• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
A final point, if I may. I wonder how many of us would drive a car if we were over .05? There is a reason that limits like this exist. Our judgement and decision making ability are affected when we are affected by alcohol (or other substances).

I wonder what tests on the perpetrator will show? On the fairly reasonable assumption that the assailant was affected by alcohol or another intoxicating substance, I believe that a prudent person should steer clear of him and his ilk. Especially in the early hours.

Is there a point during an evening's celebrating when somebody says, "come on guys, let's call it a day. If you want something to eat, call room service. Big day tomorrow."

This is a sporting team, preparing for one of the biggest events of their lives. Celebrate afterwards.

Somebody in the team (including officials etc who are part of the set-up) should be the designated "driver", even if the group is walking, and even if they go nowhere outside the hotel. That person should be under .05. Old fashioned? Who cares.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
giphy.gif

T

TOCC

A final point, if I may. I wonder how many of us would drive a car if we were over .05? There is a reason that limits like this exist. Our judgement and decision making ability are affected when we are affected by alcohol (or other substances).

I wonder what tests on the perpetrator will show? On the fairly reasonable assumption that the assailant was affected by alcohol or another intoxicating substance, I believe that a prudent person should steer clear of him and his ilk. Especially in the early hours.

Is there a point during an evening's celebrating when somebody says, "come on guys, let's call it a day. If you want something to eat, call room service. Big day tomorrow."

This is a sporting team, preparing for one of the biggest events of their lives. Celebrate afterwards.

Somebody in the team (including officials etc who are part of the set-up) should be the designated "driver", even if the group is walking, and even if they go nowhere outside the hotel. That person should be under .05. Old fashioned? Who cares.

I really don't know what to make of this post.. aren't you the bloke always criticising others of conducting simplistic analysis without knowing all the facts.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I really don't know what to make of this post.. aren't you the bloke always criticising others of conducting simplistic analysis without knowing all the facts.

The critical known fact is that some blokes who are participating in what I would expect to be a very demanding tournament in 2 weeks were out on the tiles at 3am.
Do you think it will emerge that they were testing their night vision or doing some hill sprints at Cheika's stairs? If not the other facts are irrelevant to the perfectly legitimate question of what the fuck they were doing out at the time at this time.

T

TOCC

The critical known fact is that some blokes who are participating in what I would expect to be a very demanding tournament in 2 weeks were out on the tiles at 3am.
Do you think it will emerge that they were testing their night vision or doing some hill sprints at Cheika's stairs? If not the other facts are irrelevant to the perfectly legitimate question of what the fuck they were doing out at the time at this time.

There’s a difference between ‘perfectly legitimate questions’ and ‘simplistic analysis’ as wamberal likes to point out.

Personally, if they weren’t drunk and they had the Friday off I don’t see it as being a grave offence, not ideal but not the end of the world. This whole scenario reminds me of Beale and O’Connor and their infamous Hungry Jacks visit at 4am during he B&I Lions tour. Difference there was it was just a few days before the game.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
two things I've observed in my 3am visits to kebab shops.
1. The only sober people I've seen there,are behind the counter or an occasional taxi driver.
2. Don't gob off at the guy behind the counter,then ask for a bit of chilli on the kebab.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There’s a difference between ‘perfectly legitimate questions’ and ‘simplistic analysis’ as wamberal likes to point out.

Personally, if they weren’t drunk and they had the Friday off I don’t see it as being a grave offence, not ideal but not the end of the world. This whole scenario reminds me of Beale and O’Connor and their infamous Hungry Jacks visit at 4am during he B&I Lions tour. Difference there was it was just a few days before the game.
We substantially agree: why, when you could do what is ideal would you choose a course that’s less than ideal?
We probably part company on my next point, which is that this and the hungry jacks episode and all the other indiscretions over the years are symptoms of a sense of entitlement. I throw the Pocock sabbatical in there too.
The long suffering but ever dwindling band of rugby supporters who PAY these guys (one way or another) are entitled to expect a bit more than “we’re not playing for 2 weeks, let’s get out there”.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Did anybody else see the interview on ABC news? Chucky says that he believes he can get back on the field this season. Good luck, mate, every genuine rugby supporter in the world would love to see that happen.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Not sure if it was ABC, but I did see him do a presser.
I was struck at how fragile he looked.
I really hope he can get there,he deserves to retire in that setting.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Probably appropriate to post Friend's comments on why they were out at that hour:

"The night was probably in all my years of rugby, one of the most special nights I've been involved in," said Friend.

"It was basically a beautiful surprise and farewell party for me, so it was very, very touching.
"It was a beautiful night, there was a lot of emotion showed, a lot of kind words spoken about and sadly it finished in a not so good way."
"Yep I get it, people will assume because you're out at 3 o'clock in the morning that you're doing something wrong," he said.
"I've been a coach for 23 years [and] I've been to a lot of those events where you smell something is going wrong. That was not that night, it was just a sharing of good times and emotion.
"So people will make their own assessments, but I will assure you, it was not a boozy affair that was going to turn sour."

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Nobody is suggesting that this was a boozy affair. Certainly not me.

However, there would always be people on the streets who are boozed up, or roided up, or whatever.

There must always be a risk of something unpleasant happening. Not everybody is capable of holding their booze. Better to avoid them, IMHO. And that is absolutely not a criticism, it is an observation.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Nobody is suggesting that this was a boozy affair. Certainly not me.

However, there would always be people on the streets who are boozed up, or roided up, or whatever.

There must always be a risk of something unpleasant happening. Not everybody is capable of holding their booze. Better to avoid them, IMHO. And that is absolutely not a criticism, it is an observation.

i wouldn't even go that far, my problem is purely what the hell are you going out that late, that close to the second biggest tournament a 7's player can play in. What sort of farewell dinner needs to go to 3AM? What sort of coach would endorse his players being out that late so close to competition.

I've got a few friends that are competing at comm games and a few other random athletes i follow on social media, none of them are out partying, they're doing board nights, having team dinners, sightseeing, movie nights etc.

Can you imagine the All Blacks pulling shit like this?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And if they were in Melbourne you'd have to be wary of swarming hordes of machete wielding African gangs.........

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
As much as I see your point Slim, I don't think being out that late was a good idea.

I'm all for players having lives and being allowed to celebrate milestones. They are adults and need to be responsible for their actions.

But boozy or not, being out at 3am a couple of weeks before the Comm Games........ I'm not sure. I think there is a line somewhere, but 3am is a little bit past that for mine. It's very late, and it certainly won't do them any good.

And of course at that hour you open yourself up to the exact situation that occurred. Some pissed idiot clonked Stannard in the head. Is that Stannard's fault? Of course not. But still. I can't help but think that they should have been at home by then.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
But boozy or not, being out at 3am a couple of weeks before the Comm Games.... I'm not sure. I think there is a line somewhere, but 3am is a little bit past that for mine. It's very late, and it certainly won't do them any good.

With how busy and frequent the Sevens guys play, when is it a good time for them to let their hair down? They played a competition a week or two before this piss up and two weeks prior to the next competition is plenty of time for recovery.

Quite frankly I'm surprised you blokes didn't say Shawn Mackay and the Brumbies should have expected to be run over after leaving a nightclub at 4am.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
With how busy and frequent the Sevens guys play, when is it a good time for them to let their hair down? They played a competition a week or two before this piss up and two weeks prior to the next competition is plenty of time for recovery.

Quite frankly I'm surprised you blokes didn't say Shawn Mackay and the Brumbies should have expected to be run over after leaving a nightclub at 4am.

Wow kicked that up a notch there didn’t you