• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It worked with the girls because we were ahead of the curve.
It's much easier introducing players with no experience when they are playing against other teams with little or no experience.

It's arguable about the standard of our finishers.
Henry is everyone's favourite, put him back on the wing.
Taylor has done well with limited opportunities.
They are not flyers,but they are at a minimum,adequate.
It's quite clear there is a glaring weakness with our ball players.
That's where we are losing games.
How about we address the biggest need first?

Bustad Arce

Frank Row (1)
Foxtel have chosen not to show the Las Vegas sevens live today. Although it's suggested that it's on Foxtel play it's not showing on the guide. Can anyone help with a live stream link? Thanks in advance

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
According the rugby.com.au:

FoxSports will not be broadcasting the first day of competition, but will be showing a highlights package at 10.30pm on Saturday.

Bustad Arce

Frank Row (1)
^^^thanks for the tip. I've been searching everywhere. The women are being broadcast on the world rugby Facebook site but maybe the men are a different arrangement.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
WR (World Rugby) don't live stream into places they've already sold broadcast rights for (fair enough, too) & as Foxtel are showing six or seven Super Rugby games today & into tomorrow more-or-less one after the other I think it's understandable if they don't show the 7's.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah it's a pretty big day of sport here. Cricket in India, NRL, Super Rugby, A-League, Supercars, AFL and surfing all live this arvo.

Should be fucking brilliant, though it's a shame we can't have the 7s too. I'd need to find a 5th screen.

Learned One

Allen Oxlade (6)
^^^^^just another example of zero strategy in recruitment.
we don't need to upgrade our finishers, it's ball playing, where we are weak.

Well maybe Andy Friend and his Sevens pathway manager should spend more time watching their own code. Last weekend at the Australian Club Championship there was a fantastic playmaker in UQ halfback , Sorovi and as for truly flying wingers Syd Uni's Narracott blitzed them. Did either of these players get a phone call from Andy ?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah it's a pretty big day of sport here. Cricket in India, NRL, Super Rugby, A-League, Supercars, AFL and surfing all live this arvo.

Should be fucking brilliant, though it's a shame we can't have the 7s too. I'd need to find a 5th screen.

And then there's the Stade Brianche (cycling) live at 12 o'clock and a couple of Aviva Premiership games live to follow. How can anyone think that Foxtel isn't worth the cost.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
WR (World Rugby) don't live stream into places they've already sold broadcast rights for (fair enough, too) & as Foxtel are showing six or seven Super Rugby games today & into tomorrow more-or-less one after the other I think it's understandable if they don't show the 7's.
If you have a VPN you can watch on worldrugby.org

I was watching the women's from my virtual loungeroom in Denmark earlier today :p

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Can we now agree that those same traits that saw the Aussies Women's development team almost beaten by Sydney Uni in the Darwin 7s is more then just a blip on the radar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I can agree that our girls have not improved, but the kiwis have considerably.

I can live with them making the final 90% of the time, as their ceiling.

Their deficiencies are not in the same league as the debacle that is mens 7's.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)

Bit harsh there, the men's team nearly pulled out one from the bag v the Saffies. It was very clear to me that the boys afterwards were very dejected to lose a match that, had the ball bounced the right way for them, they would've won.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Our boys playing well & testing SA in one game,is not evidence that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

It's a well resourced program that has been poorly assembled,selected and coached.

T

TOCC

I'd argue that the women's team is a comparatively far better resourced program then the men's.. Women's Sevens have some of the best wages in Australian sport, and they are paid well above their XV's friends.

Men's Sevens is essentially the 6th professional rugby side in Australia, and it's the poorer cousin of the Super Rugby teams, wages on offer are less and the perception is certainly that Super Rugby is where you want to be, not 7's. Aussie 7's is still considered and used as a stepping stone for players to earn XVs contracts.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It's all relative
Where does 7's rank in the UK, France,SA or even Argentina for mens participants?
It's pretty much a stepping stone everywhere.

I note that USA were VERY unlucky in semi v SA
That's not evidence that they are top shelf either.
...one swallow doesn't make a summer

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

100% ILTW. Change of NZ's 7s womens' coach post Rio has been key. Together, he and the team have materially improved: general error rates; breakdown speed and, crucially, effectiveness when there; accuracy of passing, mid-field attacking prowess....and more.

Our girls' skill base appears static.

The truth of most elite teams/sports: you die away (slowly or rapidly) if you don't get better.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
You may like to watch ILTW, but do you watch hard enough? the mens last four games were against Argies and the top three ranked teams. They beat the Argies and came with-in a whisker of the other three. I'd call that genuine improvement