• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Looks like the Sydney 7's leg is moving out to Homebush whilst Allianz gets the knockdown/rebuild treatment

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
John Manenti has been appointed coach of the Womens Sevens team, according to an email I just received from Eastwood.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As expected Australia & NZ women unbeaten in Pool play & on opposite sides of the draw. Only way Australia don't win the Series is if they don't make the Final & NZ win it. I'm thinking your ladies will be drinking some nicely chilled champagne in our wee hours tomorrow even if NZ manage to tip them over in the Final.

FTR the QF are:

NZ v Spain
Canada v USA
-----------------------
Australia v Fiji
England v France

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Women's KO:

NZ 38-0 Spain
Canada 26-24 USA
Australia 22-19 Fiji
France 48-7 England

NZ34-7 Canada
Australia 21-17 France

Australia win the series, NZ v Australia Final tomorrow morning (1:30 AEST, I think).

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Our girls got out of jail v Fiji.
I'm tipping a Kiwi win in the final.

Men failed to get out of the pool again.
Longbottoms lack of knowledge of the laws cost us dearly v Spain,when he batted one dead to concede a penalty try.

We play Russia in the gimp quarters, for the punters,Russia have a much better chance to beat us than the 5.50 on offer suggests.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fiji beaten in the men's QF so South African retain their series title & go on to wing the Leg but needed extra time to get past Spain in a huge QF.

QF:
England 19-17 Fiji
Canada 19-5 Ireland
NZ 33-7 USA
SA 15-10

SF:
England 26-12 Canada
SA 24-12 NZ

Bronze:
NZ 38-5 Canada

Final:
SA 24-14

Australia beaten in their Challenge Trophy SF by Argentina who went on to beat Wales in the Final.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Fiji got dudded by the referee in that quarter final. In the lead up to England's winning try at the end he missed an England knock on, and awarded them a pretty dubious penalty that should have been a fair turnover to Fiji. The Fijians also shot themselves in the foot a minute or two earlier by giving away the ball after an attempted grubber and regather off an attacking scrum well inside England's half. Was such a stupid play.

Credit to South Africa though. They really stepped up a lot after almost losing to Spain in the quarters.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Tough couple of tournaments for the new coach. Hopefully with a full offseason we can put together a team to crack the top 3

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Tough couple of tournaments for the new coach. Hopefully with a full offseason we can put together a team to crack the top 3

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Any new coach will want to make some changes, and the players and support staff will take time to adjust.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
agree. A wonderful performance in Singapore to reach the final and come within a minute of defeating Fiji, but it all went a bit tits up after that. I think the rookies started to fade a bit - Ben O'Donnell was excellent but was contained particularly in this tournament. Longbottem was no where near as effective as early tournaments but will be valuable moving forward. Walsh will get the best of him I reckon.

A good off-season building the program how he wants will be key. I wonder if he makes a play for the likes of Hutchison and / or Pama Fou to come back?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
How is Pama Fou travelling. Any problems post-injury.

Was a wonderful 7s player. It’s a real pity he couldn’t transfer to 15s but would love to see him back in the 7s squad.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
How is Pama Fou travelling. Any problems post-injury.

Was a wonderful 7s player. It’s a real pity he couldn’t transfer to 15s but would love to see him back in the 7s squad.

He's playing for Eastwood in the Shute Shield, had a couple of brilliant touches in Eastwood's win over Sydney Uni (who are leading the comp), unsure whether he'll persist with 15s at Club level or move back to the glamour of 7s.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Spain. Got the wood on us.
Yep, them and too many others ATM.

South Africa have shown that a good program ensures that World class players can be replaced effectively.
Ireland are a revelation as to what a proper development program can achieve.

The new guy is a certainty to improve things IMO.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hutchison would be good addition back for world cup. Loggjamed behind too many wing options at rebels so good move.

Not a bad player but feel bit too small for modern day super rugby winger.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeh it's great news, Malouf looks like he will be back as well. Overall could have our best team yet coming into next seasons competition and then the Olympics

Would be nice to see the 7s boys involved in the NRC at some capacity just like the kiwi and SA guys are with their competitions, think its good for their development.