• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship 2012: Our Backline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cooper did look good in the half of football he played, but the Rebels were terrible.

I really don't think much can be read into it.

I still think Barnes is in the box seat for the 10 jersey in the first test against the All Blacks and Cooper will need to make him look silly when the Tahs play the Reds in two weeks time to change that.

That's my opinion anyway.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
We know super form doesn't count for selections anyway.

Agree though that the tahs v reds matchups could be very important.

T

Train Without a Station

What about the mail that Bernard Foley could play 10 for the Tahs for the last 2 games. I agree that Barnes could likely hang on to the test jersey, but it is a little concerning if that happens yet him and Cooper don't go head to head, due to him being pushed out to 12 by his franchise, effectively saying he's not the best 10 in NSW, but he is the best 10 in Aus.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Barnes has never been as good a 10 in Super Rugby as he has been in test rugby.

I would be interested to know whether Robbie Deans has had any influence on Barnes being selected at 12.

It would be interesting if we saw Barnes vs McCabe this weekend and then Barnes went back to 10 for Barnes vs Cooper next weekend.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
If anything, it may not be such a bad thing with O'Connor out. Instead of reshuffling the whole fucking backline from the Wales series to accomodate him, combinations can remained settled going into the Championship.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I think Deans will stick with the same halves pairing, provided everyone is fit. I think Beale will be named at fullback, but spend most of the time at Flyhalf.

With that said, there is every chance Cooper could pull out some special performances over the next few weeks and every chance Barnes will look decided average for the Tahs.

Also if the Reds can make the finals, maybe even progress to the semis, (whilst Barnes sits on his hands) Cooper would look a ore favourable choice.

I thought the Wallabies were very good (at least in patches) during the Welsh series, but they aren't going to beat the All Blacks twice in consecutive weeks playing like that (probably not even once). They were good at the breakdown, defence wasn't terrible and ran hot and cold in the set piece. These areas don't concern me as much as our lack of attacking creativity. With O'Connor on the sideline, I think Cooper might be a necessity.

I'm really hoping that Drew Mitchell finds some form over the next two weeks. He is a world class winger.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Also if the Reds can make the finals, maybe even progress to the semis, (whilst Barnes sits on his hands) Cooper would look a ore favourable choice.

Barnes will probably be at Wallaby training whilst Cooper is preparing for a finals appearance.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Genia
Cooper
Ioane
Barnes
Beale - great tackler, runner and passer. Similar size to Connie smith. I'd love to see it trialled.
Mitchell/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
JOC (James O'Connor) - if not here as a roving winger but I'd love to see him play FB

Will this happen? No. But I'd love to see sit trialled

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Cooper is looking better and better, and not just in attack - his front line defence has been very good.

Barnes is looking more average as a playmaker, but pretty good running and as normal good in attack.

Cooper and Barnes are the 10/12 combo for me.

T

TOCC

Coopers defence does seem to have improved...he is using his shoulder more in tackles then he used to

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
What's everyone's thoughts on Ben Tapuai? He was in brilliant form and was QLDs best back before his injury. Is he worth a spot in the squad? I'm feeling that injury ruined his national chances untill the EOYT, but I do see him as a long-term prospect at 13 or 12, he has the all round capabilities needed. Thoughts? Obviously not ready yet but next season he could be contesting with Ashley-Cooper, Horne and Fainga'a for the 13 jersey.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
What's everyone's thoughts on Ben Tapuai? He was in brilliant form and was QLDs best back before his injury. Is he worth a spot in the squad? I'm feeling that injury ruined his national chances untill the EOYT, but I do see him as a long-term prospect at 13 or 12, he has the all round capabilities needed. Thoughts? Obviously not ready yet but next season he could be contesting with Ashley-Cooper, Horne and Fainga'a for the 13 jersey.
If he stays un-broken, he's a big prospect. More likely next year though. I have high hopes for him.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Tapuai is an absolute gem, I hope the Reds manage to keep him. McCabe's been alright this year, but Tapuai at his peak is a definite upgrade - you lose none of the defence that McCabe brings, and you also get an excellent ball runner and linking player. If he stays with the Reds, a Genia-Cooper-Tapuai combo for the Reds and the Wallabies will be absolutely lethal.

T

TOCC

Tapuai is an absolute gem, I hope the Reds manage to keep him. McCabe's been alright this year, but Tapuai at his peak is a definite upgrade - you lose none of the defence that McCabe brings, and you also get an excellent ball runner and linking player. If he stays with the Reds, a Genia-Cooper-Tapuai combo for the Reds and the Wallabies will be absolutely lethal.

It is a rather promising combination.. Doesn't hurt if you have the likes of Ioane mixing it up in there as well..
Tapuai was the form Reds player for the first part of this season, and played a rather important but unassuming role in the Reds taking out the Super Rugby Championship last year, hopefully he gets included in the Wallabies squad in 2012..

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Cooper slung the guy over his leg, not too different to what Langer has done in the past. First time I have ever seen that penalised, to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.