• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship 2012: Our Backline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We just won a series against the 6 Nations grandslam champs with one hand tied behind our back.
That hand being Horwill, Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor), Beale(for the important part) and Mitchell being unavailable.

The return of Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale will give our backline some big teeth.

Genia
Cooper
Ioane
McCabe
Horne
JOC (James O'Connor)
Beale

bench - White, Barnes, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Mitchell

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Cooper is a simply fantastic attacker, for 50% of a rugby game he is near the best there is.

For the other 50% I just want the prick to man up, bend his back, tackle and not be a liability.
What? Like he did to Jono Owen on the line? Is that the type of stuff he should do?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
We don't. (Well, most of us, a couple people here aside.) I think those two would've been the walk up starters for the Wallabies in the June internationals if we could pick them.

But I don't think we should therefore choose to play a defensive combination at centre and believe that it is enough that we shut them down whenever possible. Those guys have the ability to unleash their dangerous outside players when the opportunity comes up. Our current centres will struggle to do so, no matter how good their defensive performance is.

And watching the Wallabies have a mainly impotent attack, when their backline used to be their strength, is not something I am too keen on.

The biggest thing from the Wales series that stood out to me (particularly game 1 and 2) was that our forwards clearly got the upper hand (apart from the scrum) and yet we struggled to put Wales away. Game 1 was our best attacking performance on the back or forwards that we're getting the welsh on the back foot consistently and yet we didn't really score a try from the backline. One genia solo, one forwards pick and go, one genia to McCabe on the angle. No tries came from further that 2 passes off the ruck!

There is a clear deficiency in our attack and a cant understand how some people just don't see it?!

Beale will help this a lot, but I am with ash - we need one of our centre to give us more.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I've been saying, he's really bulked up and become more physical.

The bloke is on another level in attack. Not seeing him every week i had or gotten how good he is with all the talk of alternative 5/8's. His defense last night was good, he'll become a complete player over the next 3 years.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
What? Like he did to Jono Owen on the line? Is that the type of stuff he should do?

He made a good tackle on Gerard just previous to that as well, and a front on tackle on one of their locks that dropped him quickly.

Not sure if fat prop watches last nights game, or is more talking about previous games.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
He made a good tackle on Gerard just previous to that as well, and a front on tackle on one of their locks that dropped him quickly.

Not sure if fat prop watches last nights game, or is more talking about previous games.

There was a tackle as well where he stole the ball while tackling. Anyone remember whether it was a forward or a back he did that too?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I have only seen the first half of last nights game, my challenge with Cooper is that he is still being hidden in defence.

Now the Wobs can afford that against quite a few sides, but against the ABs (the best) there is no place to hide, they will find you out, isolate you and make your weakness pay.

The frustrating thing for me is the guy is a big, fit, strong unit. He should be able to do it in the line.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
From memory, Quade didn't pop up at fullback too much last night. He seemed to occupy to 10 channel in defence a lot more than he has in the past. His biggest problem when defending at 10 is that he attacks the ball, rather than focusing on getting the man down. Invariably, this will lead to the runner bouncing Quade off. What he needs to focus on is getting the man down, and let his loose forwards attack the ball once the runner is down.

Quade guides the team around the park well, and has really started to underplay his hand. I really like that. Beale is doing much the same when he is at 10. They are setting up their runners in space, attacking the holes and keeping the defence guessing.

Beiber isn't able to do that. He is great with ball in hand, but he fits the profile of an outside back. Beiber is the guy you want hitting the gap, not trying to put someone through it.

I would like to see how McCabe would work off of Cooper, now that McCabe has started to settle into 12. O/C is still a concern for me, and I am not sure what the answer there is. I would like to see Taps have a run there, but that might just be Red bias. Horne hasn't been spectacular so far, but he hasn't been completely woeful either. He has been solid. I think who our 13 should be really depends on who 10 and 12 are.

Picking a backline at the moment is certainly tough work. There are so many potential combinations and variations. I will give it a crack though:

9. Genia
10. Cooper (provided he stays in the 10 channel on defence)
11. Diggers
12. McCabe
13. Horne? Taps? AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)? Finger? Ma'afu?
14. Beiber
15. Beale

Geez, you could even move Diggers into 13 and put Drew Mitchell into 11 if Mitchell is fit and firing. Not sure how well Diggers would hold up at 13 in international rugby though. And then there is the issue of where to play Barnes. His form against Wales was quite good, so you can't really leave him out either.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
I was about to type my list ..... but it just looks like the Reds + Beale.

Reserves/Alternates:
Barnes (10, 12)
McCabe (12, 14) anyone seen him play 13? I think he has a bigger game than the crashball he's running now.

Chris Feauai-Sautia is also better than Vuna 8 days a week.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I have only seen the first half of last nights game, my challenge with Cooper is that he is still being hidden in defence.

Now the Wobs can afford that against quite a few sides, but against the ABs (the best) there is no place to hide, they will find you out, isolate you and make your weakness pay.

The frustrating thing for me is the guy is a big, fit, strong unit. He should be able to do it in the line.

