• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship Backrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
4. Horwill/Fardy (if Horwill is rested)
5. MMM
6. Kimlin
7. Gill
8. Mowen

I would be fucking delighted if this combination were to be picked. Would physically enforce themselves on to the ABs

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
You know what G&GR player ratings were of Kane Douglas and his 3 tests against the Lions: 6, 4, 4.
I thought that these ratings were on the kind side as well.

Have a look around - there are a lot of people here, and not many of them have seen a rugby game from what I'm getting...

Which leaves Simmons. Who isn't 10cm shorter as you say Pfitzy,

I said he plays like he's 10cm shorter than he is. Boy amongst men.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
It is tricky selecting a back row without reference to the rest of the pack as each player brings slightly different strengths.

We need:

guys who won't be easily pushed around

a lineout caller

lineout jumpers

effective work at the breakdown

strong defenders

ball runners with impact

The 7 jersey seems to be between Gill and Hooper, in the absence of Pocock. I suspect that McKenzie will switch between them depending on his tactics, although I think you lose very little with one or the other. You could argue that Gill is a better fetcher and Hooper the more dynamic runner, but they both do all that is required of the position very well. It may be that Hooper starts the first match because McKenzie doesn't want too many first time starters running out, but I'd quite like to see what Gill can do as a starter with Hooper coming late with his strong running.

No 8 is a problem with Hiigginbotham and Palu injured. Mowen looks like the guy for the job, but I hope we make his life easier at scrum time by picking a tight 5 that doesn't get sent backwards all the time. He will do the job well, but my only reservation is whether he can crash through (well, into) an All Black defensive effectively (something like Lelia Masaga would be ideal).

I think the No 6 needs to cover whatever the other two are weak in. So if Hooper starts maybe the 6 needs to be a strong lineout jumper, not so if it is Gill (I think). With Mowen starting at 8, another ball runner would be nice. I think Kimlin could cover both needs very well, and I like the idea of an in form guy from an in form Super team (ie winning) getting a run for the Wallabies.

So that is my long winded way of saying:

Kimlin, Gill, Mowen with Hooper on the bench (even though he has done nothing wrong and I'm happy to see him start).

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
G. Smith.
I don't care about contracts and retirements and Japan. Just make it happen. Smith at 6, Mowen at 8 and Gill/Hooper at 7. Probably Hooper as Smith provides all the on the ground stuff so we could afford to have a ball-running 7... whatever that is

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
As a prop I taught a league winger how to push and lock properly in ten minutes.

If that's what you're grasping at, please pick up your hair gel, crocs, and your copy of Men's Health, and go wait with the other backs while we talk about rugby.
Fuck me! I had to read it half a dozen times to be sure you even wrote that!

I have a similar story, as a lock, I taught a soccer midfielder how to eat pies and whinge about second rowers in 10 minutes too!
Haha! Sorry mate, couldn't resist. You props are funny ones, you are!

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
G. Smith.
I don't care about contracts and retirements and Japan. Just make it happen. Smith at 6, Mowen at 8 and Gill/Hooper at 7. Probably Hooper as Smith provides all the on the ground stuff so we could afford to have a ball-running 7. whatever that is
pretty sure if (and its a big if) there was some way around making Smith eligible you wouldnt go picking him out of position at 6

Status
Not open for further replies.