• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship in an Aussie bubble?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Correct. All that would be required,as a maximum, is that the Wallabies train in isolation for 2 weeks before the first game. And for NZ to do the the same when they come over here. However, as the players will be coming out of pre-existing strict biosecurity environments you would expect that the more pertinent requirement be that these continue. It's a 10 day incubation period so I'd say the Wallabies could go into a 2 week biosecure camp here, be tested on day 1, then again on day 10 (probably one in between as well), and fly out on day 11. Similar NZ for the return trip.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Ok I thought like the film crews that arrived there they had to quaratine1
Yes they did. What he is saying is that there isn’t a travel bubble. A travel bubble means that the populus within it can move around freely. It doesn’t prohibit people outside it coming into it, but if they do (as is currently the case) they have to agree to certain conditions. The travel bubble doesn’t exist at this point in time, NZ is rightly isolating itself.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yes they did. What he is saying is that there isn’t a travel bubble. A travel bubble means that the populus within it can move around freely. It doesn’t prohibit people outside it coming into it, but if they do (as is currently the case) they have to agree to certain conditions. The travel bubble doesn’t exist at this point in time, NZ is rightly isolating itself.

Yep that was what I was saying, and why I have serious doubts about any Bledisloe this year, I understand there no bubble. I think when Kiap said that teams could get in but not ordinary people like me, he may of just forgot I a kiwi. Just crossed wire we all knew the same stuff:D

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
when Kiap said that teams could get in but not ordinary people like me, he may of just forgot I .......
You might be rushing when reading and writing.

Or perhaps disingenuous, or not the full quid?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You might be rushing when reading and writing.

Or perhaps disingenuous, or not the full quid?

Sorry mate,I think I miss understood your first post when you said that a travel bubble was not a requirement for tests and there would be other arrangements. there would have to be quarantine I think which is what I think would make it too hard for just one or 2 games. It could be done , but doubt it.
The travel bubble (while totally desirable) is not a necessary requirement for Bledisloe matches inside - or outside - NZ.
It would require other arrangements.
A bubble is for ordinary mug punters to travel in normal ways … and, sadly for you, this won't happen in 2020.
Yet cross-Tasman travel still goes on.

Jaguardo

Peter Burge (5)
Look, if it is on and there is a travel bubble I'd even make a plan to go there, but I cannot see the AB's lose a game.

The Saffa and Argie players who are based in UK and Ireland will be coming in with some game time but the Saffas back in SA and in Japan (unless it starts) won't have had much if anything at all.

I understand that the tournament would be played in November and the first half of December. European clubs must release players by the end of October. On the other hand, the last pumas/jaguares that ended their link with the UAR in December and signed for European clubs are joining these clubs after the RC (De La Fuente, Orlando, Alemanno). In addition, Gonzalo Quesada (former HC of Jaguares and new HC of Stade Français had said that Sánchez, Matera and Kremer would be released to participate in the argentinian international side).
The UAR had already submitted the protocol to the Argentine government to begin training in a "health bubble" (Casa Jaguar, eventually) and intended, if possible, to move to NZL or AUS by mid-September).

Ledesma's list to prepare the RC (60 players → in bold those who are already in Europe and would be added later):

Loosehead Props (7)
Calles, Díaz, Gigena, Tetaz Chaparro, Vivas, Wegrzyn, Zeiss.

Tighthead props (6)
Gómez Kodela, Herrera, Medrano, Pieretto, Sclavi, Sordoni.

Hookers (4)
Bosch, Montoya, Creevy, Socino.

Locks (6)
Alemanno, Calas, Fernandez Criado, Lavanini, Paulos, Petti.

Loose Forwards (11)
Bruni, Gorrisen, Grondona, Isa, Kremer, Lezana, Matera, Montagner, Ortega Desio, Oviedo, Pedemonte.

Scrum-Halves (4)
Bertranou, Cubelli, Ezcurra, Garcia,

Fly-Halves (6)
Albornoz, Sanchez, Urdapilleta, Miotti, Diaz Bonilla, Fernandez.

Centres (7)
12: Chocobares, De la Fuente, Mensa, Mallia.
13: Castro, Moroni, Orlando,

Wings (6)
Cancelliere, M. Carreras, S. Carreras, Cordero, Delguy, Moyano.