The Red Baron mentions it above, but there were occasions last night where Cooper defended in the line, even on set piece. I distinctly remember one in the first half where the Rebels had a line out down their end of the field and Morahan fielded the ball from a clearing kick. Cooper was defending in the line.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I would like to see how McCabe would work off of Cooper, now that McCabe has started to settle into 12. O/C is still a concern for me, and I am not sure what the answer there is. I would like to see Taps have a run there, but that might just be Red bias. Horne hasn't been spectacular so far, but he hasn't been completely woeful either. He has been solid. I think who our 13 should be really depends on who 10 and 12 are.

I bet McCabe wouldn't mind having a few more goes outside of Cooper as well, not to mention Horne, who would probably have the biggest benefit.

The backline plays from the Reds in the first half last night, while quite simple, showed what the wallabies are missing.

Sometimes Harris went to 10 with Cooper either behind him (second wave) or just a bit wider. Sometimes both Harris and Fa'ainga ran inside dummy lines with Cooper in the second wave. Simple things, but mixing it up keeps the opposition on their toes and no matter what they did, Cooper always had options - both inside and outside.

Harris' play last night also showed what can be achieved with a 12 that can run, pass, kick and tackle. The most similar player to Harris in the Wallaby line up is Barnes.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I bet McCabe wouldn't mind having a few more goes outside of Cooper as well, not to mention Horne, who would probably have the biggest benefit.

The backline plays from the Reds in the first half last night, while quite simple, showed what the wallabies are missing.

Sometimes Harris went to 10 with Cooper either behind him (second wave) or just a bit wider. Sometimes both Harris and Fa'ainga ran inside dummy lines with Cooper in the second wave. Simple things, but mixing it up keeps the opposition on their toes and no matter what they did, Cooper always had options - both inside and outside.

Harris' play last night also showed what can be achieved with a 12 that can run, pass, kick and tackle. The most similar player to Harris in the Wallaby line up is Barnes.

Bang on Scotty. Our attack was layered, but really simple at the same time. To me, that is (was) the calling card of Australian rugby. Clever, thought-out back play that would cut a defence to ribbons. All facilitated by efficient forward play. It also speaks volumes of the game plan.

I see your point about Barnes, a second playmaker at 12 frees up Cooper and helps both players in their decision making. Having Barnes come in at 1st receiver, with Cooper in the second wave is appealing. I can imagine a scenario of Barnes slotting into 1st receiver, one of our wingers (lets say Diggers) running as a decoy, only for the ball to go out to Cooper in the second wave. Cooper would have a forward runner and the O/C running off Cooper. Beale in this situation could slot in between the O/C and other winger. Options everywhere. If the ball goes to Beale, then you have an overlap.

The key in my little fantasy is support. Our backs need to really work on their support lines. They really need to anticipate the break and support accordingly. Too often they are stopping and reloading. I think someone on the boards has mentioned this already. Simple stuff like looping after the pass creates overlaps.

If McCabe plays at 12, then a 13 who can play ball is preferable. A guy playing wide that has the skills to put others in space is worth his weight in gold. Think Conrad Smith. Beale can fill that role from fullback though. So maybe we can persist in that situation with a rock at 13.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I thought the Reds players in response to the recent wallabies displays were calculated and impressive.

Cooper showed he can play a conservative game - the style Barnes plays, but also add the crazy stuff as well. The centres both showed what passing centres can do. Harris' kicking is virtually flawless. CFS looks impressive, silky skills positionally aware, dangerous in attack. Samo looked solid - I did like Vuna looking up at Samo when about to pick and drive, then deciding to run around him.

The only one that looked lost was Lucas - but by the looks of it the backline has readjusted to Cooper, and are expecting better service. Tough shoes to fill.

You were playing the Rebels, not the ABs or even Wales.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
And that means they weren't trying to display their skills?

Erm, no, of course it doesn't mean that.

It means they were able to deploy their game plan with greater effect.

Scoring nine tries against the Taranaki Under 7 Girls Team using a ten man approach, vs. scoring no tries against the ABs using an attacking style, doesn't mean the attacking style is less like to result in tries.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Erm, no, of course it doesn't mean that.

It means they were able to deploy their game plan with greater effect.

Scoring nine tries against the Taranaki Under 7 Girls Team using a ten man approach, vs. scoring no tries against the ABs using an attacking style, doesn't mean the attacking style is less like to result in tries.
Not sure what point you are making - I was commenting that the Reds looked like they had gone out with a different style than they usually use in response to the wallabies selections.

Quade showed he can play Barnes' tactical game, and manned up in defence.

The Centres showed a kicking/passing game - absent from the wallabies current selection.

It doesn't matter the result - or the opposition. They looked like they went out with the mentality to show their skills and earn Wallaby jerseys.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Not sure what point you are making - I was commenting that the Reds looked like they had gone out with a different style than they usually use in response to the wallabies selections.

Quade showed he can play Barnes' tactical game, and manned up in defence.

The Centres showed a kicking/passing game - absent from the wallabies current selection.

It doesn't matter the result - or the opposition. They looked like they went out with the mentality to show their skills and earn Wallaby jerseys.

Sorry mate, when you said:

I thought the Reds players in response to the recent wallabies displays were calculated and impressive.

I thought you were offering a comparison.

Reactions: DPK
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom