targeting any of our women but if they do I hope they get a big "yeah, nah, bro, I've got an Olympic Gold medal to win next year"

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Awesome news!

Awsomer news! Hopefully her teammates also tell NRLW (politely, of course) "Fuck off, I've got an Olympic Gold Medal to win next year". I've not heard anything about the Warriors, who will apparently have a team in NRLW, targeting any of our women but if they do I hope they get a big "yeah, nah, bro, I've got an Olympic Gold medal to win next year"

Yeah, I don't see the appeal of it. Come play in our 4 team competition for 6 - 8 weeks for a little bit of money vs full time training and competing around the world being paid significantly more. At least for now. I know many NZ fans aren't overly keen for a Trans-Tasman competition in the men's but I really think both Unions should be seriously entertaining joining forces to create a TT or even Asia-Pacific Women's 7s circuit/league.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ getting a little off-topic but NZ Women's XV's NPC will have 12 teams this year, mostly semi-pro, the most since 2006 when it was 100% amateur. No sign of a corresponding 7's circuit just yet but maybe that could change with RWC and/ or OG success. Anecdotally the CG Gold has had an effect at juniors level so here's hoping.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
^^^^^^ getting a little off-topic but NZ Women's XV's NPC will have 12 teams this year, mostly semi-pro, the most since 2006 when it was 100% amateur. No sign of a corresponding 7's circuit just yet but maybe that could change with RWC and/ or OG success. Anecdotally the CG Gold has had an effect at juniors level so here's hoping.

That's awesome. I'm hoping to see the Super W grow next season and beyond. Would love to see the likes of the Drua running a women's team in it and for it to become a double round alongside the remuneration side of the equation being properly addressed.

Our 7s format is expanding from 8 to 10 teams and another round. Hopefully in time we'll see 8 -10 rounds involved in that as well.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Walsh wants to overachieve, the WC format cuts no slack.
Parahi re-signs as Aussie men target 'ruthless' sevens World Cup bid
By Georgina Robinson​
9 July 2018​
Australia must sharpen a ruthless mindset to convert their talent to results at next weekend's Sevens World Cup in the United States.​
That's the view taken by new coach Tim Walsh, who took over from predecessor Andy Friend in April and is now looking for the Australian men to over-achieve in San Francisco next week.​
… Walsh is putting his stamp all over the team, re-signing Jesse Parahi and Tom Connor through til 2020 and bringing back former squad members Henry Hutchison and Nick Malouf.​
Hutchison spent a frustrating season in Super Rugby, failing to crack the Rebels' 23, while Malouf was a hit at UK Premiership club Leicester for the past two years.​
… "That takes resilience, maturity, ruthlessness with standards. Both Henry Hutchison and Nick Malouf bring a massive amount of experience but also a bit of ruthlessness and a point of difference. Coming from Leicester and the Rebels, they also bring a different professionalism, different learnings from those professional environments. It's maturity, really."​
Australia name their men's and women's World Cup squads this week before flying to San Francisco on Saturday for a week's run-in to the tournament.​
Meanwhile, women's coach John Manenti received a major boost with all players declared fit and available for selection on Monday, apart from Dom du Toit (collarbone).​
Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ess-sevens-world-cup-bid-20180709-p4zqem.html
He seems to have identified the squad weakness relatively quickly.
If he can foster accountability and competition for jumpers,things will improve dramatically.IMHO

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
That's awesome. I'm hoping to see the Super W grow next season and beyond. Would love to see the likes of the Drua running a women's team in it and for it to become a double round alongside the remuneration side of the equation being properly addressed.

Our 7s format is expanding from 8 to 10 teams and another round. Hopefully in time we'll see 8 -10 rounds involved in that as well.

I'm quoting my own post here but I have seen an few interesting things occurring regarding funding initiatives for the USA XV's teams in particular the women's team emerge on the last few days. A group of prominent US Rugby personalities have launched 'USA Eagles XV's'. It is in essence a boosters club for the two senior XV's squad but to be more precise primarily toward the Women's Eagles XV's squad which receives very little funding in comparison to their male counterparts.

So my question is, does anyone think this sort of set up with a direct focus on supporting the women's side of the game would work here? I know there has been a few corporate based initiatives but I'm talking more along the lines of a more open set up focused at developing opportunities for our elite level women in particular the likes of the Wallaroos and Super W participants. Especially now in a time of increased competition from other sporting codes.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good move. Would be great to see the other competition follow suit. Then they could look to select a State team to compete in a national championship that could be used as a direct talent id pathway.

As the article says...

“The competition will be used as a selection tool for the Queensland Men’s Sevens teams ahead of the National Sevens Championships in December”

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
As the article says.

“The competition will be used as a selection tool for the Queensland Men’s Sevens teams ahead of the National Sevens Championships in December”

I overlooked that part. However, I'd still like to see this concept repeated in every state followed by a National Championship series rather than a one off weekend.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No,they are clearly my words not theirs.

It makes sense for it grow organically.
There's no upside in building a Queen Mary to cross a pond.