Fullbacks (3)
Bofelli, Daireaux, Tuculet.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Much to my surprise WR (World Rugby) ExComm has approved a Temporary International Window from 24/10 to 5/12.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...en-light-to-rugby-championship-in-new-zealand

Subject to WR (World Rugby) Council rubber-stamp on 30 July.

Edit: that's a seven-week window so taking quarantine into account (assuming it's still in place, as I believe it will be) they're still at least a week short for a two-round TRC.

I am not sure how it will work, must be tough for Boks and Pumas if a lot haven't played a lot of rugby , and then the lockdown part of it. Still I think most of us would prefer something like that than the proposed 4 test series between AB/Wallabies, maybe a little hard to maintain interest for 4 test series when we already play each other so much!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Comments from new bokke coach casting doubt on whether SA will take part:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=12351218

TLDR: envisages needing 45 players but believes they'd need at least six rounds of Currie Cup before coming out. Elsewhere he's quoted re: the issue of expecting players to leave their families for six-plus weeks with Covid still a huge problem in SA: e.g. what happens if a players close relative gets sick or dies.

I think it's becoming more & more likely that the Temporary Window will allow some Wobs to be brought back for a four- or God help us five-match Bledisloe series.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

TLDR: envisages needing 45 players but believes they'd need at least six rounds of Currie Cup before coming out. Elsewhere he's quoted re: the issue of expecting players to leave their families for six-plus weeks with Covid still a huge problem in SA: e.g. what happens if a players close relative gets sick or dies.

I think it's becoming more & more likely that the Temporary Window will allow some Wobs to be brought back for a four- or God help us five-match Bledisloe series.

I wonder if there are enough ineligible players across Aus and NZ super rugby? Might be looking at a Barbarians side playing a game or 2, even if it's against Australia/New Zealand A sides

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I wonder if there are enough ineligible players across Aus and NZ super rugby? Might be looking at a Barbarians side playing a game or 2, even if it's against Australia/New Zealand A sides

Like the idea of barbarians side - got to be creative in current climate

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Five thumpings on the trot will do wonders for the game here.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
You forget that Ian Foster is the coach. As we saw with the 2016-2019 AB's, trying to get by with sub-par coaching without an obnoxiously OP squad is not a good strategy and is readily undone by good coaches. Rennie is a good coach.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Don't see it happening. SA teams have just returned to training, without contact.

Japanese based players will not have played at all for remainder of the year.

European players only start games mid-August.

No firm start date for Currie Cup / Mini Sup.

To expect players to go into a test series with total lack of preparation would be nothing but irresponsible.

Add weeks away from home, possible Quarantine issues etc.

It would be mental.

How about three team series with All Blacks "A"? I'm serious.

Would the Argies be coming for sure? That makes 4 teams.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I understand that the tournament would be played in November and the first half of December. European clubs must release players by the end of October. On the other hand, the last pumas/jaguares that ended their link with the UAR in December and signed for European clubs are joining these clubs after the RC (De La Fuente, Orlando, Alemanno). In addition, Gonzalo Quesada (former HC of Jaguares and new HC of Stade Français had said that Sánchez, Matera and Kremer would be released to participate in the argentinian international side).
The UAR had already submitted the protocol to the Argentine government to begin training in a "health bubble" (Casa Jaguar, eventually) and intended, if possible, to move to NZL or AUS by mid-September).

Ledesma's list to prepare the RC (60 players → in bold those who are already in Europe and would be added later):

Does this mean they will be ready to take a trip to NZ?

"Urdapilleta"
- Had a terrible game against England in Japan. Where did this guy suddenly come from? I thought that was a huge selection mistake.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I just can't see it working, just to unfair on SA and Arg. Don't even see how the 8 nations up north will work, Japan's players wouldn't have played any rugby either, so don't know how they could play tests.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We may have a vaccine early nest year so international rugby more likely in 2021 - presuming the countries involved quickly get things under control.

With respect, will that include RSA?

A five series bled in 2020 is easily a step too far. Need to look to local barbarians and Aus A + NZ Maoris or similar.

Even warm up games, AB/WB v the Super teams.