• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
With how busy and frequent the Sevens guys play, when is it a good time for them to let their hair down? They played a competition a week or two before this piss up and two weeks prior to the next competition is plenty of time for recovery.

Quite frankly I'm surprised you blokes didn't say Shawn Mackay and the Brumbies should have expected to be run over after leaving a nightclub at 4am.

That's a pretty ridiculous thing to say.

What I would say is that it's entirely possible to 'let your hair down' and still be at home before 3am.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Soap Dodgers are our nemesis. Along with quite a few others, I have to admit.

But good on our boys, they have had a pretty tough year.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fiji 24-19 NZ so now we're playing for fifth. Fiji v SA SF should be a cracker, haven't really seen much of this tournament so not sure who is traveling better. Straya 7-5 Spain at HT, Ringinland v Samoa up next.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Japan 29-14 France in the Challenge, good sign for them ahead of their return to Core Team status next year. They'll play Argentina or Russia for 13th.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Argentina, ranked fourth coming into the tournament, only just get past 15th-ranked Russia in the other Challenge SF. Shows the gap between the big three (Fiji, SA, NZ on a good weekend) & the pack. For the good of the game we need the next group of teams, Australia included, to be knocking them over on a more regular basis.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Argentina, ranked fourth coming into the tournament, only just get past 15th-ranked Russia in the other Challenge SF. Shows the gap between the big three (Fiji, SA, NZ on a good weekend) & the pack. For the good of the game we need the next group of teams, Australia included, to be knocking them over on a more regular basis.

The gaps not that big. It's more a question of consistency. And the big three are just that. More consistent. The next 4 or 5 on the table when they put it together can and have gotten the better of them. It's just a matter of achieving that level of consistency. Beyond that. The next four below them can pull the odd upset out of the bag here and there. For them it's about further development and experience.

Overall, the WS has developed into an ever increasingly competitive competition. All WR (World Rugby) need to do now is transform it the profitable venture it really should be.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ if the former happens I think the latter becomes almost a given, esp if USA & other large economies are achieving that level of consistency.

And the gap is there, Argentina beating NZ or SA is still a headline so unless & until that changes the necessary competitive competition remains a work in progress.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
^^^^^^ if the former happens I think the latter becomes almost a given, esp if USA & other large economies are achieving that level of consistency.

And the gap is there, Argentina beating NZ or SA is still a headline so unless & until that changes the necessary competitive competition remains a work in progress.

Never said it didn't exist. Just that it's not as big as many may suggest. Which is a good thing. You want it to be as competitive as possible.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How the fuck is that a try? Kenyan's knee touched the ground & he just got up & kept going with at least one of our guys hanging onto him the whole time. Not convinced he's got it down, either: simultaneous grounding imo.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Heartbreaker!

They showed plenty of ticker tonight, very unlucky to go down after the bell.

Not only ticker, they looked really well organised. And played pretty clever footy, particularly against the Soap Dodgers. I thought they would blow us away, but they looked pretty ineffective